Living with a McLaren 650s Spider as an (almost) daily

Living with a McLaren 650s Spider as an (almost) daily

Author
Discussion

SSO

887 posts

149 months

Tuesday 14th July
quotequote all
650spider said:
SSO said:
I just posted an update on our site about using my 650S Spider as a daily driver for the last 5 years. It's been terrific.
Another great write up on your site.

Your experience pretty much mirrors my 650 spider ownership.

It is just an all round fantastic car and a real sweet spot for McLaren...it does seems as though more people are finally catching on.

It speaks volumes that with your current and previous amazing car history that its the longest serving daily driver and you plan to keep it as such for the next 'x' amount of years.
Thanks. Agree that more people are now catching on which I am very glad to see.

WilliamWaiver

403 posts

3 months

Tuesday 14th July
quotequote all
SSO said:
Thanks. Agree that more people are now catching on which I am very glad to see.
Haven't you got a 675LT spider as well ? Thats must be epic and the real sweet spot of the McLaren range. I've heard its a totally different beast to the standard 650S and justfifies over twice the price ?

SSO

887 posts

149 months

Tuesday 14th July
quotequote all
WilliamWaiver said:
Haven't you got a 675LT spider as well ? Thats must be epic and the real sweet spot of the McLaren range. I've heard its a totally different beast to the standard 650S and justfifies over twice the price ?
I do. It's a completely different car with a very different use case. Of all the McLaren's I've driven, it is still my favorite.

WilliamWaiver

403 posts

3 months

Wednesday 15th July
quotequote all
SSO said:
I do. It's a completely different car with a very different use case. Of all the McLaren's I've driven, it is still my favorite.
Yeah me too hence why I am on look out for one.
Want high spec low mileage MSO spider example in napier Green or papaya spark orange so prepared to wait for right car.
Just hope I haven't left it too late and miss out

davek_964

Original Poster:

6,966 posts

133 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
Took the car on a fairly quick run early on Saturday morning and was quite lucky I didn't damage my new paint. Braked hard while approaching a bend, and I must have got caught in a rut in the road - car pulled to the left and hence got way too close to the undergrowth - enough so that I had to clear leaves etc. out of the bottom of the mirror and the side intake when I got back. Fortunately, absolutely zero damage - I'm guessing the PPF paid for itself here and stopped any scratches to the paint.

Although I'm pretty sure it's unrelated - the car has still braked fine every other time I've used it - I have put the tyres back to their normal pressure. Although I did notice a slight difference when I reduced the pressure, I didn't notice anything when I returned it to normal. Car goes in for the accumulator to be replaced next week although I'm not expecting it to change much.

I'm trying to decide if I do have some problem at the front of the car. It seems like almost every time I use the car after it's been parked, there is a bit of a clonk from the front about 5s after pulling away. However - it makes no sense because it only ever seems to do it when the car has been parked (I've not heard it any other time, and I did 200 miles yesterday), and it seems unrelated to whether I've used lift or not. I can't think of anything which would explain this so at the moment, I'm still not 100% I'm not imaging it.

Yesterday, I noticed an imperfection on my front roof panel - or more precisely, on the PPF. It looked like 4 or 5 small dimples in an area about the size of a 10p piece. It seems it was pure luck I noticed it - even though I know it's there now, I struggle to see it - although I can feel it - so I guess the light was just right when I noticed it yesterday.
For a completely different reason, I opened the roof lid today and then left it open - and by chance noticed the cause. There are zip ties holding the cables to a plastic popper in the roof lid on each side. On the passenger side, mine wasn't staying fully inserted into the lid - and in addition, the short (cut) end of the zip tie was facing the roof - and hence when the roof is lowered and the lid closes, has been pushing onto the lid.
I fixed the popper so it now stays fully inserted and rotated the zip tie - and secured it with a bit of tape so it can't spin now.



A common problem with these cars seems to be that they report "key not found" when you try to start them. It's not a problem I've ever had with mine - until we were trying to leave a restaurant on Saturday evening. It absolutely refused to recognise the key - even tried locking / unlocking the car (buttons worked fine). Moved the key all over the place, with little success - eventually it fired up. Took about 5 mins, which is much longer than it sounds when you're trying to start a car. Hasn't done it since.

I still want to buy another car to replace the Ferrari so I can try to keep the miles a bit more sensible on the 650 - it rolled over 12k at the weekend, and I've done about 350 miles since then. Problem is, most of the miles are because I find an excuse to use the 650 - not because I actually need to go anywhere.
One of the cars I'm considering is a Z4 - and in fact, there is one at a local dealer which ticks all the boxes. Nice colour, has the options I want, only 4 years old and is an approved car so at least a years warranty, and ~25k miles. Problem is, it's a bit..... dull. I haven't driven it yet, but part of the problem is I'm not sure I even want to that much - which means it's probably not a car I should be buying! I may wait 6 months and look around again - having this week off is giving me too much time to browse cars.

Last few days with the sun shining have been great. And the car just seems to look better and better.


IMI A

7,999 posts

159 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
Forget the Z4. Use the 650s 24/7 - looks amazing and car will be better for it smile

IMI A

7,999 posts

159 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
Oh forgot to mention you'll feel better too using her all the time. Win win wink

Chrisatronic

215 posts

57 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
If it’s a 35iS they’re much more interesting than people give credit for. I had one mapped to 400bhp and it made a great noise, but definitely more of a GT than a sports car as the body isn’t the stiffest.

AstonExige

533 posts

65 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
From experience (not a Mclaren) don't get a sports orientated car, you'll drive it and it will always feel it doesn't hit the mark. Go for something completely different, so there is no comparison. Maybe something super luxurious, a big Merc, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne? So you appreciate it for what it is, really notice the difference when you jump between them. I used to love jumping in my Range Rover, full fat Autobiography. Sat high, big'ol steering wheel, waft around in pure luxury smile

davek_964

Original Poster:

6,966 posts

133 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
AstonExige said:
From experience (not a Mclaren) don't get a sports orientated car, you'll drive it and it will always feel it doesn't hit the mark. Go for something completely different, so there is no comparison. Maybe something super luxurious, a big Merc, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne? So you appreciate it for what it is, really notice the difference when you jump between them. I used to love jumping in my Range Rover, full fat Autobiography. Sat high, big'ol steering wheel, waft around in pure luxury smile
Already have a Cayenne. I want something that's still reasonable fun but not necessarily quick - the Alfa Spider I had until last year did the job well, but I'd like something newer.

The Z4 I looked at was a 20i - I'm not looking for 'fast' but if / when I drive it, I may find I want faster - although the Alfa wasn't quick but did what I wanted.

I actually don't want anything too sporty. I'm considering various cars but while summer is here will probably stick with the McLaren. The reality is, I'm unlikely to drive anything else anyway so winter will be a better time to look.

(Having had a couple of 911s, Cayman and Boxster are not on the list).

MAC 720S

1,168 posts

105 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Already have a Cayenne. I want something that's still reasonable fun but not necessarily quick - the Alfa Spider I had until last year did the job well, but I'd like something newer.

The Z4 I looked at was a 20i - I'm not looking for 'fast' but if / when I drive it, I may find I want faster - although the Alfa wasn't quick but did what I wanted.

I actually don't want anything too sporty. I'm considering various cars but while summer is here will probably stick with the McLaren. The reality is, I'm unlikely to drive anything else anyway so winter will be a better time to look.

(Having had a couple of 911s, Cayman and Boxster are not on the list).
I’ve covered 15K miles in 14 months in the 720S - these Mac’s are addictive. I’m on the hunt for a totally different car to distract me from the Mac, which will likely be a 2007+ Bentley Arnage T. 500bhp stately home.

Ferruccio

1,317 posts

77 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
If you want a mobile stately home, a Cullinan’s the thing.

MAC 720S

1,168 posts

105 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
If you want a mobile stately home, a Cullinan’s the thing.
Already have a Range Rover as the family bus. The Cullinan is pig ugly and 5 x price of my budget. Just always fancied having a proper big Bentley to waft around in which will complete the circle of my eclectic collection of vehicles.

likesachange

2,012 posts

152 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Already have a Cayenne. I want something that's still reasonable fun but not necessarily quick - the Alfa Spider I had until last year did the job well, but I'd like something newer.

The Z4 I looked at was a 20i - I'm not looking for 'fast' but if / when I drive it, I may find I want faster - although the Alfa wasn't quick but did what I wanted.

I actually don't want anything too sporty. I'm considering various cars but while summer is here will probably stick with the McLaren. The reality is, I'm unlikely to drive anything else anyway so winter will be a better time to look.

(Having had a couple of 911s, Cayman and Boxster are not on the list).
Something like a Mustang? At least you have a nice N/A V8 to potter about in and am sure would be pretty engaging when called upon.....

The New Z4's are lovely btw...

davek_964

Original Poster:

6,966 posts

133 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
likesachange said:
Something like a Mustang? At least you have a nice N/A V8 to potter about in and am sure would be pretty engaging when called upon.....

The New Z4's are lovely btw...
I toyed with the idea of a Mustang - but one of my g/f's friends has one and when I saw it, it didn't do much for me.
In reality, it's not really ideal anyway - I'm trying to keep the budget to under £20k, and ideally something that manages mpg in the 30s. A 'sensible' car.

likesachange

2,012 posts

152 months

Tuesday 21st July
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I toyed with the idea of a Mustang - but one of my g/f's friends has one and when I saw it, it didn't do much for me.
In reality, it's not really ideal anyway - I'm trying to keep the budget to under £20k, and ideally something that manages mpg in the 30s. A 'sensible' car.
Yes I am still on the fence with the mustangs.. has the right ingredients but not sure the quote recipe is there.

20k... dare I say it a Civic FK2. A complete Riot and hoodlum to drive very very capable... but you have to have zero care of what others think.

Megane Trophy another sublime hatch. Like most things you really have to push it to find out how good they are.

Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf.. pretty car, comfortable, pretty exclusive and pokey

12pack

1,125 posts

126 months

Wednesday 22nd July
quotequote all
Or go for something totally different....

When I feel like driving it’s the Mac or the V12V.

When I don’t feel like driving - just commuting without engagement - it’s the Tesla. Funny thing is that while commuting it’s actually so much quicker off the line, or for a quick overtake, than even the Mac. No warranty - and no service - needed.

Edited by 12pack on Wednesday 22 July 17:54

xcentric

467 posts

177 months

Wednesday 22nd July
quotequote all
I think my approach would be to decide to say - hang the miles, you only live once, and drive it.

But if you want to keep miles down:
very PH I know, but how about an MX-5 for everyday driving fun? Or an older Evo/Impreza? Caterham? GTI Golf MkV?

or completely different, and have a Defender?

davek_964

Original Poster:

6,966 posts

133 months

Wednesday 22nd July
quotequote all
The mileage thing is really just that I want to keep below 12k a year so that the extended warranty is still valid - plus I'd prefer to only pay for one service a year.

We're not really talking about occasional use. wink

SELON

1,123 posts

87 months

Thursday 23rd July
quotequote all
You like driving cars, then how about a Lotus. An Evora 400/410 (or even 430) would be a great match (certainly most comfortable / D.D. of the current range) or maybe go more raw for an Exige. Or go for the most fun with an Elise. You can easily put plenty of miles on them and offer a very different- but still incredibly fun - driving experience.