My 720s has gone boom

My 720s has gone boom

Author
Discussion

Gary C

5,419 posts

127 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Yeah, you can read loads about me into that fella...
Half of pistonheads finds a bit of amusement in this kind of sensationalist attention grabbing bullst and the other half (I'm including you in this bit) seem to think everyone is only taking the piss because they're jealous laugh.....

Yeah ok, crack on sweetheart
And some of us are Grown ups.

tuscaneer

6,626 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Gary C said:
And some of us are Grown ups.
Well done gary.clap

Gary C

5,419 posts

127 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Gary C said:
And some of us are Grown ups.
Well done gary.clap
smile

Sorry, couldn't resist

tuscaneer

6,626 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Gary C said:
tuscaneer said:
Gary C said:
And some of us are Grown ups.
Well done gary.clap
smile

Sorry, couldn't resist
The real question is if we are 50% pisstakers and 50% sensationalist bullstters then how much percentage is left for grown upsbiggrin

EpsomJames

761 posts

194 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Lotus'es used to do this all the time, the coolant pipe would pop off the radiator, sometimes resulting in a massive plume of steam in the engine bay.

Hand-built British cars you get used to it. Just need to identify what is steam and what is smoke.


Gary C

5,419 posts

127 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Gary C said:
tuscaneer said:
Gary C said:
And some of us are Grown ups.
Well done gary.clap
smile

Sorry, couldn't resist
The real question is if we are 50% pisstakers and 50% sensationalist bullstters then how much percentage is left for grown upsbiggrin
Exactly !

ian-0vc7e

Original Poster:

9 posts

1 month

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Sorry about the £157k out of bank account thing. I wasn’t a cash buyer. I financed it as they came up with a stupidly impressive APR of 3%. I meant that I’m personally liable for ‘that’ amount of money. And as anyone can see what they are currently retailing for I didn’t think it would be seen as a brag. Just thought it would be quicker to say ‘just took £157k off me’ than go into all the financing details. Wow it is a tough crowd here. I’ll watch what I say going forward!!! New to this forum lark!

Anyway. More interestingly. I picked up a hire car today, a 720s Spider. Which I have to say, got more attention being in Azore Orange rather than my white (if that’s what ppl are looking for). I have to say it’s kinda frustrating as I dropped the top down and much prefer the spider lol.

Then I got a call saying their master technician is personally working on it at Ascot and I would be getting it back Friday. But in the meantime as they need the 720s back they are going to personally meet me and drop me a new 600LT spider as a second replacement.

I’m waiting for the third car now, perhaps a senna. Anyway, I have to say McLaren have been super amazing. Customer service top notch and I’ve managed to have extended test drive in two Lon cars which has taken the edge off a bit!


Stryke

558 posts

110 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
You mean the dealer has been amazing?

Taffy66

3,023 posts

50 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
ian-0vc7e said:
Sorry about the £157k out of bank account thing. I wasn’t a cash buyer. I financed it as they came up with a stupidly impressive APR of 3%. I meant that I’m personally liable for ‘that’ amount of money. And as anyone can see what they are currently retailing for I didn’t think it would be seen as a brag. Just thought it would be quicker to say ‘just took £157k off me’ than go into all the financing details. Wow it is a tough crowd here. I’ll watch what I say going forward!!! New to this forum lark!

Anyway. More interestingly. I picked up a hire car today, a 720s Spider. Which I have to say, got more attention being in Azore Orange rather than my white (if that’s what ppl are looking for). I have to say it’s kinda frustrating as I dropped the top down and much prefer the spider lol.

Then I got a call saying their master technician is personally working on it at Ascot and I would be getting it back Friday. But in the meantime as they need the 720s back they are going to personally meet me and drop me a new 600LT spider as a second replacement.

I’m waiting for the third car now, perhaps a senna. Anyway, I have to say McLaren have been super amazing. Customer service top notch and I’ve managed to have extended test drive in two Lon cars which has taken the edge off a bit!

Don't let a few forum bullies put you off posting in the future as i've been subjected to it myself over on the Porsche forum..Its either a secret initiation ceremony or more likely the green eyed monster rearing its ugly head,
Brilliant service from your McLaren dealer in offering you both a 720 Spider and a new 600LT Spider as courtesy cars,,You wouldn't get that from a Ferrari or Porsche dealer in my experience..

justin220

4,240 posts

152 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
That really is excellent service. And it is exactly what McLaren should be doing.

Great chance to experience the 720S and 600LT spiders aswell, it'd be great to hear what you think of the two of them

davek_964

6,187 posts

123 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I think if McLaren offered me a 720 Spider (or any of the LTs) as a courtesy car I'd politely decline. I really don't want to be tempted by something I can't afford!

foxsasha

1,290 posts

83 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ian-0vc7e said:
Sorry about the £157k out of bank account thing. I wasn’t a cash buyer. I financed it as they came up with a stupidly impressive APR of 3%. I meant that I’m personally liable for ‘that’ amount of money. And as anyone can see what they are currently retailing for I didn’t think it would be seen as a brag. Just thought it would be quicker to say ‘just took £157k off me’ than go into all the financing details. Wow it is a tough crowd here. I’ll watch what I say going forward!!! New to this forum lark!

Anyway. More interestingly. I picked up a hire car today, a 720s Spider. Which I have to say, got more attention being in Azore Orange rather than my white (if that’s what ppl are looking for). I have to say it’s kinda frustrating as I dropped the top down and much prefer the spider lol.

Then I got a call saying their master technician is personally working on it at Ascot and I would be getting it back Friday. But in the meantime as they need the 720s back they are going to personally meet me and drop me a new 600LT spider as a second replacement.

I’m waiting for the third car now, perhaps a senna. Anyway, I have to say McLaren have been super amazing. Customer service top notch and I’ve managed to have extended test drive in two Lon cars which has taken the edge off a bit!

The forums full of dheads, take no notice.

tuscaneer

6,626 posts

173 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ian-0vc7e said:
Sorry about the £157k out of bank account thing. I wasn’t a cash buyer. I financed it as they came up with a stupidly impressive APR of 3%. I meant that I’m personally liable for ‘that’ amount of money. And as anyone can see what they are currently retailing for I didn’t think it would be seen as a brag. Just thought it would be quicker to say ‘just took £157k off me’ than go into all the financing details. Wow it is a tough crowd here. I’ll watch what I say going forward!!! New to this forum lark!

Anyway. More interestingly. I picked up a hire car today, a 720s Spider. Which I have to say, got more attention being in Azore Orange rather than my white (if that’s what ppl are looking for). I have to say it’s kinda frustrating as I dropped the top down and much prefer the spider lol.

Then I got a call saying their master technician is personally working on it at Ascot and I would be getting it back Friday. But in the meantime as they need the 720s back they are going to personally meet me and drop me a new 600LT spider as a second replacement.

I’m waiting for the third car now, perhaps a senna. Anyway, I have to say McLaren have been super amazing. Customer service top notch and I’ve managed to have extended test drive in two Lon cars which has taken the edge off a bit!

piss taking and banter aside fella..(no hard feelings, i just like to take the piss a bit)..... that is a seriously good finance deal and you would have been nuts not to take it on.

the dealer sounds like they are going the extra mile for you here as well which is nice to hear as mclaren do get a fair bit of stick around pistonheads...

christ, reading how they are looking after you i may even be tempted out of the donkey!biggrin

Taffy66

3,023 posts

50 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I currently have Porsches and a Ferrari although i still believe that McLaren make the best cars in terms of driving enjoyment and looks..Looking forward to buy one in the near future..I hope that McLaren sort out these ownership issues as they deserve every success moving forward.

tuscaneer

6,626 posts

173 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I currently have Porsches and a Ferrari although i still believe that McLaren make the best cars in terms of driving enjoyment and looks..Looking forward to buy one in the near future..I hope that McLaren sort out these ownership issues as they deserve every success moving forward.
the only thing that terrifies me currently is the freefall depreciation and warranty issues. if there was ANY sort of indy network it would make the ownership proposition a lot easier to stomach for a lot of potential buyers...and so by creating a bigger market, future proofing values a bit better in my opinion.

Juno

3,886 posts

197 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Gary C said:
This post reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La03k7FzlZA
That was just a cheap Italian hose clip letting go, nothing more nothing less yikes

LooneyTunes

3,803 posts

106 months

Thursday
quotequote all
ian-0vc7e said:
I’ve nothing bad to say about them. They couldn’t have done any more so far. Do they read these boards?

They also said that they will upgrade all the hose fittings for me, and give me a 570 as a loaner. So far so good.

st happens, for 30 mins I was sat at the side of the road thinking my brand new car was going to burn to the ground. But now on reflection it’s not so bad. It’s repairable and I will report on how McLaren handle the repair which I don’t doubt will be first class.
I was going to query that ^^^ (given the very short period of ownership, I was a bit surprised that they hadn't put you in another 720.
) but then saw your subsequent post:

ian-0vc7e said:
Anyway. More interestingly. I picked up a hire car today, a 720s Spider. Which I have to say, got more attention being in Azore Orange rather than my white (if that’s what ppl are looking for). I have to say it’s kinda frustrating as I dropped the top down and much prefer the spider lol.

Then I got a call saying their master technician is personally working on it at Ascot and I would be getting it back Friday. But in the meantime as they need the 720s back they are going to personally meet me and drop me a new 600LT spider as a second replacement.

I’m waiting for the third car now, perhaps a senna. Anyway, I have to say McLaren have been super amazing. Customer service top notch and I’ve managed to have extended test drive in two Lon cars which has taken the edge off a bit!
Assuming the constant changes aren't a ballache, it sounds like they're letting you have some fun and responding well to the problem!

Were they proactive on the replacement cars or was there any pushing needed? I've been a little surprised that one of the other British marques has yet to offer up a car after one of ours failed to start, foxed their mobile team, and was recovered to the dealership more than a week ago. They know we have a few cars but I still thought they'd use it as an opportunity to tempt us. So far not even an offer of a replacement...

hyphen

11,465 posts

38 months

Thursday
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
it seems the average PH'er would have immediately thought : "Ah, coolant hose has popped off", got the spare hose clip out that they always carry with them, fixed it at the side of the road and filled up the coolant by unzipping their trousers and taking aim. ....
We should never have dropped the initiation ceremonies for new members.

RTB

7,298 posts

206 months

Thursday
quotequote all
EpsomJames said:
Lotus'es used to do this all the time, the coolant pipe would pop off the radiator, sometimes resulting in a massive plume of steam in the engine bay.

Hand-built British cars you get used to it. Just need to identify what is steam and what is smoke.
It does seem to be an issue with a lot of small volume car manufacturers. Not in the same league as as Mclaren, but when I took my Lotus Exige apart a couple of years ago it was surprising (and depressing) how almost all of the fixings, hoses, bushes etc were of the cheapest quality Lotus could find.

r o n n i e

40 posts

124 months

Thursday
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Taffy66 said:
I currently have Porsches and a Ferrari although i still believe that McLaren make the best cars in terms of driving enjoyment and looks..Looking forward to buy one in the near future..I hope that McLaren sort out these ownership issues as they deserve every success moving forward.
the only thing that terrifies me currently is the freefall depreciation and warranty issues. if there was ANY sort of indy network it would make the ownership proposition a lot easier to stomach for a lot of potential buyers...and so by creating a bigger market, future proofing values a bit better in my opinion.
It’s only really free fall if you buy brand new. For subsequent buyers, you are actually getting a bargain!!