The truth about buying a McLaren?

The truth about buying a McLaren?

Author
Discussion

jayemm89

2,495 posts

80 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Yes a Golf R will be devastatingly quick across a cold damp road, but the 600LT has far more grip than it has any right to, and crucially the compromise of a Golf is in the feel/feedback.

People keep telling me how fast Teslas are and I have no doubt but I cannot imagine they are the same kind of event that a McLaren is

Brooking10

8,214 posts

91 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Also is everyone a member of the Mcl UK owners club ? That worthwhile joining ?
Yes

And yes

Brooking10

8,214 posts

91 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
So being nosey for a minute, brroking have you lost somewhere approaching a hundred grand a piece on each of those 3 McLaren you bought new? As is often reported. How do you deal with the huge depreciation of them? FWIW I like the McLarens, I’m surprised the quality isn’t top notch from what’s reported. Like the colour of your latest one.

Edit I’ve just read other 600lt thread, you effectively use finance to pay ie a deposit and pay monthly, so not quite the same as buying it outright then selling later.

Edited by CoolHands on Wednesday 1st January 17:19
Not very much on the first one which I paid in full for

A horrendous amount on the second which I also bought for cash

As a result I have taken the third on finance so I have absolute certainty over the cost in the current market.

As for how do I deal it with ? Badly and of course there are many far more sensible things to spend one’s money on.

But it’s my hobby, it was an ambition to own a McLaren and as much as I would like a fleet of super cars of all various flavours I can’t afford one so have to run them one at a time and the McLaren experience is one that has got right under my skin.





Edited by Brooking10 on Wednesday 1st January 17:38

5050

235 posts

96 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Are any of you guys based in East London or London borders of Essex or Kent? .keen to get out for a drive when I’m back from hols but would be fun if could meet up with some other owners in that general area.
I am east london / Essex based, would be great to meet a fellow owner for a drive..

RSbandit

947 posts

82 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
123RY said:
I'm North Essex but willing to travel a little to join another mac for a jolly! Where do you usually go for a drive?
Hi 123 , I usually take the M11 out and then exit for Chipping Ongar, then take the B184 up through Dunmow and on then to Finchingfield , stop there for breakfast/lunch then turn around and back down the way I came...it’s a lovely run occasionally spoiled if getting stuck behind something big and slow! Essex a big county so haven’t explored it much more than that I’m sure there’re plenty of other nice drives to be had.

5050

235 posts

96 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Not very much on the first one which I paid in full for

A horrendous amount on the second which I also bought for cash

As a result I have taken the third on finance so I have absolute certainty over the cost

As for how do I deal it with ? Badly and of course there are many far more sensible things to spend one’s money on.

But it’s my hobby, it was an ambition to own a McLaren and as much as I would like a fleet of super cars of all various flavours I can’t afford one so have to run them one at a time and the McLaren experience is one that has got right under my skin.
Brooking10,

My experience mirrors yours, didn’t lose too much on the 1st, lost an obscene amount on the 2nd and now for my 3rd I am financing a 600LTS which will be far cheaper than my 2nd!

Edited to add my LTS is a near identical spec to yours!

Brooking10

8,214 posts

91 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
5050 said:
Brooking10,

My experience mirrors yours, didn’t lose too much on the 1st, lost an obscene amount on the 2nd and now for my 3rd I am financing a 600LTS which will be far cheaper than my 2nd!

Edited to add my LTS is a near identical spec to yours!
Enjoy it in good health !

I do think Chicane Effect is a great colour and love how it changes depending on the light.

Where did yours come from ?

123RY

20 posts

30 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Hi 123 , I usually take the M11 out and then exit for Chipping Ongar, then take the B184 up through Dunmow and on then to Finchingfield , stop there for breakfast/lunch then turn around and back down the way I came...it’s a lovely run occasionally spoiled if getting stuck behind something big and slow! Essex a big county so haven’t explored it much more than that I’m sure there’re plenty of other nice drives to be had.
Ahh done that road once or twice for getting to matching green. It is great, but as you said if behind someone it's tricky to get past. Essex is getting increasingly busier too. North of Dunmow towards steeple Bumpstead is great. I usually go further north into Suffolk where it's significantly quieter and you can enjoy roads to yourself sometimes!

Meeting at Chipping and then setting off would work well. Then parting after breakfast/lunch at Finchingfield.

Any dates spring to mind?

RSbandit

947 posts

82 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
123RY said:
Ahh done that road once or twice for getting to matching green. It is great, but as you said if behind someone it's tricky to get past. Essex is getting increasingly busier too. North of Dunmow towards steeple Bumpstead is great. I usually go further north into Suffolk where it's significantly quieter and you can enjoy roads to yourself sometimes!

Meeting at Chipping and then setting off would work well. Then parting after breakfast/lunch at Finchingfield.

Any dates spring to mind?
Sounds like a plan ! Sat Jan 11th perhaps weather permitting ? Also to 5050 who posted above if you fancy getting involved too let us know ... perhaps I’ll email you directly 123 so the thread here doesn’t get hijacked !

Hazmat1

33 posts

48 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Crazy4557 said:
Not sure how your driving style is but I've been out in an 600LT on a hoon with 6 other Macs this morning and we weren't hanging about. Mainly fast traffic free B Roads that were greasy and wet in places and at no time did I feel there was a traction issue let alone sweaty palms. I'm no driving god but this car doesn't have traction issues that are worthy of mention even giving it the beans in these conditions.
Great to see you today, (in the Merc Gts)

Certainly no issues exhibited by any of the McLarens on what was a very varied route on wet slippy cold roads when it came to getting power down and vanishing.

Did you get to Brooklands?

justin220

4,306 posts

154 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Also is everyone a member of the Mcl UK owners club ? That worthwhile joining ?
Yeah, excellent group. There is also a good free one you can join. MC Owners and Enthusiasts I think it's called

andrew

8,883 posts

142 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
Also is everyone a member of the Mcl UK owners club ? That worthwhile joining ?
briefly yes
and emphatically no !

Crazy4557

328 posts

144 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Hazmat1 said:
Great to see you today, (in the Merc Gts)

Certainly no issues exhibited by any of the McLarens on what was a very varied route on wet slippy cold roads when it came to getting power down and vanishing.

Did you get to Brooklands?
Yes, enjoyed it today, probably much like you. After stopping at Blackbushe Airport to rendezvous with other cars we had to shoot off home for other arrangements.
Catch up on the next meet maybe?

12pack

983 posts

118 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
People keep telling me how fast Teslas are and I have no doubt but I cannot imagine they are the same kind of event that a McLaren is
My MS P100D will leave my 650s for dead on initial accleration on any surface, at any road legal speed, standing or rolling. It’s not the acceleration - it’s the jerk (the rate of change of acceleration). One moment you are not accelerating, and the next you are at max acceleration.

But that’s about it from a performance perspective. A few seconds later the 650s will have picked up its skirts and will pass the Tesla like it’s standing still. And even though the weight is down low, the Tesla is still a 1000kg heavier 7 seater. No comparison on any fun road.

Still, the Tesla is the ideal daily driver, quiet, relaxing and immensely powerful. It’s fun to occasionally embarrass a noisy boy racer, without making a ridiculous noise in town.

Will be interesting if I do actually get a Tesla “2020” roadster that I’ve put a deposit down on sometime......

5050

235 posts

96 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Enjoy it in good health !

I do think Chicane Effect is a great colour and love how it changes depending on the light.

Where did yours come from ?
Thank you, you too!

I’ve not see Chicane Effect in the flesh yet as mine is still in build, sounds like a great colour!

I bought the first 2 from London but this deal was from Manchester.

Hazmat1

33 posts

48 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Crazy4557 said:
Yes, enjoyed it today, probably much like you. After stopping at Blackbushe Airport to rendezvous with other cars we had to shoot off home for other arrangements.
Catch up on the next meet maybe?
Much fun all around I think

Makes me chuckle re the Golf R comments though, the TTRS wasn’t hanging on to us let alone you guys up front.

Were you back before the rain?

AndrewD

7,011 posts

234 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
AndrewD said:
That looks mega! Congrats. So early impressions?
Very positive.

My frame of reference is not as extensive as yours but it feels like a very communicative car. Not as fast but more accessibly enjoyable than a 720S and very much lends a lie to the suggestion earlier that McLarens are somewhat inert. It feels quite a bit tighter than the 570S I had before, and the noise, enhanced by the access as a result of the Spier top/window, is the best I have heard by some margin from a factory Sport or Super Series car. I think we ate going to be very happy together smile

You bought from Hatfield too by the look of it. They impressed throughout as a easy and straightforward people to deal with.
thumbup great to hear

AndrewD

7,011 posts

234 months

Wednesday 1st January
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
AndrewD said:
Today I added this - picking up in a little over a week, can’t wait!

Curious choice of car surely given you have been quite vocal about most modern sports cars excluding I suppose the 991 GT cars you have had despite their huge number of ECUs (and about Mclaren in particular) where the computers make up far too much of the driving experience?
It’s a fair question but taken to its extreme it means I wouldn’t buy any modern car.
I do think older cars, by which I mean manuals with hydraulic steering or even non PAS, passive suspension, a bit more power than grip, lighter, with great induction and/or exhaust noise, are more fun and engaging to drive at their best.
But it’s always good to try different things and so long as the new cars carry over something from that thrill of driving the older ones, that works. It’s a question of finding the right things. And of course there is a whole world of things to discover. I like the Mac because it has hydraulic steering and relatively conventional suspension, and also what child doesn’t like exhausts with flames 3 feet behind your head through the open rear window smile
And for a modern car it is quite light and feels like you can chuck it around and have fun at sane speeds.

Martin-G

99 posts

45 months

Thursday 2nd January
quotequote all
Hazmat1 said:
Crazy4557 said:
Yes, enjoyed it today, probably much like you. After stopping at Blackbushe Airport to rendezvous with other cars we had to shoot off home for other arrangements.
Catch up on the next meet maybe?
Much fun all around I think

Makes me chuckle re the Golf R comments though, the TTRS wasn’t hanging on to us let alone you guys up front.

Were you back before the rain?
Hi guys, just worked out who is who. Great cross country NY day blast. Coming from AWD Audi’s (R8 and RS4) how the Mac manages to put power down in greasy conditions is astounding. Their traction control is in a different league... but unless you have driven one you won’t know. Also how they ride the B road lumps and bumps, which the Atom couldn’t cope with as well.

RSbandit

947 posts

82 months

Thursday 2nd January
quotequote all
123RY said:
Ahh done that road once or twice for getting to matching green. It is great, but as you said if behind someone it's tricky to get past. Essex is getting increasingly busier too. North of Dunmow towards steeple Bumpstead is great. I usually go further north into Suffolk where it's significantly quieter and you can enjoy roads to yourself sometimes!

Meeting at Chipping and then setting off would work well. Then parting after breakfast/lunch at Finchingfield.

Any dates spring to mind?
Hi 123 ...can you enable email on your profile settings or conversely just drop an email to me with your contact details cheers!