Keeping a 570S or 600LT outside, no garage

Keeping a 570S or 600LT outside, no garage

Author
Discussion

Gunso

978 posts

199 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
I’ve kept a 570 and/or a 720 outside on the drive since October. Never charged it but never left longer than 10 days.

No issues here.

I must admit I have also wondered about the exhausts on the 600LT.

12pack

973 posts

117 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
PompeyReece said:
There is a rather lengthy thread and video which mentions leaving McLarens outside for long periods of time isn't a good idea - specifically it mentions a component (can't remember which) that appears to fail/is prone to early failure when the car is left outside.

If you want to use up a couple of hours of your life, here's the thread:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...
This was the knock sensor and it was about leaving the car unused outside for months - not days.

If you do use it weekly (even if just to idle it) I would think it would be OK. On a new car/battery that would likely mean the battery would drop to 20-30 days charge left worst case - and should still be enough to get the car gong without issues.

PompeyReece

706 posts

38 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
12pack said:
This was the knock sensor and it was about leaving the car unused outside for months - not days.

If you do use it weekly (even if just to idle it) I would think it would be OK. On a new car/battery that would likely mean the battery would drop to 20-30 days charge left worst case - and should still be enough to get the car gong without issues.
Cheers, thanks for the clarification.

39sl

132 posts

73 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
I've had my 570GT since July last year and it's always been parked on the drive and never plugged into the charger...starts every time.

It's been left alone for a couple of weeks at times and has shown the battery down to 35 days left but it starts and charges quickly with a drive...as someone else said, don't let it sit for 30 minutes ticking over, go and drive the bloody thing for 30 minutes and you'll be gone for hours !!

So in summary, go and buy one...you will love it smile

39sl

132 posts

73 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Gunso said:
I’ve kept a 570 and/or a 720 outside on the drive since October. Never charged it but never left longer than 10 days.

No issues here.

I must admit I have also wondered about the exhausts on the 600LT.
The exhaust has holes for water to drain through

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121633_learn-...

dank

Original Poster:

1,036 posts

201 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Thanks for all the help, looks like i am back in the game for a 570s or 600lt ! biggrin


MDL111

4,067 posts

126 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
I left a 355 outside in London most days - was ok, I had one of those battery packs to start car for when it went flat (was about 150 quid from memory - that was 10 years ago though)

monthefish

19,430 posts

180 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
I mean.....

A brand new car outside, getting mould and all sort of st, even assuming you live outside other people sight and potential vandalism and all sort of crimes?

Really?

Your choice.
rolleyes

OP - before you buy, just check that it has the 'outside use' option. biggrin

FWIW - I had a supercar which I kept outside for 1.5 years - no issues, no vandalism or anything like that. Yes, ideally it would have been kept in a garage (which I have now) but my lack of garage at the time didn't prevent me buying my car.


Flashardos

57 posts

8 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
monthefish said:
rolleyes

OP - before you buy, just check that it has the 'outside use' option. biggrin

FWIW - I had a supercar which I kept outside for 1.5 years - no issues, no vandalism or anything like that. Yes, ideally it would have been kept in a garage (which I have now) but my lack of garage at the time didn't prevent me buying my car.
I have had to reject an insurance quote due to them requiring it to be garaged overnight. I have a garage, but couldn't guarantee that the car would always be in it due to other things going on! Am sorted now though.

GusB

244 posts

108 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
I get charged £80 more for keeping my 599 in a garage then on the street as there is apparently more danger of things damaging the car... madness of insurance companies... as said before, as long as the optional street parking pack has been ticked you will be fine... GusB

R8Steve

4,070 posts

124 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
No issues with leaving them outside, if they can survive the Scottish weather I’m sure you’ll be ok

dank

Original Poster:

1,036 posts

201 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
Thanks for this! Cannot wait to get one now!!! biggrin


akadk

790 posts

128 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
Pcp details ?

ferdi p

1,287 posts

121 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
GusB said:
I get charged £80 more for keeping my 599 in a garage then on the street as there is apparently more danger of things damaging the car... madness of insurance companies... as said before, as long as the optional street parking pack has been ticked you will be fine... GusB
Exactly the same for me! What a joke!

Sarnie

6,281 posts

158 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
ferdi p said:
Exactly the same for me! What a joke!
Me too.......something about if the roof collapses on the car or things getting dropped onto it or it getting damaged getting bikes and lawn mowers in and out etc etc...........

justin220

4,296 posts

153 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
ferdi p said:
Exactly the same for me! What a joke!
Me too.......something about if the roof collapses on the car or things getting dropped onto it or it getting damaged getting bikes and lawn mowers in and out etc etc...........
And me. I was told it was due to if someone was stealing the car, they are more likely to be seen on the drive doing it. So they have more time hidden in the garage

davek_964

6,305 posts

124 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Hmm. I've been thinking I should keep my 360 outside so that I use it more. If the insurance goes down, I definitely will!

ferdi p

1,287 posts

121 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Hmm. I've been thinking I should keep my 360 outside so that I use it more. If the insurance goes down, I definitely will!
I keep my old 911 in the garage & the 720 outside, for some reason I still take the 911 out more often!!

dank

Original Poster:

1,036 posts

201 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
Just been doing some man maths on 570S

so essentially PCP means you are 'hiring' the car for say 2 years - cost of hiring excluding fuel, tyres insurance etc is around £45k - so £22.5k per year

Then hand car back




Or, i could buy a used Gallardo for £70-80k - keep for two years - sell for say £50 in 2 years and only loose £20k?

Then again are running costs going to be £10-20k for 2 years??? I am used to running a 911 turbo, so know services etc can all add up, easy to get a £2-3k bill, but not used to 5-10k bills and that scares me!!

davek_964

6,305 posts

124 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
dank said:
Or, i could buy a used Gallardo for £70-80k - keep for two years - sell for say £50 in 2 years and only loose £20k?
Or you could buy a Ford Focus for £5k and in 2 years sell it for £3k.

No offence to Gallardo owners, but I don't think you're comparing like with like - and you're essentially comparing new car costs to used car costs. New car is always going to be more due to depreciation, even if it's built into PCP.