720S Rejection

720S Rejection

Author
Discussion

Targarama

14,343 posts

246 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
BadBull said:
Another McLaren tale of woe.
He crashed it (non fault), it took time to repair, it now has a coolant leak. I count one fault which will be simple to fix. This fault may have been aggravated by the accident even if minor since the engine is at the rear/who knows what state the car was kept in for months at the repair shop. Not a case for rejecting IMO. Unlucky to be without the car for so long, I'd try for some free servicing or similar favour from McLaren as a token gesture for the delays.

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

11,341 posts

58 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Targarama said:
Unlucky to be without the car for so long
Should the amount of time a repair shop takes to fix a car come down to 'luck'?

7 months is obscene, presuming the delay wasn't caused by administrative issues.

davek_964

7,280 posts

138 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Targarama said:
Unlucky to be without the car for so long
Should the amount of time a repair shop takes to fix a car come down to 'luck'?

7 months is obscene, presuming the delay wasn't caused by administrative issues.
Except it's not 7 months really is it? Lockdown occurred in the middle which must account for a good 4 months. And surely a month to fix a rear end impact on a high end supercar isn't unreasonable?

So really, it probably should have taken at least 5 months to fix including the lockdown and it took 7.

UpTheIron

3,857 posts

231 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
IMHO the time taken isn't hugely excessive given the situation the world is in. A month or two quicker would have been better but I don't see that it is wholly unreasonable or inexcusable.

The coolant leak is unfortunate but as written this is the only other fault you have experienced on low volume car. Given the cost perhaps this shouldn't be an issue. It may be related to the accident, it may not. If I was the dealer I would be falling over myself to offer some goodwill.

A couple of thoughts:

- I'm no car finance expert but what sort of contract is it - are you able to quantify your loss; i.e. if a PCP type affair have you lost out on 7 months usage during 3 years at which point you will hand it back? If so what was the cost of the 7 months (or just the interest?).

- did you have an equivalent or better loan vehicle?


RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

11,341 posts

58 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Except it's not 7 months really is it? Lockdown occurred in the middle which must account for a good 4 months. And surely a month to fix a rear end impact on a high end supercar isn't unreasonable?

So really, it probably should have taken at least 5 months to fix including the lockdown and it took 7.
Here's a question- for how long were car repair shops forbidden from operating?

Evolved

2,623 posts

150 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Assume you’ve had a comparable courtesy car for the duration of the repairs?

davek_964

7,280 posts

138 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Here's a question- for how long were car repair shops forbidden from operating?
Firstly, 'forbidden' doesn't necessarily make a difference. If suppliers are closed, it didn't matter if you're allowed to open or not.

As it happens, my car was stuck in a 'repair' centre during lockdown and they were closed for almost 4 months. Hence why I quoted that period because I had actual experience of it.

But hey - this place is all about McLaren bashing these days. Why should we let a global pandemic be attributable for significant delays? I'm sure Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc were completely unaffected......

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

11,341 posts

58 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Firstly, 'forbidden' doesn't necessarily make a difference. If suppliers are closed, it didn't matter if you're allowed to open or not.

As it happens, my car was stuck in a 'repair' centre during lockdown and they were closed for almost 4 months. Hence why I quoted that period because I had actual experience of it.

But hey - this place is all about McLaren bashing these days. Why should we let a global pandemic be attributable for significant delays? I'm sure Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc were completely unaffected......
It's not moaning because it's McLaren, it's moaning because it's bad service.

Can/should the OP reject the car because it took too long to repair and has developed another (potentially unrelated) fault? No. Does he have a justifiable gripe at crap customer service? Sounds like it.

650spider

1,471 posts

134 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
davek_964 said:
Firstly, 'forbidden' doesn't necessarily make a difference. If suppliers are closed, it didn't matter if you're allowed to open or not.

As it happens, my car was stuck in a 'repair' centre during lockdown and they were closed for almost 4 months. Hence why I quoted that period because I had actual experience of it.

But hey - this place is all about McLaren bashing these days. Why should we let a global pandemic be attributable for significant delays? I'm sure Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc were completely unaffected......
It's not moaning because it's McLaren, it's moaning because it's bad service.

Can/should the OP reject the car because it took too long to repair and has developed another (potentially unrelated) fault? No. Does he have a justifiable gripe at crap customer service? Sounds like it.
Its not bad service, it is the way things currently are.

If i order simple items such as windows that pre covid had a 10 day turnaround, i am now doing well to get them within 9-10 weeks.

The factories were shut for at least 4 + months, and even now they are open, most are at less than 1/3 capacity and the supply chain prior to them is in the exact same situation.

Demand is so far beyond supply it makes you wonder what it must of been like after WW2.

It still surprises me some of my clients cannot grasp the current, and near/long term situation.

The OP has been very unfortunate, but if someone bent their F12 TDF at the same time, they would most likely be in the exact same situation.

The coolant leak is 'one of those things' that can randomly happen; a bit sucky, but that's motoring.

But, by all accounts, let's make it a McLaren specific issue as they really are a bad bunch.


RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

11,341 posts

58 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
The car was pranged in December. Were the 3 months in between then and Covid insufficient to determine and secure the correct parts?

PompeyReece

1,072 posts

52 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
  • sigh* more McLaren baiting. Ignore and they'll eventually go away......

anonymous-user

17 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
The car was pranged in December. Were the 3 months in between then and Covid insufficient to determine and secure the correct parts?
I think date specific facts should be disclosed. What date was it pranged, how long did the assessment take, what date did the insurance company approve repair etc. I had a prang in the RR two years ago. Took three weeks for the repair to be approved and four weeks for the repair. Nearly two months from start to finish.

I ordered two P1 seats in Feb. Due to the Pandemic they were significantly delayed - they were fitted two weeks ago - totally understandable.

Nano2nd

3,345 posts

219 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
rmaGL said:
For those asking, it was a non fault accident, some one rear ended me whilst i was stationary at a red light. Not a huge amount of visible damage but did require replacing crash cans (which were the wrongly supplied parts)

I bet when said 3rd party looked up from their whatsapp, they got a shock they'd rear ended a 200k motor!

petjam

337 posts

109 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
This explains what your rights are under the Consumer rights act..

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
Whoever wrote that most certainly is connected to the car industry. Loads of it is complete rubbish, this opening line.

"However, it’s important to remember that motor cars are complicated machines. They have hundreds of thousands of components working under a variety of hostile conditions. Not every fault in a vehicle is going to mean you can simply give the car back and expect a full refund."

What a load of rubbish! Cars are no different to any other item covered by the Act. If it is not satisfactory quality you can reject.



Edited by petjam on Thursday 3rd September 12:34

fridaypassion

5,411 posts

191 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
A car having a coolant leak doesn't make it unfit for purpose. The thing with waiting parts I would say 4 to 6 months probably not unusual for a specialist car repair. If you weren't waiting parts it would be for bodyshop availability. It is amazing that they haven't sorted the stupid clips on these cars though. Pretty obvious what caused the coolant leak!

Ferruccio

1,447 posts

82 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
A car having a coolant leak doesn't make it unfit for purpose. The thing with waiting parts I would say 4 to 6 months probably not unusual for a specialist car repair. If you weren't waiting parts it would be for bodyshop availability. It is amazing that they haven't sorted the stupid clips on these cars though. Pretty obvious what caused the coolant leak!
4 to 6 months!?!
My UK Lambo dealer experience is that nearly all parts seem to arrive next day from the factory (unless it’s August). That’s even true of 80s cars.

Edited by Ferruccio on Thursday 3rd September 22:01

rmaGL

Original Poster:

41 posts

96 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Here is the actual timeline

13 December accident
16 December car at body shop
9 jan insurance approved
21 jan wrong part delivered
2nd feb wrong part delivered
21st feb wrong part delivered
23 March lockdown
10th May body shop reopened
10th July part supplied correctly
6th Aug car back to me

In this period mclaren/dealer/body shop haven’t supplied a courtesy car had to get one via third party insurer.

Had to escalate mid June to Higher ups in McLaren in order to get the correct part Delivered.

This isn’t a McLaren bashing post, as stated I love the 720s. But the way the above chain of events has happened is shocking for a 10k car let alone a car costing 225.

Through this period there has been no proactive contact from McLaren, they supplied a loan 570 after I escalated towards the beginning of July.

The coolant hose as an isolated incident is ofcourse not a reason to kick off, but combined with all the above, I don’t believe this is remotely acceptable.

Petrus1983

4,468 posts

125 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
rmaGL said:
In this period mclaren/dealer/body shop haven’t supplied a courtesy car had to get one via third party insurer.
Are you suggesting the 720S is your daily car and you needed a supercar being replaced during a time when no one was meant to travel for anything other than essential journeys?

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

11,341 posts

58 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
rmaGL said:
In this period mclaren/dealer/body shop haven’t supplied a courtesy car had to get one via third party insurer.
Are you suggesting the 720S is your daily car and you needed a supercar being replaced during a time when no one was meant to travel for anything other than essential journeys?
From a legal perspective my understanding is the costs of a hire car would only be recoverable in the event the hire car was necessary. The claimant would have to justify not only the necessity, but also the cost, in terms of how expensive a car do you really need?

This means someone might end up paying finance for a McLaren 720S for 6 months whilst having the use of a Kia Picanto (I'm perhaps exaggerating how low down the scale you might go...).

If I paid McLaren money for a Kia for months on end, mainly because McLaren couldn't identify the correct parts for the car they designed and built, I'd think it reasonable they contribute to the finance costs.

anonymous-user

17 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
Are you suggesting the 720S is your daily car and you needed a supercar being replaced during a time when no one was meant to travel for anything other than essential journeys?
I pretty much use mine on a daily basis. Covered 7.5K miles since February this year.