Bought a 720s! My 1st "supercar" Wish me luck!!

Bought a 720s! My 1st "supercar" Wish me luck!!

Author
Discussion

akadk

828 posts

137 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
Or....how about, I dunno , just fit a front plate like 25m other vehicles in the U.K.??

PushedDover

2,057 posts

11 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
akadk said:
Or....how about, I dunno , just fit a front plate like 25m other vehicles in the U.K.??
Controversial.

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
akadk said:
Or....how about, I dunno , just fit a front plate like 25m other vehicles in the U.K.??


Did someone say something? rolleyes

WilliamWaiver

403 posts

3 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
Dont get this not displaying a front number plate and thinking you are above the law because you own a supercar. Personally I would increase the fine to impounding the car and then lets see who thinks its funny

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
WilliamWaiver said:
Dont get this not displaying a front number plate and thinking you are above the law because you own a supercar. Personally I would increase the fine to impounding the car and then lets see who thinks its funny
So this is about not breaking the law? Because you're not above it if you own a supercar? Ever gone above the speed limit in your 675LT?

AB

15,899 posts

153 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
I read the opening post and really felt the passion and excitement. The first video you could really sense it, you couldn’t stand still :-)

WilliamWaiver

403 posts

3 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
AstonExige said:
So this is about not breaking the law? Because you're not above it if you own a supercar? Ever gone above the speed limit in your 675LT?
Categorically NO but I haven't collected it yet but I've hardly gone above 100 mph in any of the others and I certainly dont break the law everytime I got out in one of them
FLAGRANT disregard for the law IMHO and why should it be supercar owners and not your audi A3 ????

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
WilliamWaiver said:
Categorically NO but I haven't collected it yet but I've hardly gone above 100 mph in any of the others and I certainly dont break the law everytime I got out in one of them
FLAGRANT disregard for the law IMHO and why should it be supercar owners and not your audi A3 ????
"Hardly gone above 100mph?!" So what made you think you are above the law and can break the law by such a significant amount? You would lose your license for that?! Now that sounds like a FLAGRANT disregard for the law to me. But on top of that, speeding, that's dangerous, you're not just risking your own life but deciding it is ok to risk the life of others. This is much more serious than say.......... I don't know, not displaying a front number plate? That has no negative impact on anybody, is not dangerous, doesn't threaten anyone's life.

And what is the relevance around Supercar vs Audi A3, who says this is anything to do with Supercar owners thinking they don't have to have front plates? It's the same for any car, who is differentiating?



650spider

1,238 posts

129 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
I have to say i have never understood this 'it ruins the lines' lark regards to front numberplate removal.

If your driving the car, you generally don't 'see' the lines at the front of the car.

Changes the smiles and compliments of 'wow, amazing car' to a puzzled face and ''why don't you have a front number plate?' to which you then try and offer the above sketchy answer.

Just my less than 2 cents worth.

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
Anyway, to try to get this back on track and prevent this going into the gutter like a lot of threads do on here…..

I love just about everything about this car. In the past every car I’ve bought I’ve always wanted to make various “improvements” But this is just about perfect……except for one thing, the noise, or lack of. Actually that’s not fair, it isn’t quiet, in the cabin it is really, but from the outside its not bad. I quite like the sound it makes, it’s no NA V10 but it’s still quite pleasing to the ears smile

As per previous post, I’d been down to SB Race Engineering who advised the difference between the 720s Sport exhaust (what I have) and a straight piped cat-back, is minimal and not worth the cost / hassle. Got to think fitting, potential warranty complications, insurance? At this point my car has “no modifications” so a bit easier when it comes to insurance.

Thorney offer what looks like a decent cat back, their price is competitive and includes fitting, so relatively speaking, good value. And of course, these guys know their stuff so no worries in regards to them taking the whole back of the car apart (search videos on Youtube, it’s brutal the amount of dismantling required to fit a cat back on a 720!)

I had a quick chat over FB with John and he kindly offered to let me head over and listen to their 720s Spider that has their cat back fitted. So on Monday I headed over. Great setup they have there, if you haven’t been, its worth a trip. The mount of Mclarens there makes you really appreciate just how “specialist” these guys are! Very impressive. John’s 720s Spider is very nice, very unusual gold type colour, and loads of carbon, very high spec.

John started it up inside, it did sound really good, but I wanted to hear it outside, so John took it out. Again, sounded great. However, it occurred to me I hadn’t really heard mine from the outside, nothing other than at idle / cold start. So we put both cars side by side and whilst I stood out back, John gave them some gentle revs. (kicking myself for not getting videos or pictures!) shout

So you could definitely tell the difference and the Thorney cat back was a little louder. It wasn’t night and day. I suspect under load and as the revs increase, the difference would increase, particularly on overrun.

To summarise, it is something I would like to do, but the difference wasn’t enough for me to be desperate enough to do it right away (when I have other priorities I should focus on) So it’s on the to-do list for next year maybe. The other option is to wait until my McWarranty has expired, then change to sports cats too, that apparently offers the most benefit, in terms of noise but also additional power (not that you need it!)

And need to post a picture, posts are boring without pictures….and I have plenty, can’t stop taking pictures of it smile


WilliamWaiver

403 posts

3 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
AstonExige said:
Anyway, to try to get this back on track and prevent this going into the gutter like a lot of threads do on here…..

I love just about everything about this car. In the past every car I’ve bought I’ve always wanted to make various “improvements” But this is just about perfect……except for one thing, the noise, or lack of. Actually that’s not fair, it isn’t quiet, in the cabin it is really, but from the outside its not bad. I quite like the sound it makes, it’s no NA V10 but it’s still quite pleasing to the ears smile

As per previous post, I’d been down to SB Race Engineering who advised the difference between the 720s Sport exhaust (what I have) and a straight piped cat-back, is minimal and not worth the cost / hassle. Got to think fitting, potential warranty complications, insurance? At this point my car has “no modifications” so a bit easier when it comes to insurance.

Thorney offer what looks like a decent cat back, their price is competitive and includes fitting, so relatively speaking, good value. And of course, these guys know their stuff so no worries in regards to them taking the whole back of the car apart (search videos on Youtube, it’s brutal the amount of dismantling required to fit a cat back on a 720!)

I had a quick chat over FB with John and he kindly offered to let me head over and listen to their 720s Spider that has their cat back fitted. So on Monday I headed over. Great setup they have there, if you haven’t been, its worth a trip. The mount of Mclarens there makes you really appreciate just how “specialist” these guys are! Very impressive. John’s 720s Spider is very nice, very unusual gold type colour, and loads of carbon, very high spec.

John started it up inside, it did sound really good, but I wanted to hear it outside, so John took it out. Again, sounded great. However, it occurred to me I hadn’t really heard mine from the outside, nothing other than at idle / cold start. So we put both cars side by side and whilst I stood out back, John gave them some gentle revs. (kicking myself for not getting videos or pictures!) shout

So you could definitely tell the difference and the Thorney cat back was a little louder. It wasn’t night and day. I suspect under load and as the revs increase, the difference would increase, particularly on overrun.

To summarise, it is something I would like to do, but the difference wasn’t enough for me to be desperate enough to do it right away (when I have other priorities I should focus on) So it’s on the to-do list for next year maybe. The other option is to wait until my McWarranty has expired, then change to sports cats too, that apparently offers the most benefit, in terms of noise but also additional power (not that you need it!)

And need to post a picture, posts are boring without pictures….and I have plenty, can’t stop taking pictures of it smile

Yeah when I was there a couple of weeks ago I went out with John in the 720S spider and it sounded lovely but he did say he was desperate to get sports cats fitted to it.
Did you go out or listen to his 620GTR coupe, thats got both sports cats and cat back exhaust. It sounded awesome but John says its harder to get a decent sound out of the sport series car, bar 600LT, because of the long up and over and low exhaust pipe exit.

720S with sports cats is the way to go when your warranty is up and just renew it cheaper with Thorney anyway if you are concerned

crimbo

1,283 posts

186 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
You could always get one of those different shaped plates, some look better. If you want to run without get a spare in your car and scuff it a bit on the road, scratch it etc

It keeps coming off and is dangerous, may damage my car, I'm not screwing it into my bumper.

Just be honest.

The problem is if you have a history of been pulled over, until then I wouldn't worry.

R8Reece

972 posts

47 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
AstonExige said:
Anyway, to try to get this back on track and prevent this going into the gutter like a lot of threads do on here…..

I love just about everything about this car. In the past every car I’ve bought I’ve always wanted to make various “improvements” But this is just about perfect……except for one thing, the noise, or lack of. Actually that’s not fair, it isn’t quiet, in the cabin it is really, but from the outside its not bad. I quite like the sound it makes, it’s no NA V10 but it’s still quite pleasing to the ears smile
Isn't there an MSO exhaust option? Would that be any louder?

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
WilliamWaiver said:
Yeah when I was there a couple of weeks ago I went out with John in the 720S spider and it sounded lovely but he did say he was desperate to get sports cats fitted to it.
Did you go out or listen to his 620GTR coupe, thats got both sports cats and cat back exhaust. It sounded awesome but John says its harder to get a decent sound out of the sport series car, bar 600LT, because of the long up and over and low exhaust pipe exit.

720S with sports cats is the way to go when your warranty is up and just renew it cheaper with Thorney anyway if you are concerned
No didn’t get a chance to listen to any of the Sports series car he has. As you suggest, I’ll probably just wait it out until my existing warranty expires, get a Thorney one and then get his sport cat set-up.


R8Reece said:
Isn't there an MSO exhaust option? Would that be any louder?
No there isn’t, not at this point anyway. On the 570, you had standard, sports and then the MSO titanium option (quite rare) But for the 720 just standard and Sports. The 765LT sounds louder, from the clips I’ve seen, maybe something interchangeable there?

davek_964

6,966 posts

133 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
As you say, outside the cars tend to be quite a bit louder than inside. When my car has been brought back by the current service place I use, I can hear it from a long way away!

It is one advantage of the Spiders as already mentioned - rear window down does make a huge difference to the sound.

threespires

3,620 posts

169 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
AstonExige said:
akadk said:
Or....how about, I dunno , just fit a front plate like 25m other vehicles in the U.K.??


Did someone say something? rolleyes
I was willing to gloss over your chavvy lack of front plate till you posted this insult.

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
As you say, outside the cars tend to be quite a bit louder than inside. When my car has been brought back by the current service place I use, I can hear it from a long way away!

It is one advantage of the Spiders as already mentioned - rear window down does make a huge difference to the sound.
Yes I enjoyed that on my R8 Spider. So much better than having the window down as you don’t have the buffeting.

silver-bullet

71 posts

165 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
What a great first post. Ignore the naysayers and enjoy the car!

PushedDover

2,057 posts

11 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
threespires said:
AstonExige said:
akadk said:
Or....how about, I dunno , just fit a front plate like 25m other vehicles in the U.K.??


Did someone say something? rolleyes
I was willing to gloss over your chavvy lack of front plate till you posted this insult.
It does create an odd taste to the mouth of an otherwise enthusiastic and enjoyable thread - for me.

AstonExige

Original Poster:

533 posts

65 months

Wednesday 7th October
quotequote all
Ok, I apologise, I reacted to what come across as a sarcastic and unnecessarily negative comment. I've been enjoying writing these posts and didn't expect that. I just need to get thicker skin I suppose.