570s Spider 1st Service

570s Spider 1st Service

Author
Discussion

davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Although there is clearly a markup, it's not really in the realms that's being mentioned here.

I just checked my invoice from last year's service and Ascot charged me roughly £150 Inc vat for 8 litres of Mobil 1

Smoothound

78 posts

5 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Although there is clearly a markup, it's not really in the realms that's being mentioned here.

I just checked my invoice from last year's service and Ascot charged me roughly £150 Inc vat for 8 litres of Mobil 1
Fair call Dave it's not that bad considering I just looked on Euro Car Parts and they want £89 for 5 litres! Mind you Halfords are £58 before trade discount so not sure what's going on there?

McL570s

Original Poster:

12 posts

11 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Smoothound said:
Fair call Dave it's not that bad considering I just looked on Euro Car Parts and they want £89 for 5 litres! Mind you Halfords are £58 before trade discount so not sure what's going on there?
Ive just ordered from opie oils mobil 1 6 litres for £53

Smoothound

78 posts

5 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
McL570s said:
Ive just ordered from opie oils mobil 1 6 litres for £53
Think you need c. 8 litres for an oil change?

Just looked on there and £103-50 inc delivery for a 9 litre service pack or £106 from Halfords for 10 litres which with trade discount is £92-80

Edit! Looked again and two 5 litres are same price as Halfords with trade discount!!

Edited by Smoothound on Thursday 22 October 20:02

Kent Border Kenny

1,601 posts

19 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Do dealers ever have any issue with people supplying their own oil?

I’d imagine that the profit that they make on the oil forms part of the calculation of how much they need to charge for a service, is there any rolling of eyes or shaking of heads when you turn up with eight litres of your own supply?

650spider

1,290 posts

130 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Seems a lot of hassle to save £40.00 on servicing your supercar...

Wiper blade is easy to save on as you just say no thanks, although McLaren Glasgow never asked or fitted a blade during any of the services, and i never asked as it worked perfectly.

Am43

130 posts

42 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
650spider said:
Seems a lot of hassle to save £40.00 on servicing your supercar...

Wiper blade is easy to save on as you just say no thanks, although McLaren Glasgow never asked or fitted a blade during any of the services, and i never asked as it worked perfectly.
I had my blades changed at Glasgow £75 for the pair. I would need to check the invoice for my third service but I think it was around £900, it had a warranty renewal aswell so only remember the total cost, at that point I was in too deep to worry about questioning if my wipers really needed replacing.

When I had my m3 quite a few people would supply their own oil for the services , the invoice would always state oil service carried out but oil not supplied by us or words to those effect. Some people are very fussy on service histories when selling a car.


Edited by Am43 on Thursday 22 October 23:23

davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
I noticed when I checked my invoice last night that it did include a wiper blade at about £35.

The service last year cost me roughly £1k. Even if that included a 100% mark up on oil and a wiper blade I didn't need, it really didn't seem bad to me for a car like this.

Bispal

856 posts

110 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
Bell & Covill were the best value when I looked around and great service too with turn around same day. They have some sort of offer on.







davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
Bispal said:
Bell & Covill were the best value when I looked around and great service too with turn around same day. They have some sort of offer on.
That's where I was planning to take mine - although I want a couple of things looked at so think mine will be there for more than a day.

RBT0

1,348 posts

78 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I noticed when I checked my invoice last night that it did include a wiper blade at about £35.

The service last year cost me roughly £1k. Even if that included a 100% mark up on oil and a wiper blade I didn't need, it really didn't seem bad to me for a car like this.
That's the danger: people think because it's a McLaren / Ferrari / Lambo, a normal oil change service would cost in proportion of their RRP. That's not true, so watch out for your bill and be ready to scrutinise it unless you want to burn money.

davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
davek_964 said:
I noticed when I checked my invoice last night that it did include a wiper blade at about £35.

The service last year cost me roughly £1k. Even if that included a 100% mark up on oil and a wiper blade I didn't need, it really didn't seem bad to me for a car like this.
That's the danger: people think because it's a McLaren / Ferrari / Lambo, a normal oil change service would cost in proportion of their RRP. That's not true, so watch out for your bill and be ready to scrutinise it unless you want to burn money.
I didn't think anything of the sort. I expected it to be ~£1k, based on other cars I've owned and that's what it was. I may or may not have needed a wiper, but I've got better things to do than scrutinise a bill that's what I expected (in fact, it was less than I was quoted), and tell them to remove a wiper to save myself £35.

If there are significant deviations from what I believe should be done / charged for, I would certainly be questioning it. But I'm not about to be providing my own oil, or tell them that I'd like to save £35 on a wiper blade.

RBT0

1,348 posts

78 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
I am no bothered to provide my own oil neither, but I’ve paid £800 and I know other owners that have paid the same, It could be down to labour cost or other hidden costs.


davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
I am no bothered to provide my own oil neither, but I’ve paid £800 and I know other owners that have paid the same, It could be down to labour cost or other hidden costs.
Different services on different cars cost different amounts.

My £1k service was a 5 year old service on a 650. If you paid £800 for a 5 year old service on a 650, then congratulations - but if you paid £800 for a different service or for a different McLaren then you're not really comparing apples with apples.

The service centres are essentially franchises, so costs do vary - as already stated in this thread. I used Ascot last year - it's far more likely I'll use B&C this year and I imagine the costs will be different between the two. They were vastly different when I got quotes for other work.

Smoothound

78 posts

5 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
I am no bothered to provide my own oil neither, but I’ve paid £800 and I know other owners that have paid the same, It could be down to labour cost or other hidden costs.
Neither am I to be honest but with earlier post mentioning £400 for £100 of oil for a service it made a bit of sense looking into it but appears to be unfounded. I was expecting £5-800 for my service so a quote of £635 is fine plus my MOC discount! Out on the street there seems to be a wide band of cost for 5 litres of Mobil 1 too eek

davek_964

7,011 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
I used to have a 911 turbo which liked it's oil - Costco was a good source then.

RBT0

1,348 posts

78 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
Guys we're talking about 1st service here.

On mine inc. oil change and oil filter was £800.

David W.

1,613 posts

168 months

Saturday 24th October
quotequote all
I’m sure I’ve seen a Mobil1 bulk tank at the back of a dealers workshop. They won’t be paying anything like 5lt can price for it.