Warranty advice please

Warranty advice please

Author
Discussion

davek_964

7,700 posts

144 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
CABC said:
in some situations the warranty would be considered profitable if covering at cost prices for parts and labour, not the considerably higher prices for retail. so a manufacturer could be seen to "stand by their product" for just £2800. That 2800 could represent over 5k at retail prices.

Are McLaren and dealers efficient with warranty claims? is it drop the car off and all done, no admin or claim procedures?
For me, any faff would be a hassle i could do without.
There is no hassle.
Things get fixed, warranty pays directly

Streetbeat

118 posts

45 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
It doesn't matter if its one car or one hundred as a whole....they think there is profit in it for them at £2,800. Of course, there are cars that will have claims way over that amount......but when you've owned your car for nearly 4 years, you know it inside out, it's never had a dash light come on, I'm not going to pay nearly £3k a year because it might suddenly disintegrate in my garage when I know it's history and that it's a good car.......the more people that did this the more confidence buyers would have in buying used McLarens rather than every one thinking that it's a must have....

WhenIi had my 12c, I paid £5,600 for a service and warranty............thats a ridiculous amount, which I regretted once I realised that I'd allowed myself to be swayed by internet horror stories......never again for me but if it helps people sleep, then more power to them smile
I think most buyers 2nd hand would expect a warranty, i know you are a trustworthy dude through old contacts, but buying into the unkown will be the fear for most in the private sales market and there are a lot of people out there without your intergrity.


650spider

1,476 posts

140 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Personally, I would not buy a Mac without the McLaren warranty, and from experience, I would say selling a McLaren without a warranty would be tricky.

If you privately advertise a one without, whomever calls shall have the figure of the inspection and warranty costs as the minimum they shall deduct on the offer they make.

Even at that they shall expect the seller to get the car to a Mac dealer / Thorney for a through inspection, with anything thrown up to be further deducted from the sale price or repaired before sale.

I just couldn't be bothered jumping through these hoops or the possibility of something requiring else attention just to save 3-5k a year on a £100k car.


Smoothound

137 posts

15 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
johnnyreggae said:
Are you prepared to tell us what part is the problem ?
Part of the wiring loom

Sarnie

7,080 posts

178 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
TP321 said:
Yes there is prof in it- but not by covering one car but by covering 100. So if you are going to run without warranty, then just hope it’s not the gearbox in your car which fails. McLaren will most certainly be hoping that. When will people realise that these cars are simply too complex to be taking risks with - and parts are outrageously expensive. Surely if you can afford the car you can afford the warranty
I don't recall saying that I couldn't afford the warranty?


Streetbeat

118 posts

45 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
650spider said:
Personally, I would not buy a Mac without the McLaren warranty, and from experience, I would say selling a McLaren without a warranty would be tricky.

If you privately advertise a one without, whomever calls shall have the figure of the inspection and warranty costs as the minimum they shall deduct on the offer they make.

Even at that they shall expect the seller to get the car to a Mac dealer / Thorney for a through inspection, with anything thrown up to be further deducted from the sale price or repaired before sale.

I just couldn't be bothered jumping through these hoops or the possibility of something requiring else attention just to save 3-5k a year on a £100k car.
Welcome to my buying world, lol.

So i would happily pay for the inspection cost and jump through those hoops if i found the right car for sale privately, of course any offer would be subject to said inspection and i suppose i would be incoprating inspection cost into my offer inc the required warranty, but i would still be paying that cost if the car showed faults that the owner wouldnt get rectified or as you say deducted from the offer.

The problem i see with whats advertised at the moment is there really doesnt seem much difference between dealer prices with warranty and private prices without

GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Everyone is looking for a bargain currently.

I think you need to either compromise on spec or pay a bit extra to get the car you want. From earlier comments in this post you are very specific about colours, so this narrows it down a lot.

I'm also not sure that a car should be massively cheaper privately if it is in McLaren Warranty, unless the condition is not as it would leave a showroom. If the car needs attention whether that be tyres, brakes, any imperfections then I would expect to see it cheaper or negotiate it cheaper.










Streetbeat

118 posts

45 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
GT Two said:
Everyone is looking for a bargain currently.

I think you need to either compromise on spec or pay a bit extra to get the car you want. From earlier comments in this post you are very specific about colours, so this narrows it down a lot.

I'm also not sure that a car should be massively cheaper privately if it is in McLaren Warranty, unless the condition is not as it would leave a showroom. If the car needs attention whether that be tyres, brakes, any imperfections then I would expect to see it cheaper or negotiate it cheaper.


Please dont take this the wrong way, but my budget hasnt been discussed at all, however, im not paying circa 90k, give or take up or down, to end up with a car thats a) not a colour i want b) base spec c) no warranty, i will pay the right money for the right car, i would have definitely been in touch with you, just a bit late to the party deciding to pull pin.

GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Streetbeat said:
Please dont take this the wrong way, but my budget hasnt been discussed at all, however, im not paying circa 90k, give or take up or down, to end up with a car thats a) not a colour i want b) base spec c) no warranty, i will pay the right money for the right car, i would have definitely been in touch with you, just a bit late to the party deciding to pull pin.
I agree with you, a big purchase in anyones eyes.

My point is that with 3 colours in mind, a preferred track pack, Warranty and no doubt lowish mileage, then your options are massively limited.

I think you should be between 90-95k depending on condition, mileage and remaining warranty.

Inspection is absolutely key. I have bought two McLarens myself and had a great experience, but also helped over 5 people into Mclaren ownership. Its not as easy as buying a R8 in my opinion. I think patience will be needed for you to find the right car.

Happy to help you with any advice or tips.

RSbandit

1,554 posts

101 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
I've posted earlier in the thread on this and was already ahead on the warranty...cars been in since mid January investigating an engine issue. I found out on Fri the full list of items that had been carried out...full engine out job 5 figures to fix...all told I'm £22k ahead on my 12 months of warranty...eyewatering numbers tbh. Having said that the issues didn't stop me using the car and I have enjoyed it immensely but I must say I'm disappointed that it's needed so much quite expensive work as I thought the engines were fairly robust given their motorsport origins. My prev cars a V12VS and R8 V10+ spanning 4 yrs of ownership needed nothing more than some consumables and servicing. I'll renew the warranty next week (no-brainer right?!). There's also some bubbling on one of the door panels that's another 9k to replace but covered by the corrosion warranty. I've had no electrical gremlins which were what I thought the most likely issues would be. Maybe I've just been a tad unlucky but thank Christ I warrantied up!

GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
I've posted earlier in the thread on this and was already ahead on the warranty...cars been in since mid January investigating an engine issue. I found out on Fri the full list of items that had been carried out...full engine out job 5 figures to fix...all told I'm £22k ahead on my 12 months of warranty...eyewatering numbers tbh. Having said that the issues didn't stop me using the car and I have enjoyed it immensely but I must say I'm disappointed that it's needed so much quite expensive work as I thought the engines were fairly robust given their motorsport origins. My prev cars a V12VS and R8 V10+ spanning 4 yrs of ownership needed nothing more than some consumables and servicing. I'll renew the warranty next week (no-brainer right?!). There's also some bubbling on one of the door panels that's another 9k to replace but covered by the corrosion warranty. I've had no electrical gremlins which were what I thought the most likely issues would be. Maybe I've just been a tad unlucky but thank Christ I warrantied up!
Sorry to hear of your problems RSB. What car is it? I had a large engine warranty claim on my 12c but the car never left me on the side of the road once. Nothing but smiles for 22k miles.

Get client services involved if you have not already, If you don't have a contact drop me a message.



RSbandit

1,554 posts

101 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
It's a 2016 570s...thanks for the offer of a contact but I would ask why contact client services in this case as its all sorted and covered under warranty ? If the car wasn't warrantied and I was after some goodwill or discount on the repairs I could envisage taking that step alright.

RSbandit

1,554 posts

101 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
And dont get me wrong the car hasn't let me down in 7k miles despite the issues.

Am43

168 posts

52 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Out of interest, what was the engine issue RS ?

GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
It's a 2016 570s...thanks for the offer of a contact but I would ask why contact client services in this case as its all sorted and covered under warranty ? If the car wasn't warrantied and I was after some goodwill or discount on the repairs I could envisage taking that step alright.
If you feel that the repair isn't moving along as quickly as you would like then you should escalate.

My 570 has been great for 11k miles but I wouldnt be without a 'Mclaren' warranty.

RSbandit

1,554 posts

101 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
GT Two said:
If you feel that the repair isn't moving along as quickly as you would like then you should escalate.

My 570 has been great for 11k miles but I wouldnt be without a 'Mclaren' warranty.
Ah OK GT they are having issues with staffing due to Covid and also parts supply due to Brexit hence it took a little longer than usual which is fine not like I could have gone anywhere in the last month anyway. Indeed the best thing about the Mc warranty is how comprehensive it is, it really is bulletproof!

RSbandit

1,554 posts

101 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Am43 said:
Out of interest, what was the engine issue RS ?
basically I noticed a ticking noise whilst the car was on idle and I asked them to investigate it, once they stripped it down they found the problem and a couple of other things that needed doing as a result. I want to sit with the service manager when I get the car back next week just to get a full debrief so will update then.

GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
GT Two said:
If you feel that the repair isn't moving along as quickly as you would like then you should escalate.

My 570 has been great for 11k miles but I wouldnt be without a 'Mclaren' warranty.
Ah OK GT they are having issues with staffing due to Covid and also parts supply due to Brexit hence it took a little longer than usual which is fine not like I could have gone anywhere in the last month anyway. Indeed the best thing about the Mc warranty is how comprehensive it is, it really is bulletproof!
Completely, people don't realise that with Mclaren ownership your not having to spend out on a lot of stuff like other brands.


Yes its a tough time to be waiting for anything to be done, everything is on go slow at the moment. Hope you get sorted soon.

Mine had some small areas of corrosion sorted, all handled very well by Mclaren Guildford. These are hand built cars and nothing is perfect, but driving them is close...

Nattyboy888

Original Poster:

253 posts

126 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Some great feedback there guys appreciate it 👍🏻

Streetbeat

118 posts

45 months

Sunday 21st February
quotequote all
Nattyboy888 said:
Some great feedback there guys appreciate it ????
q

Absolutely agree with that, thanks GT Two for your individual offer of help. Will fire you over an email.