Mclaren Owners Club

Mclaren Owners Club

Author
Discussion

Streetbeat

Original Poster:

88 posts

42 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
Hi guys, trying to figure out whether to join the owners club. The page seems a little light on info, is there a forum, or just link to fb (which i dont have), is it just an events based thing. Can anyone enlighten me a little please.

davek_964

7,538 posts

141 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
The FB group is pretty active. Lots of stuff gets discussed on there - issues with cars, servicing, events, feedback from their meetings with McLaren etc.

I didn't have FB before buying the McLaren. I created an account purely for MOC and find it useful. Being able to discuss things with people who actually own the cars, rather than the vast amount of crap on here from people who never have - is refreshing.

I think it's worth joining.

Having created an account, I use it for a few other groups - Thorney has a technical group, plus a few other car clubs.

I use it much like a browser just to visit those groups and ignore all the other FB crap. I've never looked at my 'wall', don't add friends etc. It's simply a different type of browser for me.

Streetbeat

Original Poster:

88 posts

42 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
The FB group is pretty active. Lots of stuff gets discussed on there - issues with cars, servicing, events, feedback from their meetings with McLaren etc.

I didn't have FB before buying the McLaren. I created an account purely for MOC and find it useful. Being able to discuss things with people who actually own the cars, rather than the vast amount of crap on here from people who never have - is refreshing.

I think it's worth joining.

Having created an account, I use it for a few other groups - Thorney has a technical group, plus a few other car clubs.

I use it much like a browser just to visit those groups and ignore all the other FB crap. I've never looked at my 'wall', don't add friends etc. It's simply a different type of browser for me.
Thanks Dave, so does the official owners club just link to the fb page? Is there any real benefit to the owners club unless you just want the official meets etc?

davek_964

7,538 posts

141 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
Streetbeat said:
Thanks Dave, so does the official owners club just link to the fb page? Is there any real benefit to the owners club unless you just want the official meets etc?
There are local WhatsApp groups which are useful for impromptu runs.
Apart from them, I don't think I've been to any owners club events - and although there are some coming up, they don't appeal to me. So for me, there is definitely value outside of events. It's basically just somewhere to discuss car stuff, but McLaren specific from actual owners.

I don't ever really use the owners club web page.

rickyneil

87 posts

90 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
You’ll struggle to get better value out of £50.

I’ve been a member since I bought my car three years ago and the owners club has added to my enjoyment of ownership. To take this month as an example I driven up to Derbyshire with some owners local to me, we then met several other owners and had an organised drive throughout the Peak District, that was all free (apart from the hotel), one of the other owners is a driving coach and he has given me a days training at Millbrook, I paid for that but the link was through MOC, I’m off to Sywell this weekend for the Supercar Show, that’s all free, next month I’m off on a guided tour to Northumberland, again free. Over the years I’ve been invited to many events, I’ve had a guided tour of the MTC, been there also for the GT launch, been on other guided drives up to Scotland and Wales and had many local drives out via the local WhatsApp group.

The Facebook group also gives an opportunity to speak frankly about your ownership, issues and enjoyment of the cars that is harder to do on an open forum.

My own view is that it’s very good value.

Mr Noble

6,517 posts

199 months

Wednesday 9th June
quotequote all
How do I find these WhatsApp groups for local drives, please?


MOC is well worth joining. A great community. I’ve not attended any meets yet but have “met” a few likeminded owners on the forum.

Sarnie

6,994 posts

175 months

Wednesday 9th June
quotequote all
I'd never pay £50 to join a Facebook group.

I was one of the original members for the first few years but didn't see anything to warrant the payment.

Plenty of McLaren groups on FB already and if events are your thing then there are lots of other groups like Drive Nation, SCUK and SCD etc etc.

slf2012

300 posts

112 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Mr Noble said:
How do I find these WhatsApp groups for local drives, please?


MOC is well worth joining. A great community. I’ve not attended any meets yet but have “met” a few likeminded owners on the forum.
The MOC Admin team should have added you. If not, drop them a message and they'll add you to the correct group.