Mac Sceptic in 600LT Purchase shocker

Mac Sceptic in 600LT Purchase shocker

Author
Discussion

Streetbeat

299 posts

56 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
justin220 said:
Yeah, it's mostly corrosion.. Air Con pipes, Coolant pipes, wiper motor failed, corroded/broken springs. Corrosion on discs.
Do you live somewhere particularly wet? Daily driver in all weathers etc?

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
Justin is in Scotland

Re the dampers I'm pretty sure they can be refurbished. Are the dampers not like most magrides some variant of the original audi magrides?

This company might be worth a shot

https://nagengast.pl/en/about/

There's certainly no way you should need to change a damper just for a spring. Spring swap will be a very very easy DIY job.

tyrrell

1,603 posts

188 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
Thorney Motorsport has had the springs made for all McLaren's now, all the details are on his website.

12pack

1,400 posts

148 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
justin220 said:
The car is just coming up 5 year old. 14k miles

That's correct. Two broken springs means two new full damper assemblies frown

I think pretty much all of it would be non-warranty

I'll update my thread this weekend, to save hijacking this one, sorry OP!
The cracked springs/damper assembly was covered by the warranty on my 650.

justin220

4,802 posts

184 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
It spends most of its life in my garage. But yeah Scotland if that makes a difference. Only averages 3k miles a year, so next to nothing.

Wish I'd known about the spring option 5 days ago

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Friday 5th August
quotequote all
I think like lotus everything comes with a micron of corrosion protection from new

R33FAL

410 posts

148 months

Friday 5th August
quotequote all
Would be curious to hear why its a better fun car than a 911 GT3 RS? Interested as considering a GT3 RS as the next weekend car.

scotty1

475 posts

196 months

Friday 5th August
quotequote all
Totally agree with OP. I bought a 600lt after a 991.1 GT3 and the 600 was quite simply a far superior car imo. You have to bear in mind the 600 is far more money brand new but not used. The GT products imo get so many good reviews and I get why, they are amazing cars but the mclarens for the same money and in most cases better money are far superior.

The main issue between the two are running costs. The GT3 you can warranty for 2 years for a couple of grand. The Macs are more like 3-4k a year and a warranty is a must imo. If you focus on pure driving and value for money you cant beat the Mac.

Amazing car.... enjoy


RSbandit

1,828 posts

112 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Yes the running costs are a factor but pound for pound a 600LT seems like a level or two above a GT3RS. I still find it impossible to understand that people will pay 100k more to have the new GT3...that's alot of warranty and running costs covered right there! McLaren (and Ferrari for that matter) don't seem to be bothered about setting laptimes around the Ring at all where as the Germans manufacturers are pretty obsessed by it and Porsche in particular use it as an important part of the marketing of their brand...this also maybe inflates the value of their GT products.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Saturday
quotequote all
So I'll try and be semi diplomatic as the Porsche boys might send the ninja death squad round but I would urge you NOT to buy a 991 RS or any GT3. They are over priced and over rated IMHO. As for servicing and running costs the hidden costs in the Porsche are in the servicing. The service I had on the 911 was £1600 (previous equivalent service on a 458 was £1000) and it was only a basic service as far as I could tell. Not even plugs going in. Yes the overall costs are less than the 600 but what you have to drive is half of what you get in a 600. The 911 is a sportscar not a supercar even though the ridiculous pricing doesn't reflect it. I have come to the conclusion that Porsches are like Rolex the manufacturers put a decent product out nothing amazing but then they are masters of marketing and hype and that's what you have with a 911 RS its the Rolex Daytona of the automotive world. Oddly enough I'm more of an Omega man. They put ore into the actual watches so your spend is on the watch rather than the marketing and that's reflected in cars for me too.

I wouldn't say Was disappointed with the RS as such it was more that it just didn't reflect a 160k spend which for me is a huge amount of money. I think the RS would make sense at about 120 and the normal GT3s about 80. The GT4 is better on the road but again not a true great really. Its a 50 to 60k car really.

So 600 V 991 RS the Mclaren is a true supercar. Its far, far quicker. You get a carbon tub for gawds sake! The interior is better, It looks better (and I do still love Porsche looks!) This is the one that P guys will find hard to understand but he 600 exhaust sounds better! Bear with me here the 991 sounds awesome outside the car but its way too quiet inside. No pops and bangs or anything its just there. The 600 is loud MEGA bangs on the downshift and sounds great when you get up the revs. The gearbox is also better on the Mac as you get the throttle cut upshifts which is almost completely absent on the 991. Not needed as such but it just adds character.

On the Porsche positive list oddly the steering. Far better even though its electric. The rear steer helps turn in. I think that's really about it. Oh I suppose the other thing with a Porsche is there are more people to come along and buy it when you are done as there's always someone in the pipeline that's been dreaming about owning one and believes the hype. At the price point the 991s are just buy a 600 and save 25k for 5 year running costs. I think the 600 is probably more of a match for the GT2 but even then still has more character. In time I really think the 600 will be highly sought after. If a 675 is a pipe dream the 600 has to be most of one of those and because they made so many of them for now they are crazily underpriced.



Edited by fridaypassion on Saturday 6th August 09:02

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Oh and on Mc Reliability let's just remember that almost all of Porsches cars have engines that blow up and they only did the engine warranty because Porsche club USA forced todo it!

tyrrell

1,603 posts

188 months

Saturday
quotequote all
If you want a little more noise and flames at night you can swap out your euro spec rear tail pipes for USA rest of the world spec tail pipes.

These have no valves in and no back box just the balance pipe between the two pipes, warranty friendly as it’s a genuine McLaren part, cost around £900 with VAT.




fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Tempting!

Wheelspinning

302 posts

10 months

Saturday
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Oh and on Mc Reliability let's just remember that almost all of Porsches cars have engines that blow up and they only did the engine warranty because Porsche club USA forced todo it!
Hey fp.

So not to go off topic on your thread, I started another thread about warranties on LT models.

Hopefully it generates posts indicating how owners have got on with their LT's, and how relevant extending the warranty is based on their ownership experience, which can only be helpful for current and future owners.

I am now self warranting.

Enjoy yours in good health. thumbup

Ferruccio

1,778 posts

99 months

Saturday
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
So I'll try and be semi diplomatic as the Porsche boys might send the ninja death squad round but I would urge you NOT to buy a 991 RS or any GT3. They are over priced and over rated IMHO. As for servicing and running costs the hidden costs in the Porsche are in the servicing. The service I had on the 911 was £1600 (previous equivalent service on a 458 was £1000) and it was only a basic service as far as I could tell. Not even plugs going in. Yes the overall costs are less than the 600 but what you have to drive is half of what you get in a 600. The 911 is a sportscar not a supercar even though the ridiculous pricing doesn't reflect it. I have come to the conclusion that Porsches are like Rolex the manufacturers put a decent product out nothing amazing but then they are masters of marketing and hype and that's what you have with a 911 RS its the Rolex Daytona of the automotive world. Oddly enough I'm more of an Omega man. They put ore into the actual watches so your spend is on the watch rather than the marketing and that's reflected in cars for me too.

I wouldn't say Was disappointed with the RS as such it was more that it just didn't reflect a 160k spend which for me is a huge amount of money. I think the RS would make sense at about 120 and the normal GT3s about 80. The GT4 is better on the road but again not a true great really. Its a 50 to 60k car really.

So 600 V 991 RS the Mclaren is a true supercar. Its far, far quicker. You get a carbon tub for gawds sake! The interior is better, It looks better (and I do still love Porsche looks!) This is the one that P guys will find hard to understand but he 600 exhaust sounds better! Bear with me here the 991 sounds awesome outside the car but its way too quiet inside. No pops and bangs or anything its just there. The 600 is loud MEGA bangs on the downshift and sounds great when you get up the revs. The gearbox is also better on the Mac as you get the throttle cut upshifts which is almost completely absent on the 991. Not needed as such but it just adds character.

On the Porsche positive list oddly the steering. Far better even though its electric. The rear steer helps turn in. I think that's really about it. Oh I suppose the other thing with a Porsche is there are more people to come along and buy it when you are done as there's always someone in the pipeline that's been dreaming about owning one and believes the hype. At the price point the 991s are just buy a 600 and save 25k for 5 year running costs. I think the 600 is probably more of a match for the GT2 but even then still has more character. In time I really think the 600 will be highly sought after. If a 675 is a pipe dream the 600 has to be most of one of those and because they made so many of them for now they are crazily underpriced.

Edited by fridaypassion on Saturday 6th August 09:02
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,407 posts

208 months

Saturday
quotequote all
There aren't enough anti GT3 voices so yeah I think there's a point to the post especially given someone asked for the information.

Streetbeat

299 posts

56 months

Saturday
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
I have come to the conclusion that Porsches are like Rolex
Edited by fridaypassion on Saturday 6th August 09:02
Fair assumption and i think it comes down to 3 simly words, supply and demand.

Ironically there are way more 911 GT & RSs filling the classifieds than 600LT's, any Mclaren to be fair. I guess residuals help too, everyone feels they are a safe bet when it comes to resale and not doing your nut on depreciation.

Wheelspinning

302 posts

10 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
No.

Its a clear comparison from an individual whom has owned both cars as apposed to an individual making a comparison when they have either owned only one, or in the case of so many internet experts, neither.

jm8403

682 posts

5 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
No - I find your post more useless. His post is very insightful. HTH.

Ferruccio

1,778 posts

99 months

Saturday
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
There aren't enough anti GT3 voices so yeah I think there's a point to the post especially given someone asked for the information.
How can you be anti a car?
It’s not religion or politics.
It’s a car.