Mac Sceptic in 600LT Purchase shocker

Mac Sceptic in 600LT Purchase shocker

Author
Discussion

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,575 posts

209 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
Cars are way more important!

samoht

3,803 posts

127 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
You seem to have forgotten the context.

This is fridaypassion's own thread about his ownership of his 600LT.
Someone asked him why he prefers it to a Porsche he had previously.
He gave an in-depth and well-reasoned response.


Sure if someone had posted a new thread in Supercar General or GG saying 'Don't buy a GT3', then your response would be appropriate. But when an actual owner is answering a question based on their own experience - that's precisely the sort of content that makes PH worth reading!

jm8403

959 posts

6 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
samoht said:
Ferruccio said:
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
You seem to have forgotten the context.

This is fridaypassion's own thread about his ownership of his 600LT.
Someone asked him why he prefers it to a Porsche he had previously.
He gave an in-depth and well-reasoned response.


Sure if someone had posted a new thread in Supercar General or GG saying 'Don't buy a GT3', then your response would be appropriate. But when an actual owner is answering a question based on their own experience - that's precisely the sort of content that makes PH worth reading!
+1

Implus1

106 posts

21 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
Interest comments - I am contemplating switching out of my 570S Spider to a 991.2 GT3 manual as I do miss having a manual gearbox which is one thing the GT3 has going for it.

Wheelspinning

357 posts

11 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
Implus1 said:
Interest comments - I am contemplating switching out of my 570S Spider to a 991.2 GT3 manual as I do miss having a manual gearbox which is one thing the GT3 has going for it.
I am the opposite; I couldn't go back to manual ever again.

I have a few things on order from Porsche and they are PDK, and if I was offered a GT3 it would also be PDK.

Think I am just to old and lazy now. getmecoat

RSbandit

1,896 posts

113 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
It was an insightful post from Fridaypassion as I'm personally looking to change next yr from my 570s and a 600LT is top of the list. A 991.1 GT3RS is in the same ballpark price wise so for me it's interesting to hear from someone who had owned both.

Streetbeat

333 posts

57 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
Wheelspinning said:
I am the opposite; I couldn't go back to manual ever again.

I have a few things on order from Porsche and they are PDK, and if I was offered a GT3 it would also be PDK.

Think I am just to old and lazy now. getmecoat
Same here, it was actually a criteria when i was on the hunt, i honestly believe manuals are a romantic idealogy of the pinnacle of motoring, a lot like naturally aspirated.

I can think of nothing worse than sat in traffic clutching in and out for the few moments its worth savouring going up and down a slick gearbox.

RBT0

1,440 posts

100 months

Saturday 6th August
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
So I'll try and be semi diplomatic as the Porsche boys might send the ninja death squad round but I would urge you NOT to buy a 991 RS or any GT3. They are over priced and over rated IMHO. As for servicing and running costs the hidden costs in the Porsche are in the servicing. The service I had on the 911 was £1600 (previous equivalent service on a 458 was £1000) and it was only a basic service as far as I could tell. Not even plugs going in. Yes the overall costs are less than the 600 but what you have to drive is half of what you get in a 600. The 911 is a sportscar not a supercar even though the ridiculous pricing doesn't reflect it. I have come to the conclusion that Porsches are like Rolex the manufacturers put a decent product out nothing amazing but then they are masters of marketing and hype and that's what you have with a 911 RS its the Rolex Daytona of the automotive world. Oddly enough I'm more of an Omega man. They put ore into the actual watches so your spend is on the watch rather than the marketing and that's reflected in cars for me too.

I wouldn't say Was disappointed with the RS as such it was more that it just didn't reflect a 160k spend which for me is a huge amount of money. I think the RS would make sense at about 120 and the normal GT3s about 80. The GT4 is better on the road but again not a true great really. Its a 50 to 60k car really.

So 600 V 991 RS the Mclaren is a true supercar. Its far, far quicker. You get a carbon tub for gawds sake! The interior is better, It looks better (and I do still love Porsche looks!) This is the one that P guys will find hard to understand but he 600 exhaust sounds better! Bear with me here the 991 sounds awesome outside the car but its way too quiet inside. No pops and bangs or anything its just there. The 600 is loud MEGA bangs on the downshift and sounds great when you get up the revs. The gearbox is also better on the Mac as you get the throttle cut upshifts which is almost completely absent on the 991. Not needed as such but it just adds character.

On the Porsche positive list oddly the steering. Far better even though its electric. The rear steer helps turn in. I think that's really about it. Oh I suppose the other thing with a Porsche is there are more people to come along and buy it when you are done as there's always someone in the pipeline that's been dreaming about owning one and believes the hype. At the price point the 991s are just buy a 600 and save 25k for 5 year running costs. I think the 600 is probably more of a match for the GT2 but even then still has more character. In time I really think the 600 will be highly sought after. If a 675 is a pipe dream the 600 has to be most of one of those and because they made so many of them for now they are crazily underpriced.



Edited by fridaypassion on Saturday 6th August 09:02
+100

I was a huge Porsche fan (and customer) and I still love Porsche.

BUT.

McLaren LTs are a league above. McLarens are also truly special and exotic compared to Porsches.

I’ve written LT because I found my 981GTS with more character than a plain 570S….plain and comfy sports/supercars are not for me.

BUT….holy moly 600LT is something else.

Talking about gearbox…..Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, ignition cut off and inertia push, sport and track mode. 👌🏻

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,575 posts

209 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Yes the 600 is a completely different car to a 570 its hard to believe they are based on the same car really other than the looks there's just. totally different feel. 570 is still quick though!

Rocketreid

543 posts

53 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Yes the 600 is a completely different car to a 570 its hard to believe they are based on the same car really other than the looks there's just. totally different feel. 570 is still quick though!
Don’t agree with you on this point.

My 600LT felt just like my 570sTP.

They are 90% the same so can not be so different

Imo it’s perception due to the lack of sound deadening, lighter steering rack etc, bit more power, aurally and the exhaust noise.

Thorneys 570 is probably very similar to a 600LT and even more hardcore with its tweeks.

The big difference is to the 720’s / 765 LT

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,575 posts

209 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Rocketreid said:
lack of sound deadening, lighter steering rack etc, bit more power, aurally and the exhaust noise.

The big difference is to the 720’s / 765 LT
Yeah that's the big differences biggrin

I drove 570s a few times on road and track and never quite got that James May "Fizz". The 600 was immediate. To each their own. I did actually start out looking at 570s but the 600 was worth the jump for me however the 570 is extraordinary value for money at 80 to 90k I put offers in on a couple but owners being perhaps a bit deluded over attainable prices.....Theres never going to be a big queue of people when you come to sell a Mac sadly!

Ferruccio

1,792 posts

100 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
samoht said:
Ferruccio said:
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
You seem to have forgotten the context.

This is fridaypassion's own thread about his ownership of his 600LT.
Someone asked him why he prefers it to a Porsche he had previously.
He gave an in-depth and well-reasoned response.


Sure if someone had posted a new thread in Supercar General or GG saying 'Don't buy a GT3', then your response would be appropriate. But when an actual owner is answering a question based on their own experience - that's precisely the sort of content that makes PH worth reading!
It’s a style thing.
Why be rude about other people “believing the hype” ie I’m sooooooooooo clever, they’re idiots.
Just comment on the cars?

jm8403

959 posts

6 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
It’s a style thing.
Why be rude about other people “believing the hype” ie I’m sooooooooooo clever, they’re idiots.
Just comment on the cars?
sensitive, much?

Ferruccio

1,792 posts

100 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
jm8403 said:
Ferruccio said:
It’s a style thing.
Why be rude about other people “believing the hype” ie I’m sooooooooooo clever, they’re idiots.
Just comment on the cars?
sensitive, much?
Nope.
I’ve got no dog in this fight - I’ve never bought a Porsche or a McLaren

Aventador 700

170 posts

2 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
fridaypassion said:
So I'll try and be semi diplomatic as the Porsche boys might send the ninja death squad round but I would urge you NOT to buy a 991 RS or any GT3. They are over priced and over rated IMHO. As for servicing and running costs the hidden costs in the Porsche are in the servicing. The service I had on the 911 was £1600 (previous equivalent service on a 458 was £1000) and it was only a basic service as far as I could tell. Not even plugs going in. Yes the overall costs are less than the 600 but what you have to drive is half of what you get in a 600. The 911 is a sportscar not a supercar even though the ridiculous pricing doesn't reflect it. I have come to the conclusion that Porsches are like Rolex the manufacturers put a decent product out nothing amazing but then they are masters of marketing and hype and that's what you have with a 911 RS its the Rolex Daytona of the automotive world. Oddly enough I'm more of an Omega man. They put ore into the actual watches so your spend is on the watch rather than the marketing and that's reflected in cars for me too.

I wouldn't say Was disappointed with the RS as such it was more that it just didn't reflect a 160k spend which for me is a huge amount of money. I think the RS would make sense at about 120 and the normal GT3s about 80. The GT4 is better on the road but again not a true great really. Its a 50 to 60k car really.

So 600 V 991 RS the Mclaren is a true supercar. Its far, far quicker. You get a carbon tub for gawds sake! The interior is better, It looks better (and I do still love Porsche looks!) This is the one that P guys will find hard to understand but he 600 exhaust sounds better! Bear with me here the 991 sounds awesome outside the car but its way too quiet inside. No pops and bangs or anything its just there. The 600 is loud MEGA bangs on the downshift and sounds great when you get up the revs. The gearbox is also better on the Mac as you get the throttle cut upshifts which is almost completely absent on the 991. Not needed as such but it just adds character.

On the Porsche positive list oddly the steering. Far better even though its electric. The rear steer helps turn in. I think that's really about it. Oh I suppose the other thing with a Porsche is there are more people to come along and buy it when you are done as there's always someone in the pipeline that's been dreaming about owning one and believes the hype. At the price point the 991s are just buy a 600 and save 25k for 5 year running costs. I think the 600 is probably more of a match for the GT2 but even then still has more character. In time I really think the 600 will be highly sought after. If a 675 is a pipe dream the 600 has to be most of one of those and because they made so many of them for now they are crazily underpriced.

Edited by fridaypassion on Saturday 6th August 09:02
Anyone else find these posts pointless?
People who are smart enough to make the money required to buy and run sports cars make choices.
Your humble opinion is different from there’s.
There’s more of them.
End of.
No, i find your posts pointless most of the time though. you seem to always be so negative & argumentative.

Lovely car btw op, i think its a car i’ll add at some point..

Rocketreid

543 posts

53 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Yeah that's the big differences biggrin

I drove 570s a few times on road and track and never quite got that James May "Fizz". The 600 was immediate. To each their own. I did actually start out looking at 570s but the 600 was worth the jump for me however the 570 is extraordinary value for money at 80 to 90k I put offers in on a couple but owners being perhaps a bit deluded over attainable prices.....Theres never going to be a big queue of people when you come to sell a Mac sadly!
Yes certainly on track the LT’s will feel far more connected in comparison to a 570 and 720 and for regular tracking the 600 LT is excellent with its additional power and aero etc

While I track regularly I prefer not to use my Macs much, as while very quick I have more track focussed cars and they are far less expensive to run when pushing hard.

In any event a 600LT for a mixture of track and road use makes sense but for me my 600LT was too compromised on road.

I like plenty of excitement on track but not so much on road where a 570 can do it all.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,575 posts

209 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
I'm pretty hardcore I think in terms of road cars. The 991 RS every single review of that car says its way too stiff for the road but I felt it was ok. The 600 is pretty tame in terms of suspension setup it leans like a good un on track as soon as you push it but I find it very comfortable on the road. I see some people are getting the dampers swapped out the spring rates are probably a bit light for serious track use. I have a dedicated track car so the 600 will ultimately be a road car for me but its always good to do a bit of track and really stretch the old girl's legs a bit. I do think a 570 with some real track focussed mods would also be a very good option.

Taffy66

5,508 posts

83 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
The ride on my RS is perfectly acceptable unless traversing rough potholed urban streets at low speeds, once the roads improve and the roads gets smoother its fine. The ride is also very sensitive to tyre pressures.

Streetbeat

333 posts

57 months

Wednesday 10th August
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Rocketreid said:
lack of sound deadening, lighter steering rack etc, bit more power, aurally and the exhaust noise.

The big difference is to the 720’s / 765 LT
Yeah that's the big differences biggrin

I drove 570s a few times on road and track and never quite got that James May "Fizz". The 600 was immediate. To each their own. I did actually start out looking at 570s but the 600 was worth the jump for me however the 570 is extraordinary value for money at 80 to 90k I put offers in on a couple but owners being perhaps a bit deluded over attainable prices.....Theres never going to be a big queue of people when you come to sell a Mac sadly!
Interesting views, as per RR my 570s is a TP, slipping down into those P1 seats just sets the tone and feels very different to std seats. I feel you get the best of both worlds though with a TP, quiet and sedate for everyday cruising or journeys where you are not going to appreciate the 600 rawness but get onto the track and the seats feel so right for the day ahead and still very capable.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

6,575 posts

209 months

Wednesday 10th August
quotequote all
Ha yes the 600 does sound like a vacuum at motorway speed an off button would be a good mod!