Anyone have an outlook for old Sports Series range?

Anyone have an outlook for old Sports Series range?

Author
Discussion

TBCReece

1,328 posts

73 months

Wednesday 14th September
quotequote all
dpollard said:
Think the comparison of cars for sale in April and September isnt quite like for like. Plenty of cars go up for sale post summer
Fair point. Here's the comparison year on year including 2020, still a huge increase in availability this year.

570s coupe
- Sep 2020 = 18
- Sep 2021 = 12
- Sep 2022 = 44

570s spyder
- Sep 2020 = 13
- Sep 2021 = 14
- Sep 2022 = 26

dpollard

49 posts

219 months

Thursday 15th September
quotequote all
TBCReece said:
Fair point. Here's the comparison year on year including 2020, still a huge increase in availability this year.

570s coupe
- Sep 2020 = 18
- Sep 2021 = 12
- Sep 2022 = 44

570s spyder
- Sep 2020 = 13
- Sep 2021 = 14
- Sep 2022 = 26
ty bounce

I think another factor is the big 5 year point. Warranty periods end, time to get rid....

davek_964

7,937 posts

159 months

Thursday 15th September
quotequote all
Even the latest figures may not be 'normal' - they were in the middle of a pandemic and lockdowns. Didn't that make a difference?

5 years is not the end of manufacturer warranty - 3 years is. 5 years is when the extended warranty cost goes up.

yak293

171 posts

217 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
The 6th year service is £3350.00 at a mac dealer.

have to drop the fuel tank and change filter. complete nonsensemad really on cars less than 15000 miles.

so a service and warranty £6500 ;

Possibly why so many Getting rid.

However, they are good cars for the dosh.




Edited by yak293 on Tuesday 4th October 17:42

samoht

4,017 posts

130 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
McLaren New Forest have just cut this volcano yellow 570S from £105k to £95k.

Talking to them, they've 're-priced' a lot of their stock, McLaren and Bentley, to get it competitive with the market, this being just one example. They also said that their current finance rates are valid until the end of the month, and after that they'll be going up three percentage points.

So... if you're looking to finance, now might be a good time to buy; conversely as the interest rate rises feed through it may lead to lower demand and prices over the winter, if you're paying cash.

(I was going to go and look at the above car, it looks fab in the pics/video, however I've just found out I can't get my garage door widened until January, so have to hold fire for now. Damn.)


johnnyreggae

2,760 posts

144 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
If its that tempting buy it now and have them store it a few weeks

samoht

4,017 posts

130 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
johnnyreggae said:
If its that tempting buy it now and have them store it a few weeks
Yeah, thought about that (because I am tempted), but doesn't quite work.

They could store it for 2-3 weeks for me, but not 2-3 months.

Anyway then you get into paying to own (& warranty etc) a car you're not driving, having it sit unused etc for a quarter of a year.

I'm not anticipating a huge shortage of cars or major price rises in January*, so while I'm gutted right now, the logical thing to do is to wait.

I'll be happy with Volcano Red/Orange/Yellow, Napier Green, Vega Blue, Mauvine Blue or Lantana Purple, so should be able to find something even if it then takes a couple more months.

(* famous last words)

andrew

9,599 posts

176 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
samoht said:
...they'll be going up three percentage points.
classic salesman bs ? smile

davek_964

7,937 posts

159 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
My 650 didn't fit in my garage. Just meant it lived outside for 3 years.

samoht

4,017 posts

130 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
My 650 didn't fit in my garage. Just meant it lived outside for 3 years.
Yeah, briefly considered that too, but it's a very ordinary suburban semi with a fairly small amount of driveway space and it would end up right up against the pavement (no gates or anything) and blocking in my daily driver. I'd just end up worrying about it to be honest.

andrew said:
samoht said:
...they'll be going up three percentage points.
classic salesman bs ? smile
Yeah, I've considered the possibility of it being an attempt to generate urgency. However I think at that point I'd basically said I was leaning away from financing, so it wouldn't have been terribly effective in that regard. Also looking at what's happened to mortgage rates over the last month or three, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a rise of that magnitude. But yeah just passing on what I heard, and with things so volatile it's very hard to predict what will actually happen - maybe some adults will take over in Westminster and December's rates will be right back down again.

davek_964

7,937 posts

159 months

Friday 14th October
quotequote all
samoht said:
davek_964 said:
My 650 didn't fit in my garage. Just meant it lived outside for 3 years.
Yeah, briefly considered that too, but it's a very ordinary suburban semi with a fairly small amount of driveway space and it would end up right up against the pavement (no gates or anything) and blocking in my daily driver. I'd just end up worrying about it to be honest.
Fair enough - although you've pretty much described how mine was parked (except I didn't block my other cars, but used it 90% of the time anyway) :


justin220

4,913 posts

188 months

Saturday 15th October
quotequote all
Values are definitely softening just now on Sport Series. I had a good chat with a couple of dealers yesterday who have just reduced prices, we were specifically talking about 540s but assuming it's similar with other models

All this market uncertainty, winter, cost of living etc is all playing it's part.

dng992

Original Poster:

52 posts

9 months

Saturday 15th October
quotequote all
samoht said:
McLaren New Forest have just cut this volcano yellow 570S from £105k to £95k.

Talking to them, they've 're-priced' a lot of their stock, McLaren and Bentley, to get it competitive with the market, this being just one example. They also said that their current finance rates are valid until the end of the month, and after that they'll be going up three percentage points.

So... if you're looking to finance, now might be a good time to buy; conversely as the interest rate rises feed through it may lead to lower demand and prices over the winter, if you're paying cash.

(I was going to go and look at the above car, it looks fab in the pics/video, however I've just found out I can't get my garage door widened until January, so have to hold fire for now. Damn.)
sounds great as Ill be a cash buyer..looks like there could be some real actual bargaining on the cards - few £'k maybe? + winter. Im still ever hopeful of securing a 570s hopefully late/early this year

interesting that the rate rises not yet actually fed through

Streetbeat

433 posts

60 months

Saturday 15th October
quotequote all
justin220 said:
Values are definitely softening just now on Sport Series. I had a good chat with a couple of dealers yesterday who have just reduced prices, we were specifically talking about 540s but assuming it's similar with other models

All this market uncertainty, winter, cost of living etc is all playing it's part.
540's were always way too close to 570's imho, some even overlapping. I know its not much if any less of a car, but would thought most would push on a little in the budget to get the 570.

Searching the classifieds still results in firm prices for good spec cars, always the base colours and specs at the bottom of the market, a good one in decent colour and spec is from £100k plus in the adverts and been the same for a while. A gorgeous Cermac Grey came on the market at over £105k (cant remember exactly), sold within a week.

Too much media frenzy over the cost of living crisis, mortgage rates etc, i dont believe anyone looking to drop Mclaren money on a car is going to have to think twice because of the above, if its that tight, they probably pushing to the absolute limit to get one, never a good place to be with a supercar.

samoht

4,017 posts

130 months

Saturday 15th October
quotequote all
Had a really good chat with the James at Hatfield today about all things Sports Series. He said they've also adjusted a few of their prices down a bit recently, and he basically said that £100k will get the vast majority of Sports Series Coupes; it would need to be a very late model, low mileage or rare high spec to justify paying more than that.
That's for a "McLaren Qualifed" car with 12 months official extended warranty included, so private or independent dealer sales should be less, as the former are caveat emptor and the latter can't include McWarranty.

Looking on AT for approved used 570S Coupes, there are cars at £90k, £90k, £95k, £105k & £115k. I'd suggest the latter two are probably £5k high; the last one is a 2020 one-owner car w/ HDK so justifies being a little way into six figures.


I asked about model variations, and James very much sang the praises of ceramic brakes both to drive and to own, justifying the 570 over the 540. Which could be because he doesn't have any 540s to sell wink Otherwise he said the differences between the three behind the wheel were minor.

dng992 said:
sounds great as Ill be a cash buyer..looks like there could be some real actual bargaining on the cards - few £'k maybe? + winter. Im still ever hopeful of securing a 570s hopefully late/early this year

interesting that the rate rises not yet actually fed through
I don't think one can generalise on how much discount you could expect. To take the above-mentioned yellow car as an example, presumably in retrospect if you'd walked into New Forest last weekend when it was up at £105k, you could've negotiated a fairly significant discount. However if you go in this weekend when it's just been cut to £95k, I imagine they'd not be interested in discounting much more off that price, and I'd expect it'll sell fairly soon for pretty much £95k.

Which is all to say that I wouldn't expect dealers to give discount 'just because', but if a car looks poor value against the market, and especially if it's been advertised for a while (check the AT URL for the date), then you should probably be making an offer accordingly.

On the finance rates I imagine they get them fixed a month at a time, set a week or two in advance - I guess you'd really need that sort of stability and advance notice if you're trying to offer and put together a transaction with a part-ex, finance, prep of the new car etc for a customer - it's not a in-and-out thing like a greengrocers for most buyers I imagine smile And the kamikwasi budget was only 23rd Sept, so the resulting chaos could well not've been priced in til next month.

yak293 said:
The 6th year service is £3350.00 at a mac dealer.

have to drop the fuel tank and change filter. complete nonsensemad really on cars less than 15000 miles.

so a service and warranty £6500 ;

Possibly why so many Getting rid.

However, they are good cars for the dosh.
Thanks for flagging the fuel filter issue, I asked James about this. He asked his service guy and quoted an extra £600 inc vat to change the fuel filter at the 6yr mark - on top of £1400 for a 'standard' major, so £2k for that service. Still a big cost especially if someone (eg me) buys a five year old car and then gets hit with a £5k bill after 12 months ownership, but on the other hand if you're getting quoted over £3k for the service, either that includes other work or maybe it's worth shopping around, as I understand (weirdly) that the different franchised dealers have different prices for service work. James also said that work is only 'recommended', unsure what the implications would be of not changing it.


Anyway, I found James at Hatfield very friendly and informative (not always toeing the official McLaren line, either), and they have good coffee coffee so if anyone's interested I recommend a chat with your nearest Mac dealership, my experience so far has been a lot better than internet rumour might suggest - you've nothing to lose except a pleasant morning ogling lots of shiny McLarens smile

davek_964 said:
Fair enough - although you've pretty much described how mine was parked (except I didn't block my other cars, but used it 90% of the time anyway) :
bow I clearly need to cultivate a bit more nonchalance before I can be worthy of joining the elite club of McLaren owners biggrin Anyway all good, I'll get there sooner or later smile

Meps

98 posts

187 months

Sunday 16th October
quotequote all
The yellow 570s was originally £116,950.00 when it went up for sale the end of June.


£116.950.00
£109.950.00
£104.950.00
£94.950.00

The white one was also £102.950.00 now down to £89.950.00 about time the dealers took a kicking.

targarama

14,558 posts

267 months

Sunday 16th October
quotequote all
Meps said:
The yellow 570s was originally £116,950.00 when it went up for sale the end of June.


£116.950.00
£109.950.00
£104.950.00
£94.950.00

The white one was also £102.950.00 now down to £89.950.00 about time the dealers took a kicking.
I worry if they 'take a kicking' that they won't be McLaren dealers any more. Not a great situation for owners. Dealers need to make a profit after all their costs including VAT, so if they have £10-£15k paper gain (i.e. what they bid/pay vs advertise for sale/sell) on car I think that is perfectly reasonable.

So if the above cars are now being sold at cost or a small loss it won't be good news IMO.

m4tti

5,234 posts

139 months

Sunday 16th October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
samoht said:
davek_964 said:
My 650 didn't fit in my garage. Just meant it lived outside for 3 years.
Yeah, briefly considered that too, but it's a very ordinary suburban semi with a fairly small amount of driveway space and it would end up right up against the pavement (no gates or anything) and blocking in my daily driver. I'd just end up worrying about it to be honest.
Fair enough - although you've pretty much described how mine was parked (except I didn't block my other cars, but used it 90% of the time anyway) :

Not to be taken the wrong way, but it seems really odd to spend money on a car, that when new was probably a third if not more of the value of the house it sits outside. Especially on an asset which is effectively dropping money daily.

This seems to be a mindset I see more and more on here, and Facebook etc.

I don’t think I’d sleep at night with out a double garage to roll it in and lock it away, and I’d always be questioning my self that I could probably live somewhere uhh nicer.








Streetbeat

433 posts

60 months

Sunday 16th October
quotequote all
Meps said:
The yellow 570s was originally £116,950.00 when it went up for sale the end of June.


£116.950.00
£109.950.00
£104.950.00
£94.950.00

The white one was also £102.950.00 now down to £89.950.00 about time the dealers took a kicking.
If you knew what the dealers either bid for them or on a p/ex value (which ive just had) they certainly arent taking a kicking even at those price drops wink and with regard to the volcano yellow at NF, whist ever it is in one of the best colours it is very low spec, no exterior carbon, no front lift (mentioned) etc the reccesion white one is a pretty good buy with the P1 seats (no carbon, no lift mentioned), put a decent wrap on it and youve got a nice car with those seats.

A lot of chat on various threads about "buyers" waiting for values to drop before they jump, all the time potential owners are missing out on ownership and driving, which is the only reason to buy a car like a Mclaren, if you want a safe bet and cant afford any depreciation, buy a Porsche GT series car.

If a car is in budget, just buy it and enjoy driving it, its what a car is for!



Edited by Streetbeat on Sunday 16th October 10:06


Edited by Streetbeat on Sunday 16th October 10:57

Streetbeat

433 posts

60 months

Sunday 16th October
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I wonder how the 'right' way to take that is?

We all make different life choices. I have no debt - had no mortgage for years, and paid cash for all of my cars including that one. I'm aware that property is a sensible use of money but it doesn't interest me. It is simply a place to live.
I'm entirely happy living in a house that is adequate for my needs and using my money for whatever I do have an interest in.


What is they say, you can live in a car, but you cant drive a house......

Im with Dave, id much prefer at present to be using the equity i have to enjoy a car whilst im still (cough cough) young enough than live somewhere "better".