Dealer: the Taycan was good for us; it's now a disaster

Dealer: the Taycan was good for us; it's now a disaster

Author
Discussion

Monkeylegend

25,461 posts

221 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
ChocolateFrog said:
They're not rare, see them all the time and I live in a pretty poor area.

Probably the most common Porsche you actually see on the roads.
Like the analogy of the person who says they have 30 years experience of something when in reality it is one years experience repeated 30 times smile

ecs

1,128 posts

160 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
survivalist said:
Richard-G said:
survivalist said:
theboss said:
raspy said:
What do the other few thousand Taycan owners in the UK think about reliability? Just wondering whether the 5 people you know are representative?
Dunno but my brother is on first name terms with his service dept (not in a good way) and didn’t even bother putting his in for the heating replacement when it went early in the winter because his dealer told him frankly there were 50+ others sat there and a delay on parts.

He’s had it done just recently after hardly using the car all winter.

Thats on a 2020 TS.
Did they not offer to put it in the queue and provide a courtesy car in the interim? That’s what I’d expect from a premium car manufacturer.
No they don't, they don't have enough courtesy cars to cope with the heating issue, that's before you get onto the bricked while updating issues and the battery's halving themselves In capacity overnight issue (tho the battery issue only occurred in early cars and have mostly been all fixed now)
I had this with BMW a while back, their courtesy cars were all out so one of the car hire companies delivered something similar. Seems odd that Porsche don’t do the same.
Porsche can't get enough cars to sell, let alone having them as workshop cars. There's fewer techs who can work on Taycans too.

Service with this cars isn't great - things break and they'll squeeze it in and try and fix it, but you'll be without a car. Or, you wait 3 months for a courtesy car.

If you can convince Porsche Assist to recover the car, they'll give you a filthy Audi from Enterprise. It has to be an Audi though, if Enterprise don't have one then it'll delay things.

Edited by ecs on Thursday 23 March 10:54

Flying machine

1,067 posts

166 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
I've just booked my Taycan in this morning to have an issue with TPMS looked at - no problem getting a date and courtesy car for next month. It's a car, they break from time to time if you use them, just like any other car. Yes the range is a bit poor and the car is a bit large, but they are quite nice other than that.

I use mine as a company car, and if the government wants to make it an attractive financial proposition wrt tax then I'm going to take it as I feel that I pay quite enough tax for them to thoughtlessly waste as it is.

Having just flicked through this thread, what on earth is all this nonsense about nurses and Taycans? Only on PH...


theboss

6,408 posts

209 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
survivalist said:
theboss said:
raspy said:
What do the other few thousand Taycan owners in the UK think about reliability? Just wondering whether the 5 people you know are representative?
Dunno but my brother is on first name terms with his service dept (not in a good way) and didn’t even bother putting his in for the heating replacement when it went early in the winter because his dealer told him frankly there were 50+ others sat there and a delay on parts.

He’s had it done just recently after hardly using the car all winter.

Thats on a 2020 TS.
Did they not offer to put it in the queue and provide a courtesy car in the interim? That’s what I’d expect from a premium car manufacturer.
Yes they did I'm sure, but he didn't want to do that. He has a number of other cars so wasn't bothered about needing a loan car urgently, and felt he would prefer his car was sat on his own drive - so he could use it during periods of milder weather for example - than in the dealer's back yard.

He had the work done a month ago by which time they had been able to get hold of the replacement parts and also sorted him out with a C-class diesel whilst it was in.

The problem is that this really isn't an isolated incident, he's had no end of problems. He's as enthusiastic about the car as you can get in spite of this.

My own feeling is mixed. I thought I wanted one and got my name on the list for an order, but I'm finding ownership experiences extremely off-putting. It doesn't help that I'm 50 miles from my nearest dealer and I really can't be bothered with something that might need constant rectification work, I just don't have time or patience for unreliability.

rodericb

5,704 posts

116 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
raspy said:
Richard-G said:
if anyone wants to see tens of taycan as a time, head to your local porsche dealer, they're all outside being fixed or awaiting parts!

im glad in a way, my M3 long range goes back in December and i hope to get into a taycan 4 . i just need to work out if i can stand the loss of range, efficiency and i can avoid potential borkage!

i know of 4 or 5 people who have various tunes of taycan (company owners) and the reliability is atrocious, no wonder why porsche have appeared as the most unreliable car brand in the UK.
What do the other few thousand Taycan owners in the UK think about reliability? Just wondering whether the 5 people you know are representative?
If Richard-G knows five people with these cars and all have reliability issues I reckon that's reasonably representative.

Mikehig

590 posts

51 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
Durzel said:
Taycan is a first generation car for Porsche, and (I think?) their first electic car? Is it any wonder there are teething issues?

The best case scenario is that the second generation car is a lot better....
Not their first electric car:
https://www.porsche.com/stories/innovation/gamecha...
However that was well over a century.....

b0rk

2,127 posts

136 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
The heater issue surely indicates that something is off in the QA / validation department. The part is I presume purchased in from a known tier 1 supplier just it is not as designed fit for purpose or the suppliers process control is abysmal.

A “premium” manufacturer such as Porsche should have found this problem during development testing.

m12nathan

506 posts

133 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
rodericb said:
If Richard-G knows five people with these cars and all have reliability issues I reckon that's reasonably representative.
And more to the point the least reliable car thing doesn’t come from those 5 cars alone but from this:

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/porsche-named-least-rel...

ChocolateFrog

21,182 posts

163 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
ChocolateFrog said:
They're not rare, see them all the time and I live in a pretty poor area.

Probably the most common Porsche you actually see on the roads.
Like the analogy of the person who says they have 30 years experience of something when in reality it is one years experience repeated 30 times smile
Almost 30% of the cars they sold last year were Taycans (in the UK), I stand by my statement.

Edited by ChocolateFrog on Thursday 23 March 22:25

Richard-G

1,595 posts

165 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
rodericb said:
raspy said:
Richard-G said:
if anyone wants to see tens of taycan as a time, head to your local porsche dealer, they're all outside being fixed or awaiting parts!

im glad in a way, my M3 long range goes back in December and i hope to get into a taycan 4 . i just need to work out if i can stand the loss of range, efficiency and i can avoid potential borkage!

i know of 4 or 5 people who have various tunes of taycan (company owners) and the reliability is atrocious, no wonder why porsche have appeared as the most unreliable car brand in the UK.
What do the other few thousand Taycan owners in the UK think about reliability? Just wondering whether the 5 people you know are representative?
If Richard-G knows five people with these cars and all have reliability issues I reckon that's reasonably representative.
Pic of me below actually driving one of them (ignore the watch placement) this one is a 2021 turbo s, spent 16 weeks in the dealer since April 2021, its done 7000 miles...

Bobtherallyfan

1,145 posts

68 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
m12nathan said:
And more to the point the least reliable car thing doesn’t come from those 5 cars alone but from this:

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/porsche-named-least-rel...
Yet again someone quotes a ‘reliability’ index which is actually partially based on the cost of repairs….and is published by a company who are in the business of encouraging people who drive expensive cars to take out an extended warranty.

OutInTheShed

5,117 posts

16 months

Thursday 23rd March
quotequote all
b0rk said:
The heater issue surely indicates that something is off in the QA / validation department. The part is I presume purchased in from a known tier 1 supplier just it is not as designed fit for purpose or the suppliers process control is abysmal.

A “premium” manufacturer such as Porsche should have found this problem during development testing.
'development testing' is done by 'early adopters'.

m12nathan

506 posts

133 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
Bobtherallyfan said:
Yet again someone quotes a ‘reliability’ index which is actually partially based on the cost of repairs….and is published by a company who are in the business of encouraging people who drive expensive cars to take out an extended warranty.
Ok, so Porsche are both unreliable and expensive to repair.

If they didn’t break they wouldn’t be in that position on the list.

Built down to a price by accountants, dunno why people think they are special in terms of build, they are just the one up from Seat in the VAG sporting hierarchy, not some special bespoke high quality manufacturer.

SWoll

16,183 posts

248 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
ChocolateFrog said:
Monkeylegend said:
ChocolateFrog said:
They're not rare, see them all the time and I live in a pretty poor area.

Probably the most common Porsche you actually see on the roads.
Like the analogy of the person who says they have 30 years experience of something when in reality it is one years experience repeated 30 times smile
Almost 30% of the cars they sold last year were Taycans (in the UK), I stand by my statement.

Edited by ChocolateFrog on Thursday 23 March 22:25
30% of a small number is an even smaller number. The Taycan didn't make the top 10 BEV sales list in 2022 and wasn't even Porsche's best selling car. Porsche's total UK sales across all models in 2022 were less than Tesla Model 3 sales.



As I mentioned earlier there are more Cayenne's and Macan's on the road than there are Taycans, and by a huge margin. That's facts versus perception I'm afraid.

raspy

1,224 posts

84 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
ChocolateFrog said:
Almost 30% of the cars they sold last year were Taycans (in the UK), I stand by my statement.

Edited by ChocolateFrog on Thursday 23 March 22:25
Your statement is flawed. It's a rare car, even if you don't perceive it to be.

1.65 million new cars registered on UK roads during 2021. How many of them were Taycans? Over 4,000 according to Porsche GB.

That's just 0.24% of new cars in 2021 which were Taycans.

Flying machine

1,067 posts

166 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
m12nathan said:
Bobtherallyfan said:
Yet again someone quotes a ‘reliability’ index which is actually partially based on the cost of repairs….and is published by a company who are in the business of encouraging people who drive expensive cars to take out an extended warranty.
Ok, so Porsche are both unreliable and expensive to repair.

If they didn’t break they wouldn’t be in that position on the list.

Built down to a price by accountants, dunno why people think they are special in terms of build, they are just the one up from Seat in the VAG sporting hierarchy, not some special bespoke high quality manufacturer.
This article is referencing cars between 3 and 10 years old. So that wont include the Taycan then, and is totally irrelevant to a discussion about, the Taycan. The cars caught by this sort of warranty company are probably not the best examples anyway and likely to be owned by people who for whatever reason (cost probably) don't renew and maintain an OPC warranty, which covers everything pretty much IME, no hassle.

m12nathan

506 posts

133 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
Flying machine said:
This article is referencing cars between 3 and 10 years old. So that wont include the Taycan then, and is totally irrelevant to a discussion about, the Taycan. The cars caught by this sort of warranty company are probably not the best examples anyway and likely to be owned by people who for whatever reason (cost probably) don't renew and maintain an OPC warranty, which covers everything pretty much IME, no hassle.
No hassle apart from lengthly delays to fit you in like they are doing you a favour, lack of parts, being without the car you have paid for for a long time.

Face it, they are cheaply made with VW accountant selecting parts, not engineers.

Flying machine

1,067 posts

166 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
m12nathan said:
Flying machine said:
This article is referencing cars between 3 and 10 years old. So that wont include the Taycan then, and is totally irrelevant to a discussion about, the Taycan. The cars caught by this sort of warranty company are probably not the best examples anyway and likely to be owned by people who for whatever reason (cost probably) don't renew and maintain an OPC warranty, which covers everything pretty much IME, no hassle.
No hassle apart from lengthly delays to fit you in like they are doing you a favour, lack of parts, being without the car you have paid for for a long time.

Face it, they are cheaply made with VW accountant selecting parts, not engineers.
Is this based on your experience as an owner of a new Taycan, or just internet conjecture? I've never had any problems booking cars in for service or repairs with Porsche, petrol or EV. IME I don't recognise no "lengthly (sic) delays to fit you in like they are doing you a favour, lack of parts, being without the car you have paid for for a long time". I am probably fortunate not to have suffered with the heater failure that some have - that does sound utterly miserable.

Everything is made to a budget, everywhere, Porsche being no different. Compared to the Tesla that I had before, the Taycan feels a much nicer car, as it should IMO as it cost a lot more.

Benny Saltstein

602 posts

203 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
Are there similar issues with the Etron GT in terms of reliability (actual or perceived) and residual values?

In spite of the lesser range, lack of charging infrastructure etc etc, the Taycan and Etron GT are the only EVs which would appeal when I decide to change out of my Model 3. Nothing else really appeals although I have a secret guilty appreciation of the iX.

cb31

1,080 posts

126 months

Friday 24th March
quotequote all
I read somewhere that the Tacan suffered a lot more than most cars due to the Ukraine war where a lot of parts were sourced. They had to get replacements at short notice from elsewhere and seemingly they were of a lower quality which is causing issues later. Sounds reasonable but who knows if it is true or not.