The Le Mans weather thread

The Le Mans weather thread

Author
Discussion
Monday 8th June
quotequote all
I have to admit, the weather for LM this week looks to be absolutely st.

lowdrag

Original Poster:

10,913 posts

173 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
Yes, about 13C in the morning and about 25C in the afternoon with showers. Now, since you will all be coming in September (you will, won't you?) be prepared for 9 hours of darkness, a morning temperature of down to 7C and a maximum of 17C. Makes this weekend seem positively tropical, doesn't it
Monday 8th June
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
Yes, about 13C in the morning and about 25C in the afternoon with showers. Now, since you will all be coming in September (you will, won't you?) be prepared for 9 hours of darkness, a morning temperature of down to 7C and a maximum of 17C. Makes this weekend seem positively tropical, doesn't it
I’m only seeing next Monday as 25c but rain everyday apart from Sun, and max of 17c and 2 days barely over 20c.

You seem to have forgot that I went to the LM Truck race last year and stopped over at Houx. That was 28-29 September and apart from the rain on the Sunday it was OK. Crossing was a bit rough, there and back.

wsn03

1,532 posts

61 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
lowdrag said:
Yes, about 13C in the morning and about 25C in the afternoon with showers. Now, since you will all be coming in September (you will, won't you?) be prepared for 9 hours of darkness, a morning temperature of down to 7C and a maximum of 17C. Makes this weekend seem positively tropical, doesn't it
You seem to have forgot that I went to the LM Truck race last year
Not wanting to hijack the subject but what was that like? The Moto 24 is excellent- great atmosphere with a full and crazy French crowd. Most entertaining.

As for cold...anyone who has camped in the Isle of Man can deal with anything
Monday 8th June
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
Not wanting to hijack the subject but what was that like? The Moto 24 is excellent- great atmosphere with a full and crazy French crowd. Most entertaining.

As for cold...anyone who has camped in the Isle of Man can deal with anything
It was good fun and yes a full and crazy French crowd, I enjoyed it. The French group I camped next to were good fun and they asked me to join them for dinner. Where my school days French let me down was more than made up with Google translate. I still chat to a few via email.

Bullet-Proof_Biscuit

955 posts

37 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
We might opt for glamping or similar if Sept will be cold, I'm usually further south in that season, didn't occur to me that cold might happen!

vincegail

2,197 posts

115 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
As for cold...anyone who has camped in the Isle of Man can deal with anything
Will keep this in mind for next year's TT beer

Welshbeef

42,400 posts

158 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
Watching a fair few Le Mans clips.

Currently seeing 1999 with Brundel in the Toyota and he was leading setting Leo times near qualifying @ 3:37....
I just think of that 3:15 seconds last year how things have moved on with the same identical track incredible.

vincegail

2,197 posts

115 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
Pole time that year was 3:29.930, so a bit quicker than your number. Still a massive difference compared to present pole times, mind.

wsn03

1,532 posts

61 months

Monday 8th June
quotequote all
vincegail said:
wsn03 said:
As for cold...anyone who has camped in the Isle of Man can deal with anything
Will keep this in mind for next year's TT beer
I'll be at the Nurburgring 24, which I believe will have a temperature range as low as 12c

Thats about 9c warmer than the lows ive witnessed on the Island.

Weather is definitely a factor in my "lets do Le Mans instead" discussions with myself.
Odd though that ive fallen in love with the NW200 in N Ireland- that place makes the North Pole seem warm at times. Must be the Guinness...

Printertosh

542 posts

128 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Used to camp in a single lined tent at Santa Pod in March! At least you'd get away with a campfire back then to warm up beforehand. smile

Welshbeef

42,400 posts

158 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Printertosh said:
Used to camp in a single lined tent at Santa Pod in March! At least you'd get away with a campfire back then to warm up beforehand. smile
May I introduce you to Whiskey this lovely drink (& brandy too) will keep you warm at night.

Printertosh

542 posts

128 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Printertosh said:
Used to camp in a single lined tent at Santa Pod in March! At least you'd get away with a campfire back then to warm up beforehand. smile
May I introduce you to Whiskey this lovely drink (& brandy too) will keep you warm at night.
I was on the vodka and lager back then, not sure if it kept me warm though biggrin Luckily on the coldest weekend I had my girlfriend (now wife) there to help me practice my survival skills wink

wsn03

1,532 posts

61 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
It was good fun and yes a full and crazy French crowd, I enjoyed it. The French group I camped next to were good fun and they asked me to join them for dinner. Where my school days French let me down was more than made up with Google translate. I still chat to a few via email.
I've added it to my list then, if its anything like Moto 24 it will be another very fun weekend. Never crossed my mind before now

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
I've added it to my list then, if its anything like Moto 24 it will be another very fun weekend. Never crossed my mind before now
The campsite available is Houx...world famous for:



lowdrag

Original Poster:

10,913 posts

173 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Les chiottes à la Turque! Plant your feet, bend and give a good heave! Far less of them around these days than the turn of the century!

wsn03

1,532 posts

61 months

Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
wsn03 said:
I've added it to my list then, if its anything like Moto 24 it will be another very fun weekend. Never crossed my mind before now
The campsite available is Houx...world famous for:


Hmm...the site I stayed at for my first Le Mans in 2008. Queing alongside the bogs for the shower...nasty
Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
Fortunately they have alternate portabogs and portashowers on Houx. But the squats are still there and I suppose are handy for the showers in them too.
Tuesday 9th June
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
Les chiottes à la Turque! Plant your feet, bend and give a good heave! Far less of them around these days than the turn of the century!
Apparently nature’s preferred position for taking a dump. Good angle to get it out, but awkward and uncomfortable enough that you don’t hang around reading the paper and so get piles.

wsn03

1,532 posts

61 months

Wednesday 10th June
quotequote all
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
lowdrag said:
Les chiottes à la Turque! Plant your feet, bend and give a good heave! Far less of them around these days than the turn of the century!
Apparently nature’s preferred position for taking a dump. Good angle to get it out, but awkward and uncomfortable enough that you don’t hang around reading the paper and so get piles.
Well it failed me. I was living on my own and used to a throne in total privacy. The group we were with were clueless enough to live on dry chicken and chips just to compound matters (they didn't even go to the race).

I think it was the champagne i had on race night that finally pushed out 3 days of rancid stale food into the piss stained hole in the ground at about 4am.

It was a grim welcome to my first Le Mans.