No MM live stream without GRRC membership / fellowship.

No MM live stream without GRRC membership / fellowship.

Author
Discussion

Riley Blue

Original Poster:

14,360 posts

165 months

Thundersports

359 posts

84 months

Thursday 28th February
quotequote all
Goodwood has again done a great job of alienating the public who are interesting in racing by putting a pay wall up for the live streaming. I can only hope they disappear up there own arses soon. I think being "a member" sums it up nicely.

Save your money and go to a Masters or HSCC meetings, The price of joining grrc and admission ticket alone will get you in to a few better meetings with full access.


Edited by Thundersports on Thursday 28th February 23:54


Edited by Thundersports on Thursday 28th February 23:58


Edited by Thundersports on Thursday 28th February 23:59

ukaskew

4,725 posts

160 months

Friday 1st March
quotequote all
I've just cancelled my Fellowship as MM tickets aside I got zero use out of it, the social side is pretty poor and you don't even get read only access to the forums, which was where all the useful updates re: snow were exclusively posted by staff last year in the build up to the MM.

Early access to other tickets is largely redundant as nothing sells out that quickly, FoS tickets in particular usually remain on sale right up to the event.

Thankfully £39 just to be able to buy tickets was just about justified by realising that I could buy tickets two years in a row on one annual membership if you time it right. A loophole they will probably close at some point.

Edited by ukaskew on Friday 1st March 01:43

MDUBZ

231 posts

39 months

Friday 1st March
quotequote all
Assumption: you are complaining because you think the coverage is good and it’s been taken away as a free service? It must cost a few quid to offer the coverage so why not try to recoup some/ all of the funds or even turn a profit from it? Seems fair to me. Instead of complaining here why not try to get a free for view channel to buy the rights and get them to show it interlaced with adverts so they can cover their costs.

Agree that goodwood is elitist, but isn’t that the attraction for members - it keeps the great unwashed out and stops them putting their grubby hands all over the cars. No, I’m not a member - but i can just about afford the soap required to get in to enjoy some of the events, but if i can get a fix at the other events cited then i might do that too.

Edited by MDUBZ on Friday 1st March 08:37

34053

37 posts

48 months

Friday 1st March
quotequote all
I do enjoy indignation resulting from the taking away of free things.

The Fellowship was created to deal with the people who just sat on the GRRC waiting list enjoying freebies and then just declined membership when they reached the top of the list. Seems to be doing its job.

It is not early access to tickets which I think is important but early access to grandstands - like the chicane grandstand at Revival. Those definitely sell out quite quickly.
Advertisement

7/11

215 posts

149 months

Friday 1st March
quotequote all
Hopefully the sponsors involved in the MM have got a heavy discount as the vast majority of people can neither go to the meeting or view the meeting on line!

Thundersports

359 posts

84 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
34053 said:
I do enjoy indignation resulting from the taking away of free things.

The Fellowship was created to deal with the people who just sat on the GRRC waiting list enjoying freebies and then just declined membership when they reached the top of the list. Seems to be doing its job.

It is not early access to tickets which I think is important but early access to grandstands - like the chicane grandstand at Revival. Those definitely sell out quite quickly.
I've never been on the grrc waiting list whatever that is! In fact having looked in to what it is i'd rather set fire to my head than be part of that. The point i'm making is that by putting the stream behind a paywall you're alienating racing fans like me who is more than happy at a Brands clubby meeting. In the long term possibly losing the younger generation who are interested but now unable to view the meeting. The whole exclusivity thing makes goodwood stink of elitist, prawn sandwich eating yah yahs who haven't a clue about racing which suits a venue only interested in ££££££.

Edited by Thundersports on Saturday 2nd March 01:16

ecsrobin

9,592 posts

104 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
I can’t see what the problem is. You pay for F1, WEC and other series to watch so why can’t this be any different?

It also says:

“For the 77th Members’ Meeting highlight clips and a selection of live races will still be publicly available to view online and on ITV4. However, only those part of the Goodwood Road Racing Club can enjoy the full, uninterrupted, two-day experience, through attendance over the weekend or via the live streams.”

So you will still get to see more coverage online and TV for free than a club event at brands hatch!

ukaskew

4,725 posts

160 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
Thundersports said:
The whole exclusivity thing makes goodwood stink of elitist, prawn sandwich eating yah yahs who haven't a clue about racing which suits a venue only interested in ££££££.
Funny thing is, that's exactly what makes the MM so wonderful for commoners like me. 95% of attendees don't leave the vicinity of the paddock or start line for the weekend, particularly so in the past few years when it's been a bit fresh. I doubt there is another event in the world with that calibre of car or drivers that you can literally be out at a corner on your own watching them fly by.

For that reason I entirely ignore the dress code and just make sure I'm warm enough to be out at the back of the circuit and whatever weather they can throw at me.

It's a wonderful event for me because it's not an event for me.

tighnamara

920 posts

92 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
Thundersports said:
I've never been on the grrc waiting list whatever that is! In fact having looked in to what it is i'd rather set fire to my head than be part of that. The point i'm making is that by putting the stream behind a paywall you're alienating racing fans like me who is more than happy at a Brands clubby meeting. In the long term possibly losing the younger generation who are interested but now unable to view the meeting. The whole exclusivity thing makes goodwood stink of elitist, prawn sandwich eating yah yahs who haven't a clue about racing which suits a venue only interested in ££££££.

Edited by Thundersports on Saturday 2nd March 01:16
For the 77th Members’ Meeting highlight clips and a selection of live races will still be publicly available to view online and on ITV4

m4tti

4,234 posts

94 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
MDUBZ said:
Assumption: you are complaining because you think the coverage is good and it’s been taken away as a free service? It must cost a few quid to offer the coverage so why not try to recoup some/ all of the funds or even turn a profit from it? Seems fair to me. Instead of complaining here why not try to get a free for view channel to buy the rights and get them to show it interlaced with adverts so they can cover their costs.

Agree that goodwood is elitist, but isn’t that the attraction for members - it keeps the great unwashed out and stops them putting their grubby hands all over the cars. No, I’m not a member - but i can just about afford the soap required to get in to enjoy some of the events, but if i can get a fix at the other events cited then i might do that too.

Edited by MDUBZ on Friday 1st March 08:37
It’s a shame they can’t make the FOS members only on a Friday. I’d pay double the ticket price getmecoat

34053

37 posts

48 months

Saturday 2nd March
quotequote all
Thundersports said:
I've never been on the grrc waiting list whatever that is! In fact having looked in to what it is i'd rather set fire to my head than be part of that. The point i'm making is that by putting the stream behind a paywall you're alienating racing fans like me who is more than happy at a Brands clubby meeting. In the long term possibly losing the younger generation who are interested but now unable to view the meeting. The whole exclusivity thing makes goodwood stink of elitist, prawn sandwich eating yah yahs who haven't a clue about racing which suits a venue only interested in ££££££.

Edited by Thundersports on Saturday 2nd March 01:16
Hi Thundersports

I apologise. However - there's plenty on youtube of past meetings for the younger generation though I agree they do need to be encouraged. There are plenty of historic racing meetings around. Goodwood has it's own brand to differentiate itself.

I've been a member for 20 years - all the GRRC members I've spoken to are ardent car enthusiasts. Some of them no doubt eat prawn sandwiches (I do). Some of them may be yah yahs (what is a yah yah? - if you're suggesting they're all upper class I can assure you they are from a great range of backgrounds). The ones I've met have lots of clue about racing - many have cars which they race themselves. Goodwood has to be interested in money otherwise there will be no more Goodwood.

I love it - I think it stinks of brilliance.

ecsrobin

9,592 posts

104 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
Plus to race at the members meeting you have to be a member.

Simes205

3,138 posts

167 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
Thundersports said:
The whole exclusivity thing makes goodwood stink of elitist, prawn sandwich eating yah yahs who haven't a clue about racing which suits a venue only interested in ££££££.
Funny thing is, that's exactly what makes the MM so wonderful for commoners like me. 95% of attendees don't leave the vicinity of the paddock or start line for the weekend, particularly so in the past few years when it's been a bit fresh. I doubt there is another event in the world with that calibre of car or drivers that you can literally be out at a corner on your own watching them fly by.

For that reason I entirely ignore the dress code and just make sure I'm warm enough to be out at the back of the circuit and whatever weather they can throw at me.

It's a wonderful event for me because it's not an event for me.
Same here. See you at St Mary’s in a months time!

coppice

5,037 posts

83 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
I am conflicted about this , as I've been conflicted about Goodwood since its first revival. The fact is that both the Revival and MM are wonderful events at a brilliant circuit(second only to Cadwell in the UK) and organised to a standard that makes most events look like amateur hour . You pay for it , but that's OK because in VFM terms it is still worth it for me, and far more so than watching the GP (which I did for nearly 30years running ) .

But - I gave up the Revival because it turned into a bloody pantomime, I found the reek of privilege overpowering and the paddock dress code a joke . I still adore the MM , even though I hold my nose when all that absurd house stuff gets mentioned. I went to a Poundshop public school and certainly don't harbour any nostalgia for all that ridiculous garbage

In 2017 I was unable to attend MM because I became ill the day before the event - and it was brilliant consolation being able to watch the whole event live on TV . I am sad that Goodwood has resolved that , apart from charging top dollar for the event , they now want to monetise even the TV stream . In my naivety I thought that, just for once , an organiser was putting something back to the sport by allowing enthusiasts who couldn't attend (because of geography or budget ) to enjoy their world famous event. After all , the Duke may be running a business but everything I've read about the man suggests he is an enthusiast too .

But his enthusiasm appears now to be only for his balance sheet .


ecsrobin

9,592 posts

104 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
coppice said:
I am conflicted about this , as I've been conflicted about Goodwood since its first revival. The fact is that both the Revival and MM are wonderful events at a brilliant circuit(second only to Cadwell in the UK) and organised to a standard that makes most events look like amateur hour . You pay for it , but that's OK because in VFM terms it is still worth it for me, and far more so than watching the GP (which I did for nearly 30years running ) .

But - I gave up the Revival because it turned into a bloody pantomime, I found the reek of privilege overpowering and the paddock dress code a joke . I still adore the MM , even though I hold my nose when all that absurd house stuff gets mentioned. I went to a Poundshop public school and certainly don't harbour any nostalgia for all that ridiculous garbage

In 2017 I was unable to attend MM because I became ill the day before the event - and it was brilliant consolation being able to watch the whole event live on TV . I am sad that Goodwood has resolved that , apart from charging top dollar for the event , they now want to monetise even the TV stream . In my naivety I thought that, just for once , an organiser was putting something back to the sport by allowing enthusiasts who couldn't attend (because of geography or budget ) to enjoy their world famous event. After all , the Duke may be running a business but everything I've read about the man suggests he is an enthusiast too .

But his enthusiasm appears now to be only for his balance sheet .

But in your scenario to now purchase a ticket you would be a member or fellowship member so you would still get to watch the live stream.

As for the revival paddock access it’s not exactly hard tie and jacket or period overalls will get you in. I guess it just keeps out the die hard Subaru or ford fans who pack out the back of their circuit in their matching hats and coats.

coppice

5,037 posts

83 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
It's not me I'm bothered about - it's the folk who can't afford to go to MM or Revival and hence would not buy GRRC membership either.

The dress code sticks in my craw. If people want to dress up in what they think is period or formal dress that's fine, but making it compulsory for paddock entry is ridiculous . And the irony is that the past which Goodwood is recreating never existed - I attended my first races in the 60s and the dress code was whatever kept the rain and wind out, the bogs were holes in the ground, the food was a universe away from Goodwood's vegan porridge bar and smoking was compulsory.

ecsrobin

9,592 posts

104 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
I consider the cars and drivers to be the best in historic motorsport. Likewise F1 is considered by many to be top flight in modern motorsport.

Both you have to pay to watch the live stream. Both you get a highlights show for free.

Riley Blue

Original Poster:

14,360 posts

165 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
coppice said:
It's not me I'm bothered about - it's the folk who can't afford to go to MM or Revival and hence would not buy GRRC membership either.

The dress code sticks in my craw. If people want to dress up in what they think is period or formal dress that's fine, but making it compulsory for paddock entry is ridiculous . And the irony is that the past which Goodwood is recreating never existed - I attended my first races in the 60s and the dress code was whatever kept the rain and wind out, the bogs were holes in the ground, the food was a universe away from Goodwood's vegan porridge bar and smoking was compulsory.
I tend to agree. For the same outlay it cost me to attend the Revival in my Riley a few years back I could go to two seasons of historic racing at any of four circuits less than a two hour's drive from me and I wouldn't have to dress up in a costume no one wore 'back in the day'.

Taylor James

24 posts

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Some interesting points of view on this thread.

I'm a long time GRRC member and although I love the Revival, including the dressing up, I must admit I find the MM House stuff a bit too public school and pretentious.

In the final analysis, if people don't like it, they're free to spend their money elsewhere. Goodwood sets the rules and clearly they are more than acceptable for huge numbers of people.