Will it even go ahead?

Will it even go ahead?

Author
Discussion

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
Ramona said:
The border between the Republic Of Ireland and Northern Ireland was effectively like that. There were a number of manned checkpoints - all other border crossings were "unapproved roads", and the army had authority to shoot to kill if you were caught on one.

I found myself accidentally driving on unapproved roads a couple of times (this was before sat navs) and was always very happy to get off them.
That sounds scary. I only went to S Ireland in the 90s, I remember being near a known dodgy border town, with soldiers with big guns stopping random cars

NNH

1,061 posts

85 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
NNH said:
At least between France and the Benelux, I remember that there were patrols setting up random checks on the smaller roads. Every so often, someone would forget to take their passport with them on the way out, and would have to ask very nicely to be allowed back into their country when the border patrol showed up.
So effectively you could still smuggle between borders without too much trouble then. Interesting
Cigarettes, mainly.

LM240

3,195 posts

171 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
I don’t panic at things and I’m skeptical of some of the scaremongering news.

However, seeing the steps being taken in other countries and the way things are going, i’m already starting to think it isn’t going to happen in June.

Of course I hope it will blow over and everything carries on as normal. But if it is still lingering and there is a ‘risk’ I’d have to think about things. I go with my dad who is over 70 and although healthy, would be more at serious risk if he caught it.

lowdrag

10,358 posts

166 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
I have no choice, I am over 70, have asthma, and live at Le Mans! eekeekrolleyes

//j17

3,402 posts

176 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
Ramona said:
The border between the Republic Of Ireland and Northern Ireland was effectively like that. There were a number of manned checkpoints - all other border crossings were "unapproved roads", and the army had authority to shoot to kill if you were caught on one.

I found myself accidentally driving on unapproved roads a couple of times (this was before sat navs) and was always very happy to get off them.
That sounds scary. I only went to S Ireland in the 90s, I remember being near a known dodgy border town, with soldiers with big guns stopping random cars
The Northern Irish comedian Patrick Kielty has a story of being a freshly licened yound driver enjoying the freedom of the open road back in the height of the troubles...till he came around a bend and smashed in to a parked army Land Rover. Thankfully the look of shock and suprise was clear-enough on his face that said Land Rover's rife-bearing soldiers were able to quickly work out they weren't under attack smile

LM24Nut

581 posts

15 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
Well, Virgin Atlantic have emailed to advise that I shouldn't worry because they're going to make sure the plane is super clean for when we go to Orlando (for Sebring) next Tues.

On a slightly different note, my boss has asked me to take my work laptop etc with me "just in case you can't get back to the UK and have to work from the US"...which is pretty cool because I'm a contractor so if I get "stuck" for whatever reason, I can still work and earn.

And yes, I'm outside of IR35...lolz

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
LM24Nut said:
And yes, I'm outside of IR35...lolz
Good lad...the only way to be

LM24Nut

581 posts

15 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
Good lad...the only way to be
I failed big time there mate, I wrote "my boss"...that should have been "the person who approves my payments" aka "my client".

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
LM24Nut said:
I failed big time there mate, I wrote "my boss"...that should have been "the person who approves my payments" aka "my client".
Disguised employee !!!! Tut

FredericRobinson

2,020 posts

185 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
Sebring WEC off, looks like I won't be able to fly over for the 12 hour either, Having been to the EU in the last 14 days

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
Sebring WEC off, looks like I won't be able to fly over for the 12 hour either, Having been to the EU in the last 14 days
Any bets on Spa WEC? Its not a big crowd puller. I'd like to have something to go to this side of winter

LM24Nut

581 posts

15 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
Sebring WEC off, looks like I won't be able to fly over for the 12 hour either, Having been to the EU in the last 14 days
Any chance of refund on the flights?

ferrus

38 posts

15 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
LM24Nut said:
Any chance of refund on the flights?
Have eight flights booked for this year.

So far, Qatar and Air France (for Le Mans), have come through with offers of free flight changes - or swaps for 12 month travel vouchers. So some airlines are responding positively.
Still waiting to hear from the low cost airline grumpy

Good luck to everyone affected by this. I think we'll all be in the same boat very, very shortly.

LM24Nut

581 posts

15 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
ferrus said:
Have eight flights booked for this year.

So far, Qatar and Air France (for Le Mans), have come through with offers of free flight changes - or swaps for 12 month travel vouchers. So some airlines are responding positively.
Still waiting to hear from the low cost airline grumpy

Good luck to everyone affected by this. I think we'll all be in the same boat very, very shortly.
We're booked on Virgin Atlantic for 17th March from Gatwick to Orlando. Should be interesting.

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
LM24Nut said:
We're booked on Virgin Atlantic for 17th March from Gatwick to Orlando. Should be interesting.
I've started a contract witj a pharma company. Just had first meeting with the boss...he said we seem to me on the same trajectory as Italy, just 5 weeks behind.

He reckons soon we'll be office closed down

Also said summer will kill it off.

Disruption til July I reckon if they're correct

LM24Nut

581 posts

15 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
I've started a contract witj a pharma company. Just had first meeting with the boss...he said we seem to me on the same trajectory as Italy, just 5 weeks behind.

He reckons soon we'll be office closed down

Also said summer will kill it off.

Disruption til July I reckon if they're correct
I came across an article on the BBC from 2015 which stated that parts of London had more cases of TB than Iraq. I was a bit shocked to read the following:

"More than 80% of London TB cases occur in people who were born abroad. It is not known how many people arrive with latent TB and it is not deemed cost-effective to screen for it"

Not deemed cost-effective to screen for it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34637...

No panic over that whatsoever.

Just to add, London Underground to be closed for 3 weeks IS FAKE NEWS!!!

Edited by LM24Nut on Thursday 12th March 11:19


Edited by LM24Nut on Thursday 12th March 11:21

LawrieC

154 posts

57 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
Boris's Boffins were saying that infections should reach a peak in 8-12 weeks if most of us catch it. Yes, that's the first week of June. It should fade away in a similar period, which brings us to an end of August postponement. However, China and Singapore have kept it under control, so we should stop buying bogroll, and wash our hands a bit more often.

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
My step son had a horrendous cough which they said was a viral infection in late January before coronovirus reached the news. The cough lasted 4 weeks, mild fever symptoms for a few days.

Daughter 3 yrs old then got a dry cough for a couple of weeks. My 4 yr old dry cough started. Im starting to think stepsonh caught it!

That would make me a carrier. Blimey.

A load of fuss about nothing.
Flu is killing way more people every day

I'll call 911 and see if they can cancel a few sporting events.


slartibartfast

3,807 posts

154 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
A load of fuss about nothing.
not quite, it's pneumonia that is the issue in Italy and the lack of ventilators, should you be unlucky to contract it and the hospitals full to capacity and all ventilators used up you are pretty much screwed.
The media aren't telling you this to stop Joe public from panicking.

wsn03

1,100 posts

54 months

Thursday 12th March
quotequote all
slartibartfast said:
wsn03 said:
A load of fuss about nothing.
The media aren't telling you this to stop Joe public from panicking.
Well it hasn't worked...just been to tescos...no bog rolls...rows of empty pasta shelves.