Will it even go ahead?

Will it even go ahead?

Author
Discussion

gt6

1,351 posts

143 months

Sunday 1st March
quotequote all
Qatar moto gp now called off, so the panic continues

ferrus

38 posts

20 months

Sunday 1st March
quotequote all
Have a few trips planned this year - all insured.
I've spent the evening looking through the travel advice and policy documents, and there doesn't appear to be anything definitive.
Some pages say you'll be covered if it's an FCO recommendation, some say travel insurance is unlikely to cover it.

In the case of Le Mans, I'm not sure if any or all travel/accommodation would be covered, if a single event is cancelled - but there's no FCO recommendation not to travel.

Not feeling overly confident about this one going ahead. It's a huge multinational event, and the French are already cancelling events with just 130 reported cases.

delta0

1,308 posts

64 months

Sunday 1st March
quotequote all
ferrus said:
Have a few trips planned this year - all insured.
I've spent the evening looking through the travel advice and policy documents, and there doesn't appear to be anything definitive.
Some pages say you'll be covered if it's an FCO recommendation, some say travel insurance is unlikely to cover it.

In the case of Le Mans, I'm not sure if any or all travel/accommodation would be covered, if a single event is cancelled - but there's no FCO recommendation not to travel.

Not feeling overly confident about this one going ahead. It's a huge multinational event, and the French are already cancelling events with just 130 reported cases.
I expect that when temperatures rise this thing will be gone like the majority of flu.

bad company

12,877 posts

224 months

Sunday 1st March
quotequote all
delta0 said:
I expect that when temperatures rise this thing will be gone like the majority of flu.
I’ve heard that theory but if it’s right why is the virus spreading in hot countries such as Singapore?

delta0

1,308 posts

64 months

Monday 2nd March
quotequote all
bad company said:
I’ve heard that theory but if it’s right why is the virus spreading in hot countries such as Singapore?
It is a travel hub for Asia and so it makes it susceptible but it is barely spreading at all within Singapore. The temperature will be reducing the time it can survive outside of the body before someone else is infected.

FredericRobinson

2,207 posts

190 months

Monday 2nd March
quotequote all
Trouble is the temp won't have risen to very hot for very long by early May when they'll have to make the decision

lowdrag

10,826 posts

171 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I've posted this at the foot of the 1st Tickets post, but the first case of the coronavirus at Le Mans is announced in this morning's paper.

LawrieC

248 posts

62 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
There must be a chance that the race will be postponed. This happened in 1968, when it was held at the end of September due to major political protests (riots). Dam good race that, but it means 12 hours of darkness rather than 6.

It seems that either this disease will be contained, or you allow 6 months for it to spread everywhere, or they find a cure, so it should be over by September



Edited by LawrieC on Tuesday 3rd March 12:03

Kev_Mk3

1,900 posts

53 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Even if the race isn't on I will still head to France and go camping as its a nice break

LM24Nut

694 posts

20 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Some of us from the Le Mans crew are off to Sebring on the 17th...do wish us luck...lolz

ferrus

38 posts

20 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Kev_Mk3 said:
Even if the race isn't on I will still head to France and go camping as its a nice break
Heard a couple of people saying that. I'm very tempted myself.
Le Mans looks like a great town for a break, on a non race week - and there's a hundred other places around France I'd like to visit.

It's a tough sell at home though ....

"Sorry luv, but even though that big race event that I go away for every year got cancelled - I'm still going to go and risk catching a dose anyway, just for a nice jolly in France without you, for a week."

redcardshootheadache


Printertosh

542 posts

126 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ferrus said:
Heard a couple of people saying that. I'm very tempted myself.
Le Mans looks like a great town for a break, on a non race week - and there's a hundred other places around France I'd like to visit.

It's a tough sell at home though ....

"Sorry luv, but even though that big race event that I go away for every year got cancelled - I'm still going to go and risk catching a dose anyway, just for a nice jolly in France without you, for a week."

redcardshootheadache
byebyerofl

lowdrag

10,826 posts

171 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The number of cases here at le Mans has now risen to three. The more important one is a member of the pro basketball team who is now in isolation.

Kev_Mk3

1,900 posts

53 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ferrus said:
Kev_Mk3 said:
Even if the race isn't on I will still head to France and go camping as its a nice break
Heard a couple of people saying that. I'm very tempted myself.
Le Mans looks like a great town for a break, on a non race week - and there's a hundred other places around France I'd like to visit.

It's a tough sell at home though ....

"Sorry luv, but even though that big race event that I go away for every year got cancelled - I'm still going to go and risk catching a dose anyway, just for a nice jolly in France without you, for a week."

redcardshootheadache
I've a way around this - The wife comes with me as she loves it. The other trump card is we have just sold out house just south of Le Mans in December so we are going to visit friends anyway so regardless of the race we will be going.

Even with kids we would still go as La Fleche Zoo is fantastic and loads of things to do in the area. When are little one is old enough we will go with them.

RL17

876 posts

51 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Any news on 24H Motos - just over 6 weeks away and 75,000 or so attendance?

lowdrag

10,826 posts

171 months

Tuesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The ACO stated at the end of the last week that they are reliant on the medical sercices and the political decisions and will await to be told what to do. We have the Superbikes in about six weeks, the GP Moto in about 10 weeks,then Le Man and then the Classic. No one can say exactly what is going to happen. The programme includes the French Superbike championship on the 28/29 March, 30/31 March testing for the 24 Bike race, 16th April 24 Hour bike race, with normally 50,000 here, 15/16/17 May the GP Moto, about 80,000, but every day there is something, from F3 driver training to track days. It is a logistical nightmare.

LawrieC

248 posts

62 months

Wednesday 4th March
quotequote all
If they've delayed the new James Bond film by 7 months, we're in deep sh!t

Seriously, there are now cases all over the country.

Edited by LawrieC on Wednesday 4th March 19:32

delta0

1,308 posts

64 months

Wednesday 4th March
quotequote all
Cases in Asia have fallen hugely the last couple of days.

LM240

3,376 posts

176 months

Wednesday 4th March
quotequote all
LawrieC said:
If they've delayed the new James Bond film by 7 months, we're in deep sh!t

Seriously, there are now cases all over the country.

Edited by LawrieC on Wednesday 4th March 19:32
Still talking small numbers and trying not to get sucked into the media frenzy of apocalyptic doom.

Are your priorities wrong when all you’re worried about is LM2020 taking place!!!!!

I’m still going with ‘this will blow over... today’s news, tomorrows fish n chip papers’

eps

5,241 posts

227 months

Wednesday 4th March
quotequote all
LM240 said:
LawrieC said:
If they've delayed the new James Bond film by 7 months, we're in deep sh!t

Seriously, there are now cases all over the country.

Edited by LawrieC on Wednesday 4th March 19:32
Still talking small numbers and trying not to get sucked into the media frenzy of apocalyptic doom.

Are your priorities wrong when all you’re worried about is LM2020 taking place!!!!!

I’m still going with ‘this will blow over... today’s news, tomorrows fish n chip papers’
Yep, whilst it is highly contagious it 'only' seems to have affected a small number of the population. Ideally we need to see a slowdown in the number of cases raised and for it to follow a downward trend.