Drivers Parade and St Saturnin cancelled

Drivers Parade and St Saturnin cancelled

Author
Discussion

chasingracecars

1,666 posts

52 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Anyone got some GA’s for sale!!
Tuesday
quotequote all
Vette_1978 said:
The 88th 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on 19–20 September, with a smaller crowd than usual. Entry will be granted to all racegoers who have already booked their tickets (until June 29). Ticket sales have been suspended until further notice, pending government announcements and according to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic. In the current circumstances, the 24 Hours of Le Mans will be using its global reach to emphasise the need for solidarity and responsibility, two watchwords that epitomise the values of endurance racing and the team spirit that has reigned over Le Mans since 1923.
https://www.lemans.org/en/news/watchwords-for-this-year-s-24-hours-of-le-mans-solidarity-and-responsibility/53979

FredericRobinson

2,058 posts

187 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
chasingracecars said:
Anyone got some GA’s for sale!!
Might well have, I'm sure there'll be plenty going about

ewand

632 posts

169 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
Vette_1978 said:
The 88th 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on 19–20 September, with a smaller crowd than usual. Entry will be granted to all racegoers who have already booked their tickets (until June 29). Ticket sales have been suspended until further notice, pending government announcements and according to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic. In the current circumstances, the 24 Hours of Le Mans will be using its global reach to emphasise the need for solidarity and responsibility, two watchwords that epitomise the values of endurance racing and the team spirit that has reigned over Le Mans since 1923.
https://www.lemans.org/en/news/watchwords-for-this-year-s-24-hours-of-le-mans-solidarity-and-responsibility/53979
ACO Waffle said:
Ticket sales have been suspended until further notice, pending government announcements and according to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic
Optimists would read that as suggesting that government announcements will allow ticket sales to resume. Pessimists may presume that it means the government may well forbid the event to happen with spectators present.

I think this is still the ACO kicking the can down the road, maybe expecting the government to prevent them from having a mass gathering. By delaying, they don't need to fart about with refunds yet, and they might get some insurance payout if they are forced to ban attendance through govt mandate. It feels like the race is definitely happening whatever, but I think it's very much in the air if people will be allowed to spectate in person.


wsn03

1,259 posts

56 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ewand said:
Powerfully Built PSC Director - Outside IR35 said:
Vette_1978 said:
The 88th 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on 19–20 September, with a smaller crowd than usual. Entry will be granted to all racegoers who have already booked their tickets (until June 29). Ticket sales have been suspended until further notice, pending government announcements and according to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic. In the current circumstances, the 24 Hours of Le Mans will be using its global reach to emphasise the need for solidarity and responsibility, two watchwords that epitomise the values of endurance racing and the team spirit that has reigned over Le Mans since 1923.
https://www.lemans.org/en/news/watchwords-for-this-year-s-24-hours-of-le-mans-solidarity-and-responsibility/53979
ACO Waffle said:
Ticket sales have been suspended until further notice, pending government announcements and according to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic
Optimists would read that as suggesting that government announcements will allow ticket sales to resume. Pessimists may presume that it means the government may well forbid the event to happen with spectators present.

I think this is still the ACO kicking the can down the road, maybe expecting the government to prevent them from having a mass gathering. By delaying, they don't need to fart about with refunds yet, and they might get some insurance payout if they are forced to ban attendance through govt mandate. It feels like the race is definitely happening whatever, but I think it's very much in the air if people will be allowed to spectate in person.
I think that's a very good assessment- so much can change between now and then.

France may be ok but will they want visitors and fans coming in from other countries spreading the virus for a car race? At the moment, looking at the dire warnings from WHO I can't see it, but hope things improve. I will see 1 week before hand before I book anything

lowdrag

Original Poster:

10,460 posts

168 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ewand said:
I think this is still the ACO kicking the can down the road, maybe expecting the government to prevent them from having a mass gathering. By delaying, they don't need to fart about with refunds yet, and they might get some insurance payout if they are forced to ban attendance through govt mandate. It feels like the race is definitely happening whatever, but I think it's very much in the air if people will be allowed to spectate in person.
I really don't think one can say more than that. How many tickets have been sold already? I'd probably reckon a lot less than last year but probably about, say, 40,000 at least? That's just a stab in the dark, and I'm pretty certain that I won't find any kicking around here at Le Mans. Only the ACO members used to buy early to get stand places. But 1st Tickets, Langoustine, et al must have sold a bunch.

davidd

6,066 posts

239 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
I really don't think one can say more than that. How many tickets have been sold already? I'd probably reckon a lot less than last year but probably about, say, 40,000 at least? That's just a stab in the dark, and I'm pretty certain that I won't find any kicking around here at Le Mans. Only the ACO members used to buy early to get stand places. But 1st Tickets, Langoustine, et al must have sold a bunch.
Dailysportscar thought about 50,000. I wonder if it is still possible to join the aco and get a ticket that way.

chasingracecars

1,666 posts

52 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Nope joining the ACO doesn’t open up ticketing

LawrieC

187 posts

59 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
chasingracecars said:
Nope joining the ACO doesn’t open up ticketing
True, we gave up with them years ago.

As for the event spectators, its still anybody's guess. They need to increase the 5,000 (locals?) event limit, and they probably will, but not to 100,000plus of people from all over the country, with drunken foreigners. Somebody will bring the virus and thousands go home with it.

Its still a long time to go, and we'll have a vaccine approved by mid August

wsn03

1,259 posts

56 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
LawrieC said:
we'll have a vaccine approved by mid August
I wonder if that will make everyone far more adventurous in terms of risk taking with events/ crowds etc?
Tuesday
quotequote all
LawrieC said:
True, we gave up with them years ago.

As for the event spectators, its still anybody's guess. They need to increase the 5,000 (locals?) event limit, and they probably will, but not to 100,000plus of people from all over the country, with drunken foreigners. Somebody will bring the virus and thousands go home with it.

Its still a long time to go, and we'll have a vaccine approved by mid August
The Tour de France will be the early indicator of what’s in store for us. Scheduled to go ahead end of August and lasts till the Sunday of the LM 24. That’s gonna be over 10 million spectators and mostly in public places.

//j17

3,462 posts

178 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
chasingracecars said:
Nope joining the ACO doesn’t open up ticketing
Even for existing ACO members I noticed there was a little star in play - "Only ACO members* and anyone who already holds a ticket for the race will be admitted to the circuit as a spectator.". That little star being "*within the limit of available seats", so just being a member (who hasn't booked any tickets yet) isn't a guarantee of a ticket.

lowdrag

Original Poster:

10,460 posts

168 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
//j17 said:
Even for existing ACO members I noticed there was a little star in play - "Only ACO members* and anyone who already holds a ticket for the race will be admitted to the circuit as a spectator.". That little star being "*within the limit of available seats", so just being a member (who hasn't booked any tickets yet) isn't a guarantee of a ticket.
As I've posted in the other thread, it was clearly stated in this morning's paper that all and any ACO members - apparently 23,000 of them - have the right to buy two tickets if they haven't already done so.

ewand

632 posts

169 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
As I've posted in the other thread, it was clearly stated in this morning's paper that all and any ACO members - apparently 23,000 of them - have the right to buy two tickets if they haven't already done so.
Dear ACO Members

Please all buy 2 tickets right now, don't delay.

So that when the spectators are banned in 2 weeks' time, we can hold onto your money until next year or issue you a refund in October...

love n hugs

The ACO

lowdrag

Original Poster:

10,460 posts

168 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
Tickets bought after 29/6 have no refund option. Only a credit for next year.

LM240

3,257 posts

173 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
Tickets bought after 29/6 have no refund option. Only a credit for next year.
If it doesn’t happen, I’d be more than happy for the whole ticket order to sit there and carry over to next year (if back to normal).

2nd waves (if indeed the first as actually eased sufficiently) etc, we could be in the same boat again next June.

Save the booking scramble next time around.

Edited by LM240 on Wednesday 1st July 20:57