The 2020 Le Mans 24hrs Watching from Home Thread

The 2020 Le Mans 24hrs Watching from Home Thread

Author
Discussion

Welshbeef

42,872 posts

159 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
No, they'll be pegged back, bit Alpine doing it gives the ACO a problem, they won't be pegging them back too much, a privateer and they'd give them no chance
Any chance another privateer will buy more LMP1 or hybrid cars?

MG CHRIS

7,406 posts

128 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
MG CHRIS said:
Lmp1 cars are allowed for next year.
With the same power?
If they are Hypercars will not be the fastest
The hyper cars will be quicker than the 3.30 target lap time I suspect they be at or around the 3.20 specially Toyota. The current non hybrid lmp1 will be around that lap time. Alpine rebellion bykolles and maybe ginetta could run with the lmp1 non hybrid alongside atm Toyota and glickenous in hyper car for 2021 that what looks to be a possibility. But we could even see some teams from America with the rule merge.

Anything to bring more teams to the top class is well needed hope gt3 replaces gte am tbh we really need more variety in the gts over just 3 manufactures.




mw88

143 posts

72 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Really missed the sound of the Corvettes this year.

Hoping the new hyper car rules next year bring some decent competition back at the top, and Peugeot returning for 2022. LMP1 has been struggling for years, but only 5 cars this year is sad.

RL17

877 posts

54 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Great race. GTE Pro through night and LMP2 the whole race great racing.

Loads of TV coverage for Rebellion when Menezes pushing - so did chuckle when they left rookie for last stint.

Pleased I had free ACO app (would pay as well) as commentary much better (and needed timing pages for Pro and LMP2 to follow properly) and Eurosport adverts were timed to coincide with pit stops in GTE Pro for first few hours. Plus could also go to WEC app when europsort shrunk picture every five minutes to show a large picture of a driver in a mask or 10 minutes of the same reply. Did listen to a few drivers though.

Radio LM good for non-race periods but there's only so much accents and sponsored weather or updates you can take.


MiniMan64

13,254 posts

151 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
mw88 said:
Really missed the sound of the Corvettes this year.

Hoping the new hyper car rules next year bring some decent competition back at the top, and Peugeot returning for 2022. LMP1 has been struggling for years, but only 5 cars this year is sad.
There’s been plenty of tiny LMP1 fields in the last 10 years hasn’t there?

S1KRR

12,548 posts

173 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
mw88 said:
Really missed the sound of the Corvettes this year.

Hoping the new hyper car rules next year bring some decent competition back at the top, and Peugeot returning for 2022. LMP1 has been struggling for years, but only 5 cars this year is sad.
Probably missed the answer to this

Where were Corvette?
Where were Ford?

Why does McLaren never have a presence at Le Mans?

Ditto Lambo or Mercedes AMG as per Blancpain series? confused


Will any of these brands be returning next year?
Wil they be in GTPro/Am or in the new "Hypercar" class.

Which judging from the demo run



Doesn't appear to have any connection to road cars at all



Edited by S1KRR on Sunday 20th September 19:07

ajprice

19,478 posts

157 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Corvette didn't travel from America to Le Mans because Covid. Commentary mentioned it lastnight.

FredericRobinson

2,258 posts

193 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Corvette didn't travel because of covid
Ford have finished the GT programme
McLaren and Lambo and the others can make money from selling GT3s to customers rather than spending money on GTE programmes
Mercedes have too much history with 1955 and 1999
Those committed to programmes next year or the year after are Toyota (that demo wasn't the hypercar they'll bring), Peugeot, Kolles, Glickenhaus and Alpine, more are expected when LMdH starts a year later.
Hyper car isn't road cars, but will have more road car styling than current prototypes.
GTE is finished, no new manufactures will join now, expectation is that some form of GT3 will replace it in the next few years

Genuine Barn Find

5,398 posts

176 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
Corvette didn't travel because of covid
Ford have finished the GT programme
McLaren and Lambo and the others can make money from selling GT3s to customers rather than spending money on GTE programmes
Mercedes have too much history with 1955 and 1999
Those committed to programmes next year or the year after are Toyota (that demo wasn't the hypercar they'll bring), Peugeot, Kolles, Glickenhaus and Alpine, more are expected when LMdH starts a year later.
Hyper car isn't road cars, but will have more road car styling than current prototypes.
GTE is finished, no new manufactures will join now, expectation is that some form of GT3 will replace it in the next few years
I still hold out hope for a field full of works and privately entered GT3 cars covering a wide range of manufacturers.

Welshbeef

42,872 posts

159 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Genuine Barn Find said:
I still hold out hope for a field full of works and privately entered GT3 cars covering a wide range of manufacturers.
We need the virus gone and people buying these lovely cars else forget about manufacturers being able to turn up/justify racing.

VW is offloading Bugatti to Remac already

mw88

143 posts

72 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
No BMW in GTE this year either.

Still remember some of the images on Twitter of the M8 from last year laugh - It was only a few inches taller than the GT40, but looked huge



MiniMan64 said:
There’s been plenty of tiny LMP1 fields in the last 10 years hasn’t there?
Don't think there's been one this small - Most of the manufacturers were running 3 cars a few years ago, so it probably seemed bigger

mstrbkr

8,075 posts

159 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
mw88 said:
No BMW in GTE this year either.

Still remember some of the images on Twitter of the M8 from last year laugh - It was only a few inches taller than the GT40, but looked huge



MiniMan64 said:
There’s been plenty of tiny LMP1 fields in the last 10 years hasn’t there?
Don't think there's been one this small - Most of the manufacturers were running 3 cars a few years ago, so it probably seemed bigger
Come on, that’s got to he one of the many photoshops hasn’t it? hehe

Genuine Barn Find

5,398 posts

176 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
A little bit of photo shoppery there.

BMW need to be at Le Mans, but that car was a bit of a dog and i fear they will be not be back for a long time..... if at all.

mw88

143 posts

72 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
mstrbkr said:
Come on, that’s got to he one of the many photoshops hasn’t it? hehe
Yup! This is the original one laugh



Genuine Barn Find

5,398 posts

176 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
S1KRR said:
Probably missed the answer to this

Where were Corvette?
Where were Ford?

Why does McLaren never have a presence at Le Mans?

Ditto Lambo or Mercedes AMG as per Blancpain series? confused


Will any of these brands be returning next year?
Wil they be in GTPro/Am or in the new "Hypercar" class.

Which judging from the demo run



Doesn't appear to have any connection to road cars at all



Edited by S1KRR on Sunday 20th September 19:07
Ford were towards the end of the program, but i definitely think their decision to pull out was down to the BOP. The Ford was, and still is, a very quick car and, had it no been hindered with extra weight, i’m sure it would have likely won another Pro class at Le Mans. I understand BOP, but still can’t fathom how it’s a positive for racing..... Aston were nobbled last year and the works porsche’s were destroyed this year with 50kg weight penalty’s. How adding 50kg of weight to the pole sitting car can be a good thing is beyond me. They went backwards at an alarming rate

The Brummie

8,639 posts

148 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Well, albeit late in the day, I thoroughly enjoyed this years race.

Some great battles, especially yesterday afternoon/early evening. Plenty of overtaking, some spirited racing & that Toyota is just an amazing car.

I missed the Covettes, the Ford GT’s & even that pug ugly BMW M8 however the Ferraris were immense & Porsche were, well, crap!!!!

Granted the Eurosport coverage was a tad annoying with the adverts but hell full 24 hour coverage doesn’t come cheap.

Seemed really odd last night with no funfairs, no bbq’s etc but at least the race was run & was won fairly.

Next year will be an interesting transition. Let’s just hope that crowd are allowed back in.


//j17

3,613 posts

184 months

Monday 21st September 2020
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
FredericRobinson said:
No, they'll be pegged back, bit Alpine doing it gives the ACO a problem, they won't be pegging them back too much, a privateer and they'd give them no chance
Any chance another privateer will buy more LMP1 or hybrid cars?
I don't really think so. Of the LMP1 chassis for sale the best two have already been sold to Alpine. I can't see anyone really wanting to buy the Bykolles and, considering the ACO won't really want a grandfathered LMP1 winning on pace, the Ginetta's never got the development they needed to be worth buying for one, maybe two seasons.

And on the hypercar front I think we'll see privateer's keep their powder dry in '21, though we may see some come in from '22 or '23. I'm not even convinced there though - Toyota haven't shown any interest in selling TS050s to privateers and I think it was a couple of years before Pug. let Henri have one, and then only really because he was Henri Pescarolo. Outside the two chassis with a real prospect of winning you have Glickenhaus with no real track record or Bykolles who have a track record...just not one of success.

I fear we'll see something similar with the new LMP2 chassis - a few teams gambling on different chassis but most running grandfathered current-generation cars till they see which is best, then back to grids full of chassis X.

Monsterlime

915 posts

127 months

Monday 21st September 2020
quotequote all
I saw (and enjoyed) a good chunk of the race, but are there some decent highlights available? Tried the official ones, and for the whole race they are 10 minutes and rubbish.

Genuine Barn Find

5,398 posts

176 months

Monday 21st September 2020
quotequote all
There will usually be something on Eurosport within a few days.

sleepezy

1,097 posts

195 months

Monday 21st September 2020
quotequote all
Really enjoyed the race, as always - bit more practiced than some at watching from afar as I've always watched with my father who hasn't been able to make the trip there for a few years now - we do ensure we maintain several of the traditions including the ubiquitous 1664 (only time a year I drink it) and a steak-frites lunch.

Must say, being able to watch several hours on a big screen outside as the sun went down brought back some strong and nostalgic memories of sitting in Maison Blanche for several years supping warm lager soaking up the atmosphere listening to the deafening exhaust roar of engines of various guises being fired in our direction as the perpetrator disappears up the start finish straight.