2021 - Don't get too excited

2021 - Don't get too excited

Author
Discussion

wsn03

1,574 posts

65 months

Sunday 21st February
quotequote all
The Leaper said:
IoM would be better!

R.
Let me see...s41t weather, f all accommodation, hideously expensive ferries (and not enough of them to go round) and a choice of food to rival any 1970s motorway service station.

I need to think on this one...scratchchin

cn7k7

73 posts

108 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
My thoughts are, given today’s announcements and how far France is behind us, our only chance of a decent crowd attended event is a September date now

Midlifecrisis4

10 posts

24 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
cn7k7 said:
My thoughts are, given today’s announcements and how far France is behind us, our only chance of a decent crowd attended event is a September date now
I had a feeling that this will be the case and again with no spectators either judging by the way the French have started their vaccination at the pace of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping!


Edited by Midlifecrisis4 on Monday 22 February 17:51


Edited by Midlifecrisis4 on Wednesday 24th February 10:37

Truckosaurus

8,206 posts

248 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
When is the French football season due to start? If it is August like the English Premiership then I would wager that's the latest date that they'll allow full scale events to take place, if not before.

I would not be surprised if other countries follow the UK in opening up fully by July, with proof of vacination for international travel - they'd want some tourism income over the summer and rates should drop down in the good weather like last summer.

An August LM would be most agreeable.

df76

3,014 posts

242 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Truckosaurus said:
When is the French football season due to start? If it is August like the English Premiership then I would wager that's the latest date that they'll allow full scale events to take place, if not before.

I would not be surprised if other countries follow the UK in opening up fully by July, with proof of vacination for international travel - they'd want some tourism income over the summer and rates should drop down in the good weather like last summer.

An August LM would be most agreeable.
In August?? In France??

ecsrobin

12,647 posts

129 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
France are quite far behind compared to much of Europe I’m thinking a September behind closed doors again.

cn7k7

73 posts

108 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Circuit de remparts is looking attractive, always falls in September anyway

rev-erend

20,871 posts

248 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
The ACO website says the 24hr race is still on in June



https://www.24h-lemans.com/en

silverspeed

1,496 posts

194 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
rev-erend said:
The ACO website says the 24hr race is still on in June



https://www.24h-lemans.com/en
Don’t want to dampen the mood but not sure it can based on this statement from the authorities last week

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210219-france...

rev-erend

20,871 posts

248 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
So, looks like they may limit numbers to 5000 people. At least the event might go ahead in June.

silverspeed

1,496 posts

194 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
rev-erend said:
So, looks like they may limit numbers to 5000 people. At least the event might go ahead in June.
Interesting if they do go ahead with 5k people when they normally have 250k people ! Can’t see the trade stands turning up or much being open . Hotel rooms will be cheap though if you are lucky to get a ticket .

rev-erend

20,871 posts

248 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
It's highly unlikely anyone other than local people will be able to attend. France is not vaccinating very quickly
it probably wont want a super spreader even like this to go ahead.

Edited by rev-erend on Tuesday 23 February 16:02

LawrieC

292 posts

68 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
France are quite far behind compared to much of Europe I’m thinking a September behind closed doors again.
They're managing about a million a month, so that's a fair bet. I was planning a month in France in September anyway, so it looks like that's off.

Vette_1978

3,111 posts

186 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
I can't remember what the plans were for last year before it got cancelled. Something like 5000 per village, this included parking areas, but did it include camping? I think each dedicated area had food stands and toilets, but that was it.

So if they go for the 5000 per event, and the ACO get this as per village, I think they had 5 or 6 villages, you're looking at about 25-30k ticket holders. They could wait to Sep seeing as it ran ok last year and see if they can have more fans, but they could be in the same position.

I wouldn't be surprised if they say in April they are aiming for Villages, no camping, no movement, same plans as last year, see how that works. The whole sporting lifestyle has changed since a year ago, people are expecting events and calendars to run as expected. F1 manages this by cutting out long hauls, football and rugby are managing, cricket is managing. I just hope the FIA have a word and try to get this run in June - and of course that we are eligible to travel which looks promising.

Tyre Smoke

17,071 posts

225 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Yet in September they had loads of crowded camping at the track end of Houx for the marshals and officials, etc. Same down at Mulsanne and Arnage.

They were also planning camping for the villages before they scrapped the whole idea.

//j17

3,679 posts

187 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Vette_1978 said:
I can't remember what the plans were for last year before it got cancelled. Something like 5000 per village, this included parking areas, but did it include camping? I think each dedicated area had food stands and toilets, but that was it.
From memory most villages were tied to campsites, with one or two tied to car parks. I think MB/Bleu Sud campsites were in one village, with spectating in MB. Bleu Nord camping then had a spectating area from the Ford Chicane to part way up the main straight. Then outside the rest of the main straight to the main entrance was a car park village/inside the circuit to Dunlop bridge another car park village. Then Tetre Rouge camping had a village on the outside and I'd guess Houx/Houx Annex one on the inside.

Truckosaurus

8,206 posts

248 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
I believe the Villages plan was knocked on the head by the authorities for not being in the spirit of the regulations, so I don't think that would be their loophole for a June running.

Vette_1978

3,111 posts

186 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Truckosaurus said:
for not being in the spirit of the regulations
Do you mean the COVID regulations of 5000 per event? It is a bit sneaky, but also the should be able to argue about the fact this is over such a large area it has some degree of flexibility. I presumed that all the marshalls, media and crews were tested regularly but it would mean keeping them away from coughing super spreaders which would make the paddock out of bounds.

//j17

3,679 posts

187 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Vette_1978 said:
Do you mean the COVID regulations of 5000 per event? It is a bit sneaky, but also the should be able to argue about the fact this is over such a large area it has some degree of flexibility.
The counter argument being Le Mans = 1 event = 5,000 people = 5,000 extra people in Le Mans/on the tram/in the supermarkets/etc. Le Mans = 8 events in basically the same place = 40,000 people = 40,000 extra people in Le Mans/on the tram/in the supermarkets/etc.

wsn03

1,574 posts

65 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
We're resigned to the fact that France will still be a bit of mess this year, and that we'd rather not go until it is past this point.
The argument my mate used was that we can stay in a town in England in a house like we did last year, enjoy meals out etc completely as per normal in a far better way than we could if we went to Le Mans, because England by then will be in near normality, France will not.

As he said, its a hell of a long way to drive for something not as good as what we have at home. I can't really argue with that.

So we'll defer unless something drastic happens. We don't need the stadium, but my mate does enjoy the atmosphere of surrounding areas etc, and doesn't see it being an enjoyable experience.

Covid hasn't been a bad year, its going to be a bad 2 years - but such is life.

So for us Le Mans 2021 is going to be a house by the sea with a big screen, followed by a mass trip in 2022 with about 20 people - after 3 years away it will be very strange indeed.