2021 - Don't get too excited

2021 - Don't get too excited

Author
Discussion

cn7k7

79 posts

109 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
It's hard getting a grip on daily statistics because they seem to bunch a few days together which distorts things, but looking at this month there are, as of yesterday, 400,000 more active cases than at the end of March - 4.2 million on 31/3 and 4.6 million yesterday. Not looking at all healthy.
From what I can see the vaccination take up rate is around 56% and hence the ‘good news’ of jabs for 55+ now, trouble is the rate needs to be at least 60% to be nationally effective. The prediction, even at this low take up rate, appears to be August to November for those 30+. In Switzerland it is worse, most people won’t get vaccinated until 2022. I hate the terminology in this case but at present the UK seems to have lost the battle but winning the war, just hope EU catches up soon or new variants will develop and come bouncing back over here for a new battle and drag mainland Europe further into the crap

Troubling times

eps

5,475 posts

234 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
It's hard getting a grip on daily statistics because they seem to bunch a few days together which distorts things, but looking at this month there are, as of yesterday, 400,000 more active cases than at the end of March - 4.2 million on 31/3 and 4.6 million yesterday. Not looking at all healthy.
Personally I only look at the 7 day rolling average, which should smooth out any inconsistencies and provide an indication of the trend.

Can't see it happening this year (with fans) frown

LawrieC

301 posts

69 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
At the UKs peak in Jan/Feb we only had 2-3 million cases, and whilst lockdown is brutal, with the vaccine we're now down to 2-300,000, but my wife still won't go out of the house.

The next problem seems to be that many bars and restaurants may not reopen next month. Trade from office workers and tourists etc has disappeared. My local pubs were all shut before the virus happened

wsn03

1,585 posts

66 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Well its not all bad according to France 24

"French nationals and residents 55 and above will have access to the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines starting Monday...."

AND

"France's vaccine rollout is hitting its stride after a glacial start, reaching a target of 10 million first doses a week ahead of a mid-April target. The government aims to deliver another 10 million first shots by mid-May....."


So they are using Astra Zenica despite the politics, and they are speeding up the rollout.
My eyes and hopes rest on a return to normal 2022 - at the current rate looks a bit iffy, but hopefully they'll get their act together. Hope the whole of Europe gets this current mess sorted

delta0

1,358 posts

71 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
wsn03 said:
Well its not all bad according to France 24

"French nationals and residents 55 and above will have access to the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines starting Monday...."

AND

"France's vaccine rollout is hitting its stride after a glacial start, reaching a target of 10 million first doses a week ahead of a mid-April target. The government aims to deliver another 10 million first shots by mid-May....."


So they are using Astra Zenica despite the politics, and they are speeding up the rollout.
My eyes and hopes rest on a return to normal 2022 - at the current rate looks a bit iffy, but hopefully they'll get their act together. Hope the whole of Europe gets this current mess sorted
Either no one is taking the vaccines in France or the government is just moving through the age groups without doing all the ones before. They have only vaccinated 16% of the population which means there are a lot of older and vulnerable groups that are higher priority than 55 year olds that have not had a vaccine.

rev-erend

20,967 posts

249 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
My mum is 72, lives in the Vendee and has been invited to call a number for the jab..

Got passed around a lot. Hung on for an hour and gave up..

wsn03

1,585 posts

66 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
I'll get me coat...

slartibartfast

3,899 posts

166 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
I hope the ACO tell us this month whether spectators are allowed or not, the suspense is killitng me!

ewand

678 posts

179 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
slartibartfast said:
I hope the ACO tell us this month whether spectators are allowed or not, the suspense is killitng me!
I wouldn't hold your breath, unless they come out earlier with "non".

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/a-packed-24-hou...
ACO said:
In the current climate, the ACO is setting out to host a safe event, with all necessary precautions in place to produce top-notch racing. More details on the schedule, ticketing and spectator access will be released in May.

ecsrobin

12,806 posts

130 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
slartibartfast said:
I hope the ACO tell us this month whether spectators are allowed or not, the suspense is killitng me!
I think the answers pretty clear.

Genuine Barn Find

5,453 posts

180 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
It is what it is (and what it will be). I was gutted that we didn’t get to go last year..... if it’s a double roll over i’ll be beside myself.

‘But’..... i did enjoy watching the race live on Eurosport last year..... as did my 3 year old. Assuming it’s not going to be open to spectators, my positive aim is to be sat on the sofa in front of the TV, just as the sun sets over the circuit, beer in hand and two car obsessed little boys sat either side of me, excited that they’ve been allowed to stay up and watch fast cars with Daddy.

There’s always next year - and 2022 should be an absolute belter.

df76

3,055 posts

243 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
Genuine Barn Find said:
It is what it is (and what it will be). I was gutted that we didn’t get to go last year..... if it’s a double roll over i’ll be beside myself.

‘But’..... i did enjoy watching the race live on Eurosport last year..... as did my 3 year old. Assuming it’s not going to be open to spectators, my positive aim is to be sat on the sofa in front of the TV, just as the sun sets over the circuit, beer in hand and two car obsessed little boys sat either side of me, excited that they’ve been allowed to stay up and watch fast cars with Daddy.

There’s always next year - and 2022 should be an absolute belter.
The saviour is that the TV coverage is excellent / ad free, plus decent radio commentary. 2022 will be busy, and 2023 will be total madness.

rev-erend

20,967 posts

249 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
rev-erend said:
My mum is 72, lives in the Vendee and has been invited to call a number for the jab..

Got passed around a lot. Hung on for an hour and gave up..
Update on this - she now has a date for these .. 18th and 20th May with the Phizer jab.

Gives a bit of an idea how far France is behind the UK.


LawrieC

301 posts

69 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
This does seem a muddle. I've got nothing against your mum, but shouldn't she have the cheaper AZ vaccine as she's over 55 (but I'm sure she doesn't look it). Perhaps they have shedloads of Pfizer now. The J&J vaccine seems to have been suspended, due to clots, even though you've a better chance of being run over on the way to get the jab

lowdrag

11,402 posts

178 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
Rather off topic, but did you see on the news this morning that with the Olympics supposedly 14 weeks away that less than 1% of the population of Japan has been vaccinated?

Pupp

10,626 posts

237 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
lowdrag said:
Rather off topic, but did you see on the news this morning that with the Olympics supposedly 14 weeks away that less than 1% of the population of Japan has been vaccinated?
Yep; picked up on that, and that the general population seem to be against the games being held. Going to be odd for those participating; what a bitter sweet conclusion to all that training and dedication.

Vette_1978

3,113 posts

187 months

Wednesday 14th April
quotequote all
df76 said:
The saviour is that the TV coverage is excellent / ad free, plus decent radio commentary. 2022 will be busy, and 2023 will be total madness.
Just on that subject. Did they announce that the tv coverage is now being done by L’Equipe, or something like that, so it’s on free to air tv. Does this mean Eurosport are no longer carriers, or is this just a French thing?

df76

3,055 posts

243 months

Thursday 15th April
quotequote all
Vette_1978 said:
df76 said:
The saviour is that the TV coverage is excellent / ad free, plus decent radio commentary. 2022 will be busy, and 2023 will be total madness.
Just on that subject. Did they announce that the tv coverage is now being done by L’Equipe, or something like that, so it’s on free to air tv. Does this mean Eurosport are no longer carriers, or is this just a French thing?
I'm pretty certain that'll just be a French thing, with Eurosport still providing UK coverage. You can get Eurosport just for a month if wanted..

rev-erend

20,967 posts

249 months

Thursday 15th April
quotequote all
LawrieC said:
This does seem a muddle. I've got nothing against your mum, but shouldn't she have the cheaper AZ vaccine as she's over 55 (but I'm sure she doesn't look it). Perhaps they have shedloads of Pfizer now. The J&J vaccine seems to have been suspended, due to clots, even though you've a better chance of being run over on the way to get the jab
I'm sure its like the UK. You don't get a choice.

lowdrag

11,402 posts

178 months

Thursday 15th April
quotequote all
Have you seen that Peter Auto are running an event on the Bugatti circuit on the first weekend in July now? Seems incredible that they are committing themselves to this in ten weeks time.