F90 M5 or DB11? Used purchase quandary...

F90 M5 or DB11? Used purchase quandary...

Author
Discussion

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
EC2 said:
I went to try a Rapide once as a plan to fold two cars into one. Loved it other than the distance between the bottom of the B pillar and the back of the sill made it really hard to get my feet through the back doors. Fine once you are in but the family would have moaned too much for it to be a runner IMHO.
I did look at those. I find them charming but pretty long in the tooth now. I would like some tech at least...!

EC2

1,093 posts

217 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
EC2 said:
Depends if you want finance on an M5 as the new cars have very low rate APR PCP finance so they might end up cheaper over a few years than a nearly new one on a bigger APR. Obviously if you are paying cash then go for value.
Agreed, but you still need to take in to account the additional £10k-£20k early depreciation on a new discounted car compared to a nearly new one, when considering the finance costs. That’s a lot of interest over a few years. Plus there are still some low interest personal loans about for those with a good credit record.
Agreed, all depends how you are financing but the difference between 2% and 6% APR can destroy the up front discount on the used car. Sure unsecured loans to the cap or adding to a mortgage are cheaper. Sometimes though people go for convenience or the security of the put option given how much the car industry will change over the next few years.

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
EC2 said:
Phil. said:
EC2 said:
Depends if you want finance on an M5 as the new cars have very low rate APR PCP finance so they might end up cheaper over a few years than a nearly new one on a bigger APR. Obviously if you are paying cash then go for value.
Agreed, but you still need to take in to account the additional £10k-£20k early depreciation on a new discounted car compared to a nearly new one, when considering the finance costs. That’s a lot of interest over a few years. Plus there are still some low interest personal loans about for those with a good credit record.
Agreed, all depends how you are financing but the difference between 2% and 6% APR can destroy the up front discount on the used car. Sure unsecured loans to the cap or adding to a mortgage are cheaper. Sometimes though people go for convenience or the security of the put option given how much the car industry will change over the next few years.
I’m going all in with cash. (I know - flash git)..,

Phil.

2,838 posts

214 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
c10vet said:
I’m going all in with cash. (I know - flash git)..,
I did the same. I found that not taking finance made no difference to the negotiations, which hasn’t always been my experience in the past.

Please update us when you’ve made a decision, with photo’s obviously smile

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
c10vet said:
I’m going all in with cash. (I know - flash git)..,
I did the same. I found that not taking finance made no difference to the negotiations, which hasn’t always been my experience in the past.

Please update us when you’ve made a decision, with photo’s obviously smile
Sure thing Phil. Until I can test drive I won’t do a click and collect. So, looking forward to the lifting of lockdown so I can go test drive!

I am hoping dealers will want the cash injection so I may get a deal, but let’s see.

ZX10R NIN

20,889 posts

89 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Was the Panamera a no?

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
ZX10R NIN said:
Was the Panamera a no?
Hi ZX10R - sorry, thought I’d replied!

It is a no. I did think about them but they’re a big boaty for me. No offence!

I think I am still on M5, DB11 or E63 as a wildcard though not crazy on the looks. Once we can I will test drive all and keep you all posted!

Thanks for all the comments and intel. Love PH!

awg454

478 posts

180 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Not that it helps I’ve got both and I never know which one to drive smile

williamp

17,587 posts

237 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Alpina??

ZX10R NIN

20,889 posts

89 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
williamp said:
Alpina??
Now that's a great suggestion:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009023...

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
awg454 said:
Not that it helps I’ve got both and I never know which one to drive smile
You lucky lucky sausage!

If you could only have one, which one and why? M5 or DB11?

Would love a quick real World SWOT analysis if you don’t mind!

Phil.

2,838 posts

214 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
This M5C has 53 miles and a list price of £113k being offered at £79,999 before negotiations:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010134...

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
This M5C has 53 miles and a list price of £113k being offered at £79,999 before negotiations:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010134...
That’s a lot of car fur the lolly - thanks Phil. If it had brown or black leather I’d give them a call but I cannot stand Silverstone or white leather. This is where I get picky...sigh

Phil.

2,838 posts

214 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
c10vet said:
That’s a lot of car fur the lolly - thanks Phil. If it had brown or black leather I’d give them a call but I cannot stand Silverstone or white leather. This is where I get picky...sigh
I know what you mean. I decided to compromise my ideal spec a bit to get the best deal, but that doesn’t seem to matter now it’s on my drive or better still, on the road smile

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
c10vet said:
That’s a lot of car fur the lolly - thanks Phil. If it had brown or black leather I’d give them a call but I cannot stand Silverstone or white leather. This is where I get picky...sigh
I know what you mean. I decided to compromise my ideal spec a bit to get the best deal, but that doesn’t seem to matter now it’s on my drive or better still, on the road smile
:-)

awg454

478 posts

180 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
c10vet said:
You lucky lucky sausage!

If you could only have one, which one and why? M5 or DB11?

Would love a quick real World SWOT analysis if you don’t mind!
The M5 is probably the better all rounder,better technology,build quality very good,mine is just coming up 2 years old and apart from servicing it’s not had to go to the dealers once,
The Aston has been back a few times but not for anything major just odd rattles and a sticking spoiler.
I had intended selling the M5 in March when it’s 2 years old (I use a Tesla as my daily),but don’t think I will just yet I still really enjoy the car when I use it.
But if I really had to pick I would go with the DB11

Phil.

2,838 posts

214 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
Understand that the Aston might be more of a desirable weekend or occasional car but maybe not an every day preference.

Here’s a 70 plate facelift M5C with the Comfort Plus Pack, black interior, around £106k list for £75k before negotiations smile

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101077...

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
awg454 said:
c10vet said:
You lucky lucky sausage!

If you could only have one, which one and why? M5 or DB11?

Would love a quick real World SWOT analysis if you don’t mind!
The M5 is probably the better all rounder,better technology,build quality very good,mine is just coming up 2 years old and apart from servicing it’s not had to go to the dealers once,
The Aston has been back a few times but not for anything major just odd rattles and a sticking spoiler.
I had intended selling the M5 in March when it’s 2 years old (I use a Tesla as my daily),but don’t think I will just yet I still really enjoy the car when I use it.
But if I really had to pick I would go with the DB11
Thanks - good feedback. If I go for the M5 I know I’ll pull up next to a DB11 and regret it. Equally if I buy the DB I am still not sure how good it will be to daily.

More to ponder...

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
Understand that the Aston might be more of a desirable weekend or occasional car but maybe not an every day preference.

Here’s a 70 plate facelift M5C with the Comfort Plus Pack, black interior, around £106k list for £75k before negotiations smile

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101077...
Haha! Thanks Phil - I clicked through and found I had already favourited that one! Great minds. There are defo some deals but I am worried the M won’t feel “special” enough. I heard a couple of people say it is amazing but they just could not fall in love with it....