F90 M5 or DB11? Used purchase quandary...

F90 M5 or DB11? Used purchase quandary...

Author
Discussion

memzyy

81 posts

53 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
c10vet said:
Haha! Thanks Phil - I clicked through and found I had already favourited that one! Great minds. There are defo some deals but I am worried the M won’t feel “special” enough. I heard a couple of people say it is amazing but they just could not fall in love with it....
To me the essential ingredient of "special" feeling is the exclusivity and that doesn't come with any Merc, BMW, Audi, etc. Doesn't matter how good tech how fast how well built they are.

If you look for top notch tech, build quality, performance and a degree of special feeling i think Porsche is hard to beat.

I have DB11 and use it daily i think almost 18k miles now and it is very useable and i wouldn't change it for anything else. I take it everywhere from office to construction site to posh Hotel to back street takeaway kebab shop.

Negatives for daily usage are small boot, no useable rear seats which doesn't bother me. What sometimes bothers me in daily duties is the attention it draws. Sometimes you just want to get on with your daily routine unnoticed and that is just not possible.

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
memzyy said:
To me the essential ingredient of "special" feeling is the exclusivity and that doesn't come with any Merc, BMW, Audi, etc. Doesn't matter how good tech how fast how well built they are.

If you look for top notch tech, build quality, performance and a degree of special feeling i think Porsche is hard to beat.

I have DB11 and use it daily i think almost 18k miles now and it is very useable and i wouldn't change it for anything else. I take it everywhere from office to construction site to posh Hotel to back street takeaway kebab shop.

Negatives for daily usage are small boot, no useable rear seats which doesn't bother me. What sometimes bothers me in daily duties is the attention it draws. Sometimes you just want to get on with your daily routine unnoticed and that is just not possible.
Thanks Memzyy - great and useful first hand comments.

I agree on Porsche but have done 911s and nothing else attracts me in the marque, bar a 918 which is a whole different story.

I like your account if the DB and daily application (inc Bab shop). I don’t care about rear seats (I have a 7yr so hopefully would work for the 20min school run, though have a Range Rover if not), and small boot is irrelevant, again as have wife’s Rangey when needed.

I am steering towards the DB, but still need to drive both which may not change much as clearly they are both great at what they do...

Phil.

2,819 posts

214 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
I’m agreeing with you guys, and also have a RR for different duties.

I quite like the less in your face M5C versus DB11. I don’t really want to be noticed which is why I’ve never bought a Ferrari. And it’s fun sometimes when people make the mistake thinking it’s a stock 5-series as you disappear in to the distance wink

Having said that those that know know. I had one chap stop, stand and stare at me the other day while stationary at a junction, obviously explaining to his wife what he was looking at. I don’t see many M5’s about and enthusiasts do stop and look as you pass by.

I also like that all the tech works and it’s up with the best. Nothing more frustrating than old or unstable tech IMO. The engine and the way it handles were key influencing factors for me.

I don’t take car buying too seriously, if I get fed up with a car I’ll sell it and buy something else. I get it’s an emotional decision though and I look forward to your thoughts once you’ve driven them both thumbup

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
I’m agreeing with you guys, and also have a RR for different duties.

I quite like the less in your face M5C versus DB11. I don’t really want to be noticed which is why I’ve never bought a Ferrari. And it’s fun sometimes when people make the mistake thinking it’s a stock 5-series as you disappear in to the distance wink

Having said that those that know know. I had one chap stop, stand and stare at me the other day while stationary at a junction, obviously explaining to his wife what he was looking at. I don’t see many M5’s about and enthusiasts do stop and look as you pass by.

I also like that all the tech works and it’s up with the best. Nothing more frustrating than old or unstable tech IMO. The engine and the way it handles were key influencing factors for me.

I don’t take car buying too seriously, if I get fed up with a car I’ll sell it and buy something else. I get it’s an emotional decision though and I look forward to your thoughts once you’ve driven them both thumbup
Cheers Phil. Nice thoughts.

Tempting though it is to just do a deal over the phone and have it delivered, I will indeed await the test drives.

One thing I know is they are both great propositions....lovely problem to have!!





memzyy

81 posts

53 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Very good problem to have indeed.. Both are excellent at what they offer.

I adore Ranges too specially the full fat ones. Such a majestic iconic car. They have their flaws but you just forgive them.

For some some reason i never dreamed of owning a Ferrari or an Aston for that matter. I have always been fan and dreamed of BMWs. Owned a few models but never get to own an exciting M car. Even got a 7 series for couple of months in my 20s.. What the hell i was thinking....May be the rear seat space looked appealing at the time spermsmokin

I was in my early teens when E46 M3 came out and to date its the only car i used as desktop background. First time i saw an E92 M3 was in 2007 at the red light during my driving test. The noise of that V8 still my ears as he floored it off from the lights...

I am now thinking why i haven't ever owned a M car?? This topic might end up costing me E46/E92 M3.


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:23


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:24


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:27

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
memzyy said:
Very good problem to have indeed.. Both are excellent at what they offer.

I adore Ranges too specially the full fat ones. Such a majestic iconic car. They have their flaws but you just forgive them.

For some some reason i never dreamed of owning a Ferrari or an Aston for that matter. I have always been fan and dreamed of BMWs. Owned a few models but never get to own an exciting M car. Even got a 7 series for couple of months in my 20s.. What the hell i was thinking....May be the rear seat space looked appealing at the time spermsmokin

I was in my early teens when E46 M3 came out and to date its the only car i used as desktop background. First time i saw an E92 M3 was in 2007 at the red light during my driving test. The noise of that V8 still my ears as he floored it off from the lights...

I am now thinking why i haven't ever owned a M car?? This topic might end up costing me E46/E92 M3.


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:23


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:24


Edited by memzyy on Sunday 28th February 01:27
Haha! I had an E46 M3 and it was very engaging. Tinny but unique exhaust note, and every trip felt like an event. Better than my 911 C2S, even though the SMG was a cr@p box.

One thing I don’t like on the newer F90 M5s are the newer speedos with reverse direction tacho. I prefer the first non-comp F90. Also, the LCI Comps sound like they fixed the jarring ride, but now the exhaust is bland due to the newer regs.

Ah well.....there’s always a compromise somewhere!!

Jasandjules

65,972 posts

193 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
awg454 said:
Not that it helps I’ve got both and I never know which one to drive smile
Lend me the DB11 and I will save you that "difficulty"..... I will also drive it regularly to keep it warm and the battery tip top. You are welcome.

awg454

477 posts

180 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
Lend me the DB11 and I will save you that "difficulty"..... I will also drive it regularly to keep it warm and the battery tip top. You are welcome.
That’s a very kind offer pity the current lockdown rules won’t allow it smile

Jasandjules

65,972 posts

193 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
awg454 said:
Jasandjules said:
Lend me the DB11 and I will save you that "difficulty"..... I will also drive it regularly to keep it warm and the battery tip top. You are welcome.
That’s a very kind offer pity the current lockdown rules won’t allow it smile
Oh I am not complying with any such rules, I have adopted the Cummings/Feguson approach. SO more than happy to come and collect ooooorrr if it makes you feel better I will send a car transporter to collect biggrin

Phil.

2,819 posts

214 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Out of interest, how does the servicing cost of a DB11 compare with a M5C?

From memory, when I bought my previous M5C from new, at the running in service (1k miles) I bought a service pack that included the running in service and the next two services for £1,000. Compared to other performance cars I have owned this seemed pretty reasonable.

RichardAP

188 posts

6 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
Out of interest, how does the servicing cost of a DB11 compare with a M5C?

From memory, when I bought my previous M5C from new, at the running in service (1k miles) I bought a service pack that included the running in service and the next two services for £1,000. Compared to other performance cars I have owned this seemed pretty reasonable.
DB11s come with a 5 year free service plan.

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
Out of interest, how does the servicing cost of a DB11 compare with a M5C?

From memory, when I bought my previous M5C from new, at the running in service (1k miles) I bought a service pack that included the running in service and the next two services for £1,000. Compared to other performance cars I have owned this seemed pretty reasonable.
Great question Phil - service packs aside, what are the normal DB vs M5 servicing / running costs. I hear a grand a year should cover the servicing....? (Excluding any silly major needs).

Thoughts and experience all? If whichever car I pick is great then I may just keep it for 5-10yrs!

Phil.

2,819 posts

214 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
RichardAP said:
DB11s come with a 5 year free service plan.
Is the service plan transferable on re-sale?

Phil.

2,819 posts

214 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
c10vet said:
Great question Phil - service packs aside, what are the normal DB vs M5 servicing / running costs. I hear a grand a year should cover the servicing....? (Excluding any silly major needs).

Thoughts and experience all? If whichever car I pick is great then I may just keep it for 5-10yrs!
I think the M5 will be nearer £500 pa than £1,000 pa.

RichardAP

188 posts

6 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Phil. said:
RichardAP said:
DB11s come with a 5 year free service plan.
Is the service plan transferable on re-sale?
It was on ours, we bought it at 18 months old from AM Chichester, I think it’s 5 years free servicing on all of them, rather than a plan you pay extra for.





memzyy

81 posts

53 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
As Richard's post DB11s are all come with 5 year free service as standard and its bound to the car not the owners. I have done 2 services at £0 cost. Having brand new Vantage as a courtesy car while DB11 was there big bonus.

Service intervals are every 10k miles or 1 year.

Replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin PS4S at around £850. Cant remember exactly.

Aston warranty extension £1800 per annum

Over 18k miles average 19 MPG. I live in central London so always heavy traffic.

I can't see running costs of DB11 being any higher than M5/AMG/RS to be honest.

I had Bentley GT Speed before DB11 and that was expensive to run daily with £3k Warranty, £1.3k tyres, 12mpg and £1k service

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
memzyy said:
As Richard's post DB11s are all come with 5 year free service as standard and its bound to the car not the owners. I have done 2 services at £0 cost. Having brand new Vantage as a courtesy car while DB11 was there big bonus.

Service intervals are every 10k miles or 1 year.

Replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin PS4S at around £850. Cant remember exactly.

Aston warranty extension £1800 per annum

Over 18k miles average 19 MPG. I live in central London so always heavy traffic.

I can't see running costs of DB11 being any higher than M5/AMG/RS to be honest.

I had Bentley GT Speed before DB11 and that was expensive to run daily with £3k Warranty, £1.3k tyres, 12mpg and £1k service
Excellent intel - thanks memzyy!

Phil.

2,819 posts

214 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
memzyy said:
As Richard's post DB11s are all come with 5 year free service as standard and its bound to the car not the owners. I have done 2 services at £0 cost. Having brand new Vantage as a courtesy car while DB11 was there big bonus.

Service intervals are every 10k miles or 1 year.

Replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin PS4S at around £850. Cant remember exactly.

Aston warranty extension £1800 per annum

Over 18k miles average 19 MPG. I live in central London so always heavy traffic.

I can't see running costs of DB11 being any higher than M5/AMG/RS to be honest.

I had Bentley GT Speed before DB11 and that was expensive to run daily with £3k Warranty, £1.3k tyres, 12mpg and £1k service
Useful, thanks. The AM warranty extension is the main difference in running costs between the two offset by an annual service on the M5.

As always it’s the depreciation that is the main cost though.

c10vet

Original Poster:

57 posts

6 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Phil. said:
memzyy said:
As Richard's post DB11s are all come with 5 year free service as standard and its bound to the car not the owners. I have done 2 services at £0 cost. Having brand new Vantage as a courtesy car while DB11 was there big bonus.

Service intervals are every 10k miles or 1 year.

Replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin PS4S at around £850. Cant remember exactly.

Aston warranty extension £1800 per annum

Over 18k miles average 19 MPG. I live in central London so always heavy traffic.

I can't see running costs of DB11 being any higher than M5/AMG/RS to be honest.

I had Bentley GT Speed before DB11 and that was expensive to run daily with £3k Warranty, £1.3k tyres, 12mpg and £1k service
Useful, thanks. The AM warranty extension is the main difference in running costs between the two offset by an annual service on the M5.

As always it’s the depreciation that is the main cost though.
Agreed on the depreciation - second guessing how much more the DB will lose is the trick....

RichardAP

188 posts

6 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
c10vet said:
Agreed on the depreciation - second guessing how much more the DB will lose is the trick....
On the AM pre owned website quite a few have pcp details available, so you can get a good idea of what they are estimating, but a quick look seems consistent with many other cars, e.g. worth 45% of current price after 4 years, 40k miles.

For what it’s worth OP the M5 is a great car, but if you can live with 2 seats and a smaller boot the DB11 will always win in my view. There will be a few compromises, car parks will be tighter, tech isn’t the latest, no glovebox?? but you will always look back at it as you walk away and the V12 is superb.