PistonHeads.com Forum

A few questions on shipping a modern TVR in California.

A few questions on shipping a modern TVR in California.

Author
Discussion

Grantura MKI

803 posts

81 months

Tuesday 29th December 2015
quotequote all
Any new news about this?
Best,
D.

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Wednesday 24th August 2016
quotequote all
Missed a flight today and drove the long way home to see if there was anything interesting in Blackhorse LA. Spotted something in a window on the way up. Did a u-turn to take a closer look..




mk1fan

8,878 posts

148 months

Wednesday 24th August 2016
quotequote all
Awesome.

Did you get anywhere with bringing yours in?

Our trip fell apart because we couldn't find an insurance carrier who'd cover California. Did you find one?

Cheers.

Milky400

1,879 posts

101 months

Wednesday 24th August 2016
quotequote all
What a stocklist of cars CNC have

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Wednesday 24th August 2016
quotequote all
Discovered some interesting "solutions" but changing cars every 12 months and using the 12 month import rule works.

Have been traveling quite a bit so put a fast bike and car in the garage there as I wouldn't have had time to drive the TVR. I am now on the hunt for a good example.
Advertisement

so called

6,722 posts

132 months

Wednesday 24th August 2016
quotequote all
laugh I know that car. laugh

I posted a slightly long story about it a couple of years ago.

2005 Mk2 Tuscan imported through Florida.

Sold by Mirimar Motors Tampa for $150k.
Respold by Celebrity Cars Las Vegas $300k.
Spotted in LA 2012 in a repair shop. I was in LA at the time so popped round smile

Different colour now but I'd recognise those rims anywhere.


A couple of weeks later in the news in the news when someone crashed a Town car Limo through the shop front and damaged it again.
Describes on LA TV etc as " A very rare TVR Tuscan, the only one in the country".

Sajhdejian said that at least three supercars will need repairs including the TVR Tuscan S.
"There's only one in the United States"
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Exotic-Car...

Glad I spotted your post, been following it for years. smile

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Thursday 25th August 2016
quotequote all
I remember your post. It's now in Reventon grey.

A $300k Tuscan sale in Vegas? Sounds like a money lau.... wink

geeman237

341 posts

108 months

Thursday 25th August 2016
quotequote all
"Justices" any updates on bringing your TVR over here? I saw you mentioned it was a 1993 model. I am sure you are aware of the 25 year rule to import a car into the US without restrictions. Just a thought but if you imported it on a 12 month visitor basis in 2017 one year before it reaches 25 years old then I wonder if you can 'grandfather' it in under the 25 year rule and keep it here as long as you like? The only snags then I could possibly see are (1) your visa status, in that in order to fully import it you might need to be a permanent US resident and (2) the car would probably be required to undergo annual Ca emissions testing, which might prove a challenge.

I've just bought a 1992 Griffith to import to the US next year. It doesn't reach 25 years old until November 2017 so I am keeping it in UK storage until then. My state of residence has no emissions tests to worry about though.

Best of luck.


Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Saturday 27th August 2016
quotequote all
geeman237 said:
"Justices" any updates on bringing your TVR over here? I saw you mentioned it was a 1993 model. I am sure you are aware of the 25 year rule to import a car into the US without restrictions. Just a thought but if you imported it on a 12 month visitor basis in 2017 one year before it reaches 25 years old then I wonder if you can 'grandfather' it in under the 25 year rule and keep it here as long as you like? The only snags then I could possibly see are (1) your visa status, in that in order to fully import it you might need to be a permanent US resident and (2) the car would probably be required to undergo annual Ca emissions testing, which might prove a challenge.

I've just bought a 1992 Griffith to import to the US next year. It doesn't reach 25 years old until November 2017 so I am keeping it in UK storage until then. My state of residence has no emissions tests to worry about though.

Best of luck.
Sadly not 1993, aiming to bring a Tuscan. A Sagaris is also tempting (jumped to £70k+ now??), but the absolutely perfect weather makes roof-off action irresistible.

As I travel frequently, the last stage is checking that the car can stay in for a year while I go in and out of the country. I read that the car had to leave when you did, which would throw an enormous spanner in the works. I will see this done, been a very long time coming.

mk1fan

8,878 posts

148 months

Friday 9th September 2016
quotequote all
What are you doing about insurance?

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Saturday 15th October 2016
quotequote all
Having a look through insurance at the moment. There are a few options, will update.

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Monday 8th May
quotequote all
Right then, have been busy buying a few motors to keep me busy when in town, but now it's time for a Tuscan!

Has anyone shipped a car to the U.S recently? Specifically to California. Any tips much appreciated. Ideally want to buy a car and have it shipped over asap.

geeman237

341 posts

108 months

Monday 8th May
quotequote all
Justices said:
Right then, have been busy buying a few motors to keep me busy when in town, but now it's time for a Tuscan!

Has anyone shipped a car to the U.S recently? Specifically to California. Any tips much appreciated. Ideally want to buy a car and have it shipped over asap.
I just imported in a 1992 Griffith to sell over here. Its 100% legally in the US and titled in South Carolina. Feel free to PM me and I'll let you know how it went with costs to the penny.

mk1fan

8,878 posts

148 months

Tuesday 9th May
quotequote all
Still interested in the insurance options for California. Not given up on the America tour just yet.

KenInOntario

57 posts

30 months

Sunday 14th May
quotequote all
Buy my one that is for sale in Canada. Insure it here, travel the USA then sell it afterwards.

All legal & above board!

I have a 2nd I plan to drive up Pikes Peak in the summer.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/TVR/Tuscan/COLLINGWOOD...

Justices

Original Poster:

3,296 posts

87 months

Tuesday 6th June
quotequote all
KenInOntario said:
Buy my one that is for sale in Canada. Insure it here, travel the USA then sell it afterwards.

All legal & above board!

I have a 2nd I plan to drive up Pikes Peak in the summer.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/TVR/Tuscan/COLLINGWOOD...
Just seeing this now. Why is it up for sale after all the work getting it over to Canada??

PM me if you can.

KenInOntario

57 posts

30 months

Sunday 20th August
quotequote all
I sold her, and bought another Tuscan for this year and next.

I am looking at eventually getting a T350T