Bored of trackdays. What CHEAP motorsport options are there?

Bored of trackdays. What CHEAP motorsport options are there?

Author
Discussion

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I'm mulling over taking a step into some kind of budget (edit: non-racing?) motorsport, but don't really know what's out there.

I raced on and off a bit in Caterham Graduates for a while up to about 10 yrs ago, but quit when my kids were born as i was fed up spending so much on it. I'm not that keen on having to get my race licence again. Plus all of my safety gear is old now. I quit just as the HANS requirement came in.

I've dabbled with trackdays since then but find it a bit boring unless in something very raw and reasonably powerful. I have a Clio 200 track car that i'll be selling soon as it's just not quite doing it for me on track.

I've had my "dream" (to me) road car (BMW M2) but got bored with it in less than a year, so have recently sold it.

I have a towcar in place.

I have space in my garage, and can do a fair bit of spannering at home.

So, what can i do that's got some competitive element to it, but doesn't cost the earth?

Things i've thought of but not looked at yet:
Hillclimbs
Sprints

erm....

I'm stocky/heavy, so karting is probably out.

I quite fancy having something bonkers like a westfield with a bike engine in it, but would need to do something competitive in it, maybe with the odd trackday to scare passengers.

Help/advice wanted!

Budget to buy a car+trailer is up to about £25k if i sell the clio, but ideally i'd like to have something all sorted for around £15k if possible.

Edited by PTF on Thursday 12th May 12:28


Edited by PTF on Thursday 12th May 12:29

charltjr

4,279 posts

172 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
EnduroKa or City Car Cup?

I think these are about the cheapest circuit racing options, but from the sound of it you want higher performance?

mat205125

16,506 posts

190 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Hill climbs and sprints are beaten only by drag racing for terrible cost to time/mileage ratio

750MC civic cup maybe, with a car that can be used in many other national series

Key cost consideration is whether you want to win or just have fun?

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I'm actually not that bothered about racing TBH. I used to really enjoy testing and qualifying way more than the races. I liked trying to race the clock.

Ian974

2,598 posts

176 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
charltjr said:
EnduroKa or City Car Cup?

I think these are about the cheapest circuit racing options, but from the sound of it you want higher performance?
Although not fast cars, these do seem to be the popular options for low cost/ more track time and flexibility in what you can do.
A cheap car where you can enter everything from 8 lap sprints to 24h endurance races

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
mat205125 said:
Hill climbs and sprints are beaten only by drag racing for terrible cost to time/mileage ratio
I think if i'm mixing trackdays with it, where there's as much track time as i can take available, then that would probably be ok.

mat205125 said:
Key cost consideration is whether you want to win or just have fun?
With racing i think this is a really, really important point. Thanks i'd not thought of that.

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
charltjr said:
...but from the sound of it you want higher performance?
Yeah i think i do. I really fancy having a go with something quite bonkers.

Not blowing my own trumpet or anything, but i tend to get to grips with cars and tracks quite quickly, like within a few laps, then i'm a bit bored.

Quite fancy something that's hard get to the limit with.

An elise has been top of the list for a while, because the mid-engined layout isn't something i'm used to on the limit.

jhonn

1,320 posts

126 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
You could look at RTV 4x4 trials; vehicles are reasonably priced as are entry fees. You don't need a custom-built specialised vehicle to be competitive - it's mostly about tyres, driver skill and an ability to 'read the ground'.

A bit of decent weather, good company, a scenic site and you can have a great day out with like minded enthusiasts - probably the cheapest form of motorsport there is.

Being able to tinker with and improve the vehicle relatively cheaply is a bonus too.

MG CHRIS

8,642 posts

144 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
If you like the qualifying element more than racing why not try out time attack that budgt could get you something quick in the club classes. Also get good track time compared to sprints an hill climbs etc.

John Laverick

1,955 posts

191 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Have you considered a switch to bikes .... your question has motocross written all over it.

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
MG CHRIS said:
If you like the qualifying element more than racing why not try out time attack that budgt could get you something quick in the club classes. Also get good track time compared to sprints an hill climbs etc.
Just had a look on the website. That actually looks really good. 4x 15 min sessions (min), so still a reasonable amount of track time, but you're racing against the clock rather than eachother.

Hmmm. I might take the kids to Brands in June and have a chat with some people there.

Thanks for that.

normalbloke

5,589 posts

196 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Hillclimb. You have to get it right from the off.

croyde

19,466 posts

207 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I watched a clip of e scooter racing. Can't be too costly.

What the riders were wearing must have cost more than the scooters.

Full moto GP style.

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
John Laverick said:
Have you considered a switch to bikes .... your question has motocross written all over it.
Been riding motorbikes since i was about 12. Not done much offroad though apart from round a field in my teens.

Not sure i've got the confidence for motocross TBH. Though getting an offroad bike might be fun if i could find somewhere local to play on it.

My kids would want one though!! rofl

I do a reasonable amount of cycling/mountainbiking, so sort of feel like i've got that covered....ish.

MG CHRIS

8,642 posts

144 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
PTF said:
MG CHRIS said:
If you like the qualifying element more than racing why not try out time attack that budgt could get you something quick in the club classes. Also get good track time compared to sprints an hill climbs etc.
Just had a look on the website. That actually looks really good. 4x 15 min sessions (min), so still a reasonable amount of track time, but you're racing against the clock rather than eachother.

Hmmm. I might take the kids to Brands in June and have a chat with some people there.

Thanks for that.
The cars specs in pro classes are unreal tbh however club classes have a wide range of vehicles competing know a few that switch from doing sprints to time attack it's not for everyone but worth a visit and chat with people involved.

Truckosaurus

9,241 posts

261 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
mat205125 said:
Hill climbs and sprints are beaten only by drag racing for terrible cost to time/mileage ratio
Indeed. Although if you are doing it with a road car then overall costs are pretty low versus any sort of wheel-to-wheel racing.

You can even enter as a 'standard car' is some regions and literally spend zero on car prep once you've bought/made a timing strut.

If you buy an interesting road car (eg. hot hatch, MX5, Caterham etc) and can mix up some fun road driving, track days and some club hills/sprints then that's all your motoring bases covered IMHO.

bigothunter

4,237 posts

37 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
PTF said:
I'm stocky/heavy, so karting is probably out.
Historic karting offers great value for money. Don't worry too much about weight - some heavy drivers are astoundingly competitive driving

http://retroracerhks.co.uk/


brillomaster

773 posts

147 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
if you've got the ability to have a trailer, and dont mind a bit of spannering yourself, then i'd go for some kind of bike engined mk indy or the like.

went out in one at snetterton and it was absolutely incredible. 12k redline, sequential gears, slick tyres. ran rings around everything else there.

That alone would make trackdays fun again, but if that wasnt enough, i'd probably say sprinting.

http://www.javelinsprintdays.co.uk/sprint/

http://www.britishsprint.org/default.asp



emicen

7,979 posts

195 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
PTF said:
I'm actually not that bothered about racing TBH. I used to really enjoy testing and qualifying way more than the races. I liked trying to race the clock.
If you weren’t so far south I would have suggested Super Lap Scotland. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

PTF

Original Poster:

3,841 posts

201 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
emicen said:
PTF said:
I'm actually not that bothered about racing TBH. I used to really enjoy testing and qualifying way more than the races. I liked trying to race the clock.
If you weren’t so far south I would have suggested Super Lap Scotland. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
First time i've ever heard Lincolnshire descibed as "so far south"

wink