W Series

Author
Discussion

hunter 66

2,764 posts

164 months

Monday 22nd July
quotequote all
Better plan is let some teams spend 500 million a year and other 80 mil ..... then we can watch the same two cars always at the front ( then they get a bigger cut of the financial reward to help them stay ahead )....... and see who is the best driver in each team ... wait we have that already ...
Maybe like a US draft system the franchise that finishes last gets first pick ...

MitchT

12,577 posts

153 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Chadwick off colour today but got the main job done. Some good racing early in the race.

bockaaarck

308 posts

112 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Yep, she deserves to be champion. Consistent performances, great racing capability, she’s the real deal. Despite not looking 100% today. Terrific wheel to wheel racing, yet again!

Dinoboy

1,707 posts

161 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Enjoyed that, congratulations to JC, be interesting to see what she chooses to do with her £500k for next year.

Cold

7,139 posts

34 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
The "worst thirty minutes" of her life - apparently! laugh
Onward and upward for her.

Zoobeef

3,964 posts

102 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Cold said:
The "worst thirty minutes" of her life - apparently! laugh
Onward and upward for her.
She should try listening to the commentary.

EDLT

15,183 posts

150 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Dinoboy said:
Enjoyed that, congratulations to JC, be interesting to see what she chooses to do with her £500k for next year.
Next year W series qualifies for super license points, she'll be back. Did anyone else spot the pint she brought to the post race interview, that's a chunk of 500k gone already.

2172cc

502 posts

41 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Chadwick is a class act and deserved the championship, but what was the flag being displayed behind Visser on the podium? Isn't she Dutch?

Edited by 2172cc on Sunday 11th August 16:52

JonChalk

2,017 posts

54 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Zoobeef said:
Cold said:
The "worst thirty minutes" of her life - apparently! laugh
Onward and upward for her.
She should try listening to the commentary.
I was prepared to give Claire Cottingham the benefit of the doubt for the first few races.New job, new role, new pressure, etc.

But in truth, she's st.

Lee McK would have been a better choice - fk, even Crofty would have been better.

David Addison would be No.1 choice, however,

coppice

5,430 posts

88 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
I'd love to have heard the late Peter Scot-Russell trying to do W Series ....

Excellent result for Ms Chadwick, whom I had the pleasure of interviewing a few weeks ago. A total professional already - and the conversation reminded me what a gauche clod I was at 21, back in the Jurassic era...

Dinoboy

1,707 posts

161 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Oh god no ,not Crofty! I'd actually rather listen to Ms Cottingham.

Poppiecock

405 posts

2 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
entropy said:
At best W Series has been interesting to watch but on the whole the racing has been processional. What does that tell you about the cars and drivers?

If reverse grids gives the quicker drivers more passing opportunites then at the very least if you're in the upper midfield then you're forced to tune your race craft.
These are the same cars as Regional F3, aren't they?

I'm guessing there's a good reason why they don't run the W Series on the same circuits as the F3 series.

Is it possible to draw any kind of performance comparisons?

ajprice

16,328 posts

140 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Poppiecock said:
These are the same cars as Regional F3, aren't they?

I'm guessing there's a good reason why they don't run the W Series on the same circuits as the F3 series.

Is it possible to draw any kind of performance comparisons?
These cars are an F3 chassis with a 270bhp turbo Alfa Romeo engine.
Kraken said:
They are Tatuus F3 cars with 1.8l turbo engines.

https://wseries.com/w-hub/tatuus-f3-t-318-tech-spe...

Poppiecock

405 posts

2 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Same as the Formula Regional cars, then.

Zoobeef

3,964 posts

102 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
Zoobeef said:
Cold said:
The "worst thirty minutes" of her life - apparently! laugh
Onward and upward for her.
She should try listening to the commentary.
I was prepared to give Claire Cottingham the benefit of the doubt for the first few races.New job, new role, new pressure, etc.

But in truth, she's st.

Lee McK would have been a better choice - fk, even Crofty would have been better.

David Addison would be No.1 choice, however,
She just repeats herself over and over and over. Even coulthard couldn't add much too it.

Good racing although the director focused on the front runners that did nothing for the first 10 minutes when esme Hawkins came from the back, overtook a load of cars then dropped to the back again and no mention of it.

Koln-RS

2,857 posts

156 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
I was at Brands for the DTM, and a friend in Minis, but very impressed by the WS set up.

Their hospitality areas were teaming with people all day, and a friendly carnival atmosphere until late in the evening, with good access to all the personnel and drivers.

Agree, Chadwick seems a worthy champion, and impressive in qualifying, but seemed to be playing it safe in the race.

Be interested to see where WS goes from here. Hope it prospers.


andrewcliffe

456 posts

168 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Poppiecock said:
These are the same cars as Regional F3, aren't they?

I'm guessing there's a good reason why they don't run the W Series on the same circuits as the F3 series.

Is it possible to draw any kind of performance comparisons?
A vacancy came on the DTM support package when the proposed Formula European Masters (ie last seasons Formula 3 rebranded, when GP3 was renamed Formula 3) collapsed. W Series took a race at 6 of the 10 DTM rounds. If those who are backing the series believe they have got their money's worth out of it, maybe they'll consider doing a longer series.

Lap times slower than I expected though, considering latest chassis and aero, and more power than a normal f3 (although probably less torque).

andyroo

2,462 posts

154 months

Sunday 11th August
quotequote all
Did anyone else think Chadwick’s defence by driving around the outside of Paddock Hill was amateurish? She did it again into Surtees, not sure what the thinking was there.

Cold

7,139 posts

34 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
andyroo said:
Did anyone else think Chadwick’s defence by driving around the outside of Paddock Hill was amateurish? She did it again into Surtees, not sure what the thinking was there.
I suspect Chadwick was thinking about the title rather than the podium.

lord summerisle

8,009 posts

169 months

Monday 12th August
quotequote all
Poppiecock said:
entropy said:
At best W Series has been interesting to watch but on the whole the racing has been processional. What does that tell you about the cars and drivers?

If reverse grids gives the quicker drivers more passing opportunites then at the very least if you're in the upper midfield then you're forced to tune your race craft.
These are the same cars as Regional F3, aren't they?

I'm guessing there's a good reason why they don't run the W Series on the same circuits as the F3 series.

Is it possible to draw any kind of performance comparisons?
W Series has been running as a support series to the DTM races this year

British F3 is at Brands next weekend