2020 Rallying Thread (WRC, ERC and national rally)

2020 Rallying Thread (WRC, ERC and national rally)

Author
Discussion

velocemitch

2,896 posts

175 months

Monday 10th February
quotequote all
Dynion Araf Uchaf said:
I'd like to see something different with closed roads, such as a long course (+ 8 miles) hill climb or a time trial open to anything , single seaters, saloons, bikes etc, road cars but maybe 20 miles in length.
There is a closed road Hillclimb open to a lot of different types of car running near Holmfirth in Yorkshire this year. Not the 8 mile run you want, but its a start.

velocemitch

2,896 posts

175 months

Monday 10th February
quotequote all
Drumroll said:
I love my rallying, but get to work on a Monday morning and it is difficult to explain to someone who doesn't know it.
Try explaining Road Rallying, it's even harder!!

The awareness on here is even less than Stage Rallying and lets not forget there will still be a very high number of Stage Rally competitors who started out in the Lanes. Fewer and fewer Road Rally boys will moving on to stages now.

df76

Original Poster:

2,389 posts

233 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Rally Sweden is going ahead, but the schedule is very truncated..

https://rallysweden.com/en/the-race/

Allyc85

7,052 posts

141 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Now stage 1 has become the shakedown, and the event starts on Friday. I really feel for the organisers, but the event has to move further north next year. Flights to somewhere like Ostersund seem easy enough to get to for example.

eglf

167 posts

177 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Hi
I will be in the Inverness area when this year's Snowman rally is on.
Where will be the best places to spectate.
Any information would be gratefully accepted.

DelicaL400

343 posts

66 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
eglf said:
Hi
I will be in the Inverness area when this year's Snowman rally is on.
Where will be the best places to spectate.
Any information would be gratefully accepted.
Spectator information generally isn't available until around a week before the event but the regs say "Thanks to Forestry Land Scotland we have created two spectator areas in the Glenurquhart Forest as well as the ever popular Rogie." I'm sure they'll have details of car parks etc on the event website nearer the time.


eglf

167 posts

177 months

Thursday 13th February
quotequote all
DelicaL400 said:
eglf said:
Hi
I will be in the Inverness area when this year's Snowman rally is on.
Where will be the best places to spectate.
Any information would be gratefully accepted.
Spectator information generally isn't available until around a week before the event but the regs say "Thanks to Forestry Land Scotland we have created two spectator areas in the Glenurquhart Forest as well as the ever popular Rogie." I'm sure they'll have details of car parks etc on the event website nearer the time.

Thanks for that.

Ardennes92

325 posts

35 months

Friday 14th February
quotequote all
Looks like Elfyn is having a good day at the office in Sweden, let’s hope he can keep it together

Drumroll

2,199 posts

75 months

Friday 14th February
quotequote all
Ardennes92 said:
Looks like Elfyn is having a good day at the office in Sweden, let’s hope he can keep it together
Still leading at the end of day one.

Allyc85

7,052 posts

141 months

Friday 14th February
quotequote all
Brilliant from Evans and even better from Rovanpera! To be so fast, yet look in such control at his age is pretty incredible!

Ardennes92

325 posts

35 months

Friday 14th February
quotequote all
Could be an interesting day tomorrow, less than 1s covering top 4 on last stage but overall 24s covering top 6

DanielSan

14,952 posts

122 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
One thing I'm baffled by, it's been known for a while that there was a huge chance of their not being a lot of snow for Sweden this year, so why have Michelin not taken some gravel tyres and give the drivers a choice to make rather than having a half length rally?

df76

Original Poster:

2,389 posts

233 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Drumroll said:
Ardennes92 said:
Looks like Elfyn is having a good day at the office in Sweden, let’s hope he can keep it together
Still leading at the end of day one.
Quick again this morning!

Active75

180 posts

119 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Its quite amazing how Evans is taking time out of Ogier and all on every stage.

Superb coverage on WRC+

df76

Original Poster:

2,389 posts

233 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Surely Evans has done this now! Only one sprint stage left today and just 21km tomorrow, with a massive lead.

DelicaL400

343 posts

66 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Evans is flying, must be all that practice he had when he rallied a K11 Micra. Rovanpera doing very well too. Suninen not so good.

ArnageWRC

1,115 posts

114 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
One thing I'm baffled by, it's been known for a while that there was a huge chance of their not being a lot of snow for Sweden this year, so why have Michelin not taken some gravel tyres and give the drivers a choice to make rather than having a half length rally?
You're not the first to ask this - I think it's in the rules. Sweden is a winter round, so run studded tyres. If the entire event required gravel tyres, then it wouldn't run. The roads would be destroyed and organisers could go bust having to pay to repair them.......


Whilst it's great that Evans has a big lead, I don't think it's a great event, a half WRC round (if that) with full points, and only the Power stage tomorrow. The event has to either move north, or to somewhere else were snow is virtually guaranteed.

Allyc85

7,052 posts

141 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
1 stage to go. Please can Sunday be kind to Elfyn for a change!!

CedricN

524 posts

100 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Yeah, the worst winter since they started measure in year 1750 or something like that,incredibly warm all year.

Of course there's snow further up north, but all the organisers are based in värmland, and the massive audience will probably be much more complicated to get up north, and will probably be massively reduced. So not that simple.

Pericoloso

42,650 posts

118 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
How much further north would they need to go for guaranteed decent snow cover ?

Arctic circle far ?