BTCC 2021 silly season rumour mill

BTCC 2021 silly season rumour mill

Author
Discussion

acer12

815 posts

137 months

Friday 20th November 2020
quotequote all
MG CHRIS said:
Btc they have had a shocking year this year. Looks like cook is leaving and if the chilton too wsr is true which lets be honest chilton could afford the bmw drive then I would say btc.
I would say that’s a bit harsh, luck didn’t fall their way.

Chillton is your classic journeyman and never going to win much if at all, has plateaued as a consistent 5th to 10th place finisher. The benefit he brings is plenty of cash and doesn’t crash much, every team needs a Chilton. Don’t see how all this chopping teams is going to do him any good. Titles can’t be bought with cash

You could say Cooke was a little unlucky with a lot of his dnfs. Has plenty of speed. Reminds me of ash except pushes the envelope too much.

Because of the above the team points doesn’t reflect the teams performance and the great car they presented. I guess running little to no sponsors made things tight for the team.

stevemcs

5,295 posts

56 months

Friday 20th November 2020
quotequote all
Or Ash Sutton to WSR ... (autosport)

Munter

30,404 posts

204 months

Friday 20th November 2020
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Or Ash Sutton to WSR ... (autosport)
Well if I was BMW I'd be on the phone to WSR saying we want ash in the car. If he can beat them in an independent team's car, better he's in theirs.

Sebring440

743 posts

59 months

Friday 20th November 2020
quotequote all
Munter said:
Well if I was BMW I'd be on the phone to WSR saying we want ash in the car. If he can beat them in an independent team's car, better he's in theirs.
I don't think BMW will be phoning WSR much any more. That ship has sailed.


AndrewGP

1,575 posts

125 months

Friday 20th November 2020
quotequote all
Sebring440 said:
Munter said:
Well if I was BMW I'd be on the phone to WSR saying we want ash in the car. If he can beat them in an independent team's car, better he's in theirs.
I don't think BMW will be phoning WSR much any more. That ship has sailed.
Why’s that, did they fall out?

Robmarriott

Original Poster:

2,116 posts

121 months

Wednesday 25th November 2020
quotequote all
Dynion Araf Uchaf said:
Sebring440 said:
Dynion Araf Uchaf said:
there's a reason why Cicely race Mercs........
Why all the dots?

We all know why Ciceley run Mercs.
the dots are there for RobMarriot to join.
wavey

http://www.btcc.net/2020/11/25/ciceley-motorsport-...

Weird looking Merc.

Sammo123

1,615 posts

144 months

Wednesday 25th November 2020
quotequote all
Sebring440 said:
Sammo123 said:
Heard a few rumours today smile

1. Cicely are going to be running two 3 Series next season.
rofl

Sammo123 said:
2. Tom Chilton is moving to WSR to drive their third 3 Series.
rofl

Sammo123 said:
3. One of the teams has been sold. This is pretty much a done deal and I don’t know if I’m meant to tell anyone so I’m not going to say anymore right now. But a team has been sold laugh
Yes, that was Trade Price Cars, they were trying to sell the team all year. See all the posts above. And why "would you not be meant to tell anyone" and then come onto PH and tell everyone?

rofl
Oh look! Cicely have confirmed they’re running BMWs next year. Fancy that aye!

MG CHRIS

7,605 posts

130 months

Wednesday 25th November 2020
quotequote all
Would have thought cicely would have kept with merc but at least buying a car they are buying one of the best out there. The only thing that's a concern is reduction of variation of car on the grid we are losing the passat/fk2 civic/audi s3/ merc from the grid with only seat or cupra depending on what you class it as coming in.
I hope we see a few new different cars but I have a feeling we wont. Its going to look very stale with big numbers of single cars on the grid. So we will see 4-5 3 series maybe more if team parker gets a new 3 series, 4 Hyundai i30n, 5 civics, 3 seat, 3 focus or more if another team buys ones. Then 2 q50 1 Toyota unless they run a 2nd which they need and 1-2 1 series. If that is the case its going to be one of the least varied grid for a long time.

But lets see what the winter brings us.

ols

117 posts

98 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
MG CHRIS said:
If that is the case its going to be one of the least varied grid for a long time..
I mean, it is still at least 7 different body shapes on the grid. As long as it doesn't get as samey as the end of the supertouring era, then it will still be interesting to watch I'm sure smile

Robmarriott

Original Poster:

2,116 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
I'm not entirely sure it matters anyway, it's not like one make formulae are always boring. Maybe a whole grid of the same cars would actually be ok.

Sebring440

743 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
Sammo123 said:
Oh look! Cicely have confirmed they’re running BMWs next year. Fancy that aye!
And you've haven't told us about Rowbotham going to Team Dynamics? You've kept that one quiet.


Sammo123

1,615 posts

144 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
Sebring440 said:
And you've haven't told us about Rowbotham going to Team Dynamics? You've kept that one quiet.
What’s your point? I mentioned three rumours that I’d heard from a very reliable source. You laughed at all three. One has now been reported by BTCC. I fully expect the other two to be announced in good time.

I never mentioned anything about Team Dynamics and their drivers because I’ve heard nothing about them.

agent006

11,723 posts

227 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
I wouldn't take it personally, 440 was endlessly smug and unhelpful in the 2020 rumours thread too.

DanielSan

15,879 posts

130 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
MG CHRIS said:
Would have thought cicely would have kept with merc but at least buying a car they are buying one of the best out there. The only thing that's a concern is reduction of variation of car on the grid we are losing the passat/fk2 civic/audi s3/ merc from the grid with only seat or cupra depending on what you class it as coming in.
I hope we see a few new different cars but I have a feeling we wont. Its going to look very stale with big numbers of single cars on the grid. So we will see 4-5 3 series maybe more if team parker gets a new 3 series, 4 Hyundai i30n, 5 civics, 3 seat, 3 focus or more if another team buys ones. Then 2 q50 1 Toyota unless they run a 2nd which they need and 1-2 1 series. If that is the case its going to be one of the least varied grid for a long time.

But lets see what the winter brings us.
There's still a decent variety of cars, personally I'm hoping that the teams can think of livery that isn't just based of black white or grey. This season has had the most boring looking grid of cars in years even the Focii being red didn't brighten things up much.

MG CHRIS

7,605 posts

130 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Bert taylor has left btc racing to go with smiley with the Hyundai could be that btc is calling time on btcc.

Allyc85

7,173 posts

149 months

Monday 14th December 2020
quotequote all
Goff returns with Team Hard.

MG CHRIS

7,605 posts

130 months

Monday 14th December 2020
quotequote all
Allyc85 said:
Goff returns with Team Hard.
About the least surprising news so far.

Munter

30,404 posts

204 months

Thursday 17th December 2020
quotequote all
BTCC just posted a piece about Ollie.
http://www.btcc.net/2020/12/17/driver-spotlight-ol...

Extensive coverage there!

Rob197

760 posts

109 months

Friday 18th December 2020
quotequote all
Butel in a hyundai, seems strange to leave cicely just as they get one of the best cars though?

mattyc69

291 posts

115 months

Friday 18th December 2020
quotequote all
Rob197 said:
Butel in a hyundai, seems strange to leave cicely just as they get one of the best cars though?
I should imagine a seat in the Hyundai is less than the BMW!!!