2022 Rallying Thread (WRC, ERC and national rally)

2022 Rallying Thread (WRC, ERC and national rally)

Author
Discussion

ArnageWRC

1,692 posts

140 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
It sounds like the beginning of the end for rallying in the Forest of Dean; it's a very popular MTB venue; GMBN uses it for content, and a recent World Champion does skills training there.

However, it seems like on that day, it's a recipe for chaos....rally spectators, and MTB-ers will all want to park, and use the forests/ trails.

LukeBrown66

2,822 posts

27 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
It is frustrating this sort of thing.

I have never understood why if you are a fan and do not wish to marshal, why you could not perhaps take some kind of course similar to what a marshal would take that would allow you, as a fan/speccy to be outside the insurance stuff that this is all about. Allowing you to attend an event without being just simply an uneducated and trained punter.

That way you could perhaps be allowed to accompany a few other people and be a sort of guide or usher if you like.

I understand why there is such a hesitant approach from organisers, but allowing people to try and work it out and perhaps then arrive in place that are unsafe is no good.

It was often the case in the past with singe venues, the no news approach was designed to make people think not to attend when you always could as long as you behaved sensibly and did not impede the crews, marshals etc.

_Yeti

377 posts

73 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
Well if anybody ends up attending Wye Dean and knows where to park. My PMs are open boxedin

Drumroll

3,285 posts

101 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
It is frustrating this sort of thing.

I have never understood why if you are a fan and do not wish to marshal, why you could not perhaps take some kind of course similar to what a marshal would take that would allow you, as a fan/speccy to be outside the insurance stuff that this is all about. Allowing you to attend an event without being just simply an uneducated and trained punter.

That way you could perhaps be allowed to accompany a few other people and be a sort of guide or usher if you like.

I understand why there is such a hesitant approach from organisers, but allowing people to try and work it out and perhaps then arrive in place that are unsafe is no good.

It was often the case in the past with singe venues, the no news approach was designed to make people think not to attend when you always could as long as you behaved sensibly and did not impede the crews, marshals etc.
You can not waive some disclaimer and say I take full responsibility for my own actions it just doesn't work like that.

LukeBrown66

2,822 posts

27 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
Why did I know you would stick your ore in.

It is a suggestion to perhaps try and make it easier for spectators to watch rallies again in places that are perhaps not wanting huge amounts of people flooding there, we all know what happened before, but there could be a way to try and allow certain numbers of people who have perhaps passed some kind of course to say they know what they are doing.

I dont care about the rules, I leave that to people like you I dont live and breath them like you and frankly I dont care, it is just something I thought of to try and get past the barriers for a a small number of regular rally fans who would go and watch in lots of places but now cant either because it is ruined utterly or they are banned completely. These are people who have helped crews, marshals, even saved injury over may years. The silent marshals I call; them.

Sticking your head in the sand, hiding behind legislation and never wanting to fight it, is perhaps your way, but not for a lot of fans who in part have lost an amateur sport they love.

mfmman

1,505 posts

164 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
It's worth noting that a number of the people killed and injured at UK rallies were experienced spectators who possibly believed they were standing in a safe place.

Unofficial spectating at designated non-spectator events has caused lots of trouble with the landowners in the past (venues have been lost as a result)

The Wyedean seems an odd decision by the FC. Whilst it's described as a non spectator event, the nature of the land means it's accessible to the public unless specifically closed off (unlike the above). It won't be hard to find out the info of where the stages will be and at what time and I can't see that people are prohibited from standing in what is a place with public access and watching cars go by. The organiser's statement reflects this


Drumroll

3,285 posts

101 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
Why did I know you would stick your ore in.

It is a suggestion to perhaps try and make it easier for spectators to watch rallies again in places that are perhaps not wanting huge amounts of people flooding there, we all know what happened before, but there could be a way to try and allow certain numbers of people who have perhaps passed some kind of course to say they know what they are doing.

I dont care about the rules, I leave that to people like you I dont live and breath them like you and frankly I dont care, it is just something I thought of to try and get past the barriers for a a small number of regular rally fans who would go and watch in lots of places but now cant either because it is ruined utterly or they are banned completely. These are people who have helped crews, marshals, even saved injury over may years. The silent marshals I call; them.

Sticking your head in the sand, hiding behind legislation and never wanting to fight it, is perhaps your way, but not for a lot of fans who in part have lost an amateur sport they love.
How am I sticking my our in, you came up with another suggestion and all I have done is told you that it won't work.

But as I get fed up of telling you there are still many people out spectating at rallies, because unlike you I am actually seeing them.

You freely admit you don't go to rallies so if anyone is sticking their our in its you.

Ardennes92

509 posts

61 months

Friday 16th September
quotequote all
mfmman said:
It's worth noting that a number of the people killed and injured at UK rallies were experienced spectators who possibly believed they were standing in a safe place.

Unofficial spectating at designated non-spectator events has caused lots of trouble with the landowners in the past (venues have been lost as a result)

The Wyedean seems an odd decision by the FC. Whilst it's described as a non spectator event, the nature of the land means it's accessible to the public unless specifically closed off (unlike the above). It won't be hard to find out the info of where the stages will be and at what time and I can't see that people are prohibited from standing in what is a place with public access and watching cars go by. The organiser's statement reflects this
Not very experienced then if they “believed” they were in a safe place, if you don’t know you shouldn’t be there.

fttm

2,958 posts

116 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Regards the Wyedean it seems like days of old . Rock up to the service park early , find an obliging co driver and get the stage details before heading out for a day in the woods , grab some start times because most stages are used twice and find time to squeeze in a pub lunch . Take an OS map and you'll find plenty of roads in wink

GravelBen

14,733 posts

211 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Ardennes92 said:
Not very experienced then if they “believed” they were in a safe place, if you don’t know you shouldn’t be there.
Plenty of people over the years have "known" they were in a safe place and been killed/injured or had close calls because something happened in a way they did not anticipate.

I'm not too arrogant to admit that I've had my own times 'knowing' I was in a safe spectating position, then having to re-assess and move after the first competitive cars arrived with quite different lines / speed / attack to my expectations from what I could see.

Edited by GravelBen on Saturday 17th September 07:28

Ranger 6

6,697 posts

230 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
thepawbroon said:
A new closed-public-road rally in South Yorkshire has been announced:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=...
Great to see another event in planning. Was just talking to a mutual friend about it and hoping they are mindful of other events when they plan the date

Drumroll

3,285 posts

101 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Ranger 6 said:
Great to see another event in planning. Was just talking to a mutual friend about it and hoping they are mindful of other events when they plan the date
I have the date as the 22nd October

Ranger 6

6,697 posts

230 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Thanks, didn’t see that in the blurb.

ArnageWRC

1,692 posts

140 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Three Shires Stages planned for this weekend was postponed last week....and I'm sure you can guess why.....

However, they can't get a new date, so sadly they have had to cancel. All that time, effort organising for nothing.....

velocemitch

3,542 posts

201 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
Drumroll said:
Ranger 6 said:
Great to see another event in planning. Was just talking to a mutual friend about it and hoping they are mindful of other events when they plan the date
I have the date as the 22nd October
Which kind of reinforces ranger 6’s point!
That’s the normal date for the Dansport, which last year used exactly those roads!

I can see an event date swap coming up in the HRCR Clubmans champIonship now!

thepawbroon

927 posts

165 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
ArnageWRC said:
Three Shires Stages planned for this weekend was postponed last week....and I'm sure you can guess why.....

However, they can't get a new date, so sadly they have had to cancel. All that time, effort organising for nothing.....
It's a shame - I was due to codrive one of the course cars and was looking forward to it.

It's the right course of action though, they'll gain a lot of positive brownie points for not running this weekend, which will shore up the public support. And allow the new Clerk of the course and team to add quality to the event.

velocemitch

3,542 posts

201 months

Saturday 17th September
quotequote all
thepawbroon said:
ArnageWRC said:
Three Shires Stages planned for this weekend was postponed last week....and I'm sure you can guess why.....

However, they can't get a new date, so sadly they have had to cancel. All that time, effort organising for nothing.....
It's a shame - I was due to codrive one of the course cars and was looking forward to it.

It's the right course of action though, they'll gain a lot of positive brownie points for not running this weekend, which will shore up the public support. And allow the new Clerk of the course and team to add quality to the event.
I was in exactly the same situation with the Ilkley Jubilee Historic. We had just a few hours to make the decision. Months of work potential down the pan, but it would not have reflected well on the sport running a road event through the countryside that Sunday. Luckily we have found a suitable date, without too many clashes.

boholoblanka

1,464 posts

119 months

Tuesday 20th September
quotequote all
Has Formeaux just received the chop from M-Sport??

Drumroll

3,285 posts

101 months

Tuesday 20th September
quotequote all
boholoblanka said:
Has Formeaux just received the chop from M-Sport??
Not sure, different outlets have a different take on it.

Maxdecel

558 posts

14 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Trackrod Historic Cup SS1 Claimed some scalps Milner engine blown weepinghttps://results.djames.org.uk/results/retirements....
Edwards 17+secs up in 11 miles ! https://results.djames.org.uk/results/overall.php?...