Cheap BMW Z4 3.0

Cheap BMW Z4 3.0

Author
Discussion

greggy50

Original Poster:

5,013 posts

146 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Afternoon all,

Following 12 months in my company DS DS5 I have had an itch for something more exciting. However due to saving for a house I only had a budget of about £3k to spend

With this in mind I started looking at MX5's (wanted a convertible) however I realised looking online very ropey Z4 2.2's could be sourced within my budget. However earlier today I stumbled upon a 53 Plate BMW Z4 up for £2,995 it was a 3.0 SE Manual with 117k miles and appeared to be very clean a quick phone call with the seller confirmed that the car sounded mechanically sound with great service history and recent tyres and taking advantage of the st weather I put in a cheeky bid of £2,650 which was accepted smile

The only issue the car has is a temperamental roof however searching the forums beforehand I have found a local guy who can fix the motors and relocate them for £100 so I will be getting this booked in ASAP.

Few pictures below (pick the car up on Sunday)








Shnozz

21,767 posts

226 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Cracking car for the money! So much better than the MX5 PH car of everything.

I remember being lent a colleague's company car Z3 back in the day whilst he was on holiday. Hateful thing that I left parked up in the work car park after a weekend as it was so dire. Then along came the Z4 and my old man was keen so went to test drive one with him, expecting it to be equally turd. Massively surprised at what a great car it was and that was only the 2.5. The 3 litre must be a very sweet car.

Enjoy, and hopefully gives you many pain free miles. Would be my car of choice for <£3.5k also.

SiT

892 posts

156 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
That is an absolute BARGAIN! I love that these are such good value, a manual, rear wheel drive, straight Six BMW for such little cash.

Looks like you bought a good one, much planned? Friend of mine had one when they very first came out and it was an excellent 2 seater, roll on the sunshine!!

Si

parabolica

5,298 posts

139 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Very nice. I'm possibly having to downsize from my 640i soon and these are the top of the list. Lovely looking things.

daimlerv8

2,138 posts

35 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
I think that I'm correct in suggesting that these have the all alloy straight 6?

Refresh the cooling system as a priority job,radiator,waterpump,thermostat and any/all suspect hoses.

Once over-heated,the head gasket is liable to blow,the steel head bolts then pull the threads out of the block and the engine is toast.......

shalmaneser

4,068 posts

150 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Amazing value - although I must admit I'm not a fan of the alloys but easily sorted for a few quid!

Gameface

12,860 posts

32 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Why don't I ever stumble across cars like this???

Lovely cheap ride you've got yourself there.

Joey Deacon

2,325 posts

131 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
These are such good value at the moment, I am sure they will start to creep up in value soon.

I was looking at cheap Boxsters a while ago and soon realised I could get a much newer Z4 for less money than an early 2.5 Boxster.

If I had somewhere to park it I would get one as a summer fun car.

Shnozz

21,767 posts

226 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
These are such good value at the moment, I am sure they will start to creep up in value soon.

I was looking at cheap Boxsters a while ago and soon realised I could get a much newer Z4 for less money than an early 2.5 Boxster.

If I had somewhere to park it I would get one as a summer fun car.
I would expect the Z4 to be a far cheaper proposition to run too at shed money.

greggy50

Original Poster:

5,013 posts

146 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Shnozz said:
Cracking car for the money! So much better than the MX5 PH car of everything.

I remember being lent a colleague's company car Z3 back in the day whilst he was on holiday. Hateful thing that I left parked up in the work car park after a weekend as it was so dire. Then along came the Z4 and my old man was keen so went to test drive one with him, expecting it to be equally turd. Massively surprised at what a great car it was and that was only the 2.5. The 3 litre must be a very sweet car.

Enjoy, and hopefully gives you many pain free miles. Would be my car of choice for <£3.5k also.
Thanks a lot &#128578;

I have never drove one before and this is my first try of a rwd convertible but I am sure I will like it!

I honestly think for the money you can’t go wrong the engines are pretty strong and it even had a decent spec inside with heated and electric seats and air con etc.

Will post my intial thoughts once I pick it up on Sunday

greggy50

Original Poster:

5,013 posts

146 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Shnozz said:
Joey Deacon said:
These are such good value at the moment, I am sure they will start to creep up in value soon.

I was looking at cheap Boxsters a while ago and soon realised I could get a much newer Z4 for less money than an early 2.5 Boxster.

If I had somewhere to park it I would get one as a summer fun car.
I would expect the Z4 to be a far cheaper proposition to run too at shed money.
Agreed

I did consider upping the budget and getting an early Boxter S but a decent one would be 3x what I paid for this and with a lot more potentially to cause a large maintenance bill!

They probably drive a tad nicer but I feel these are under valued in the current market when things like a leggy 350z convertible are still £6k

Prinny

1,388 posts

54 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Congrats! Looks like you’ll have a good summer. Sounds like a steal at that price too.

I do like these, and the styling seems to get better every year (or maybe I’m just Bangle biased).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you’ve picked it up. Remember, if you’ve heated seats, and a volcanic heater (you do), when it’s not raining, the hood must be down.

Them’s the rules! wink

MrB.

373 posts

141 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
I replaced my Z3M with a 3.0i Se (I know, I know) and as much as I liked it, I never loved it. BUT...... I think that was my fault. My roof failed (£700) and it had weird steering (an update I never had done), plus it never felt as sharp coming from the ‘3.

HOWEVER, I wish I had another now as I think I’d appreciate it more. The engine was sublime, refinement was superb (apart from the runflats), and I loved the styling. You’ve had a bargain with that one, and I hope you enjoy it.

Jakg

2,402 posts

123 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Never thought about one of these before, but not I'm looking at the classifieds...

Sticks.

5,916 posts

206 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
I've had mine 14 years now. They're not without their issues, but fewer than most, and it still puts a smile on my face.

Personally I think the 107 alloys are great, being unique to the Z4 afaik.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

Nick

Welshbeef

40,649 posts

153 months

Friday 9th March 2018
quotequote all
Sticks. said:
I've had mine 14 years now. They're not without their issues, but fewer than most, and it still puts a smile on my face.

Personally I think the 107 alloys are great, being unique to the Z4 afaik.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

Nick
14 year ownership now that’s serious going.
Depreciation per year will be irrelevant plus I’d wager bought from New too so again known history.

Sticks.

5,916 posts

206 months

Saturday 10th March 2018
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
14 year ownership now that’s serious going.
Depreciation per year will be irrelevant plus I’d wager bought from New too so again known history.
Yes, from new, and on 25k now, nearly.

briang9

2,389 posts

115 months

Saturday 10th March 2018
quotequote all
looks like a bargain, good luck with it thumbup

Mr Tidy

11,344 posts

82 months

Saturday 10th March 2018
quotequote all
Bargain OP!

Head to z4forum and you'll find people who can sort a lethargic roof motor for sensible money.


Gameface

12,860 posts

32 months

Saturday 10th March 2018
quotequote all
Sticks. said:
Yes, from new, and on 25k now, nearly.
Sell it to me for the same price as the OP paid for his...