Hillclimb Project Type R EP3

Hillclimb Project Type R EP3

Author
Discussion

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
After several years of using my only road car on track, I finally realised that I needed a dedicated car for hillclimbs / sprints and track days. All on a strict budget, and a Civic Type R EP3 seemed to tick a lot of boxes.

After a bit of looking (there’s some nasty Civics out there) I decided that a car on the other side of the country would be ideal. A long train journey and pot luck really. Shouldn’t have worried too much, and all went to plan. Civic has obviously been well used, but tidy and has a helical LSD fitted, which is needed for what I want to use it for.



However, the exhaust was not what I was looking for, so LOUD, and that was changed for a standard back box. Vast improvement and no more need for ear plugs. There’s quite a lot of tired suspension, so the rear ARB was changed for a JDM spec one and all of the drop links were replaced.



The car really needs coilovers, but decided to run with the eibachs for 2018 and also use Yoko AD08s for the first season. Some winter upgrades needed when the budget allows.

2018 needed to be a learning year, but the car has loads of potential, especially at events where there’s a two litre class. I’m pretty surprised how high the VTEC kicks in and that’s a big limitation. Found myself in between gears several times on the hills. A Hondata map would cure that and is much needed. Also would really like to improve the seating, but that’s a pretty big step as harness and rear cage would be needed as well.

Have run three events at Wiscombe, the last being a disaster and showed that I need to get the gear change sorted. New short shifter on order (since June!). First ever event in the wet was “interesting”…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYvC12b2Nw



Gurston in June was fun, but suffered from being miles off VTEC in parts. Had a great track day and then sprint at Caste Combe, where the car was vaguely competitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3tgWWXX7T4&fe...

One last sprint at Combe in October, and then the MOT straight after. That may be a defining moment.. The main aim is to keep the budget under control and keep it fun.


sainz92

32 posts

147 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
Great driving in those vids mate, that sound never gets old! I'm contemplating getting one of these, I had an ep2 a few years back and loved it so I think I need to experience the full fat version at some point! Looking forward to future updates!

LordHaveMurci

12,056 posts

172 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
Shame I'm no longer competing, would have been in the A3 together at Wis!

What times are you seeing there?

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
LordHaveMurci said:
Shame I'm no longer competing, would have been in the A3 together at Wis!

What times are you seeing there?
I did a 48.3 at the last meeting, but there's an easy 47 in the car as it is. I'm the biggest performance limitation! With a hill friendly map, tyres and the suspension sorted, it should be going a lot quicker again.

Butter Face

30,863 posts

163 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
Nice little project mate! Any under bonnet mods?

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Thursday 20th September 2018
quotequote all
Butter Face said:
Nice little project mate! Any under bonnet mods?
There's a K&N Typhoon air filter, which sounds nice but will probably do &(^% all! The LSD makes a difference, and it's meant to have a lightened flywheel fitted.

Darren1101

99 posts

152 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
Interesting. Where are you based? Wiscombe is only 10 miles from me and looking to get in to some form of competition. Always watched hill climbs at Werrington in Launceston, and growing up my neighbour was Mark Shillabeer.

NicJ5

509 posts

90 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
To add longevity to your fun, I'd highly recommend a clockwise baffled oil sump. These cars can suffer especially when under heavy braking and hard cornering, on track/climbs etc.

Hondata will help keep you in VTEC. Speak to CPL Racing as they have a map for air filter and/or cat back mods only. Ideal if you're on a budget. About £415 IIRC.

Check the VTEC Solenoid is healthy as may also contribute to late VTEC engagement.

On Facebook, Hass Hassan of Honda Parts UK is a well known breaker of EP3's, mostly breaks modded cars so can pick up decent aftermarket parts at a good price.

Stay on top of the oil and filter, 3k-4k if solely using for sprints etc. Maybe closer intervals to be safe.

Fast Road Set Up would help massively, you need adjustable rear camber arms and front camber bolts to do this. Decent Honda specialist will do the alignment for you or ask anywhere with a Hunter System to do your measurements. -1° camber on each corner is a good starting point.

If you go lower with coilovers, add roll centre adjusters and steering rack raiser to the package.

Calipers are only single pot, look at upgrading these. Brembos from the Megane RS fit. Coupled with some RBF600/660 they will be spot on.

Look after the oil and the engine is bulletproof!

Hope some of that helps. Keep us updated with your progress biggrin

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
Darren1101 said:
Interesting. Where are you based? Wiscombe is only 10 miles from me and looking to get in to some form of competition. Always watched hill climbs at Werrington in Launceston, and growing up my neighbour was Mark Shillabeer.
I’m up in Somerset, so a little bit of trek. Well worth it though. You can give it a go in almost anything, recommended. I fancy a trip to werrington in 2019.

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
NicJ5 said:
To add longevity to your fun, I'd highly recommend a clockwise baffled oil sump. These cars can suffer especially when under heavy braking and hard cornering, on track/climbs etc.

Hondata will help keep you in VTEC. Speak to CPL Racing as they have a map for air filter and/or cat back mods only. Ideal if you're on a budget. About £415 IIRC.

Check the VTEC Solenoid is healthy as may also contribute to late VTEC engagement.

On Facebook, Hass Hassan of Honda Parts UK is a well known breaker of EP3's, mostly breaks modded cars so can pick up decent aftermarket parts at a good price.

Stay on top of the oil and filter, 3k-4k if solely using for sprints etc. Maybe closer intervals to be safe.

Fast Road Set Up would help massively, you need adjustable rear camber arms and front camber bolts to do this. Decent Honda specialist will do the alignment for you or ask anywhere with a Hunter System to do your measurements. -1° camber on each corner is a good starting point.

If you go lower with coilovers, add roll centre adjusters and steering rack raiser to the package.

Calipers are only single pot, look at upgrading these. Brembos from the Megane RS fit. Coupled with some RBF600/660 they will be spot on.

Look after the oil and the engine is bulletproof!

Hope some of that helps. Keep us updated with your progress biggrin
Thanks. I had always assumed that a baffle wouldn’t be needed for short timed runs, will investigate.

Oil will be changed regularly. The CPL map is something that I’ve looked at before and may go that route over the winter (budget permitting).

I did get the car set up before the season, great service from Bridgwater college. But does need a total sort really.

Thanks for all the other bits!

Darren1101

99 posts

152 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
df76 said:
I’m up in Somerset, so a little bit of trek. Well worth it though. You can give it a go in almost anything, recommended. I fancy a trip to werrington in 2019.
Certainly makes trips to Combe easier though. I’m about 90 mins from there or 2 hours to Thurxton.

Might have to have a good look at it over the winter. Hopefully I haven’t yet carried out any modifications that would be against regs.

I’ve got a set of Megane Brembos of an R26 I’m braking if you’re tempted...

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Friday 21st September 2018
quotequote all
Darren1101 said:
Certainly makes trips to Combe easier though. I’m about 90 mins from there or 2 hours to Thurxton.

Might have to have a good look at it over the winter. Hopefully I haven’t yet carried out any modifications that would be against regs.

I’ve got a set of Megane Brembos of an R26 I’m braking if you’re tempted...
Very similar distance to wiscombe, gurston and Combe. Should also give charmouth a go, and clay pigeon is close as well. Lots of options.

I’m pretty good with the blue book rules now, so happy to answer questions if you have them.

Ok for brakes at the moment thanks.

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Tuesday 25th September 2018
quotequote all
Bit of rust checking.. MOT just booked for later in the month. Chassis looks pretty good, but the bumper bar is toast!


Facian

56 posts

140 months

Thursday 27th September 2018
quotequote all
What is the issue with the gearchange out of curiosity? I always remember mine being fantastic, and it only deteriorated when the clutch was on its way out. No slipping, it just got progressively harder to slot into gear during high-rev (~limiter) changes.

I found one of the engine dampers to help a little with stopping the engine/box rocking too much also.

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Thursday 27th September 2018
quotequote all
Facian said:
What is the issue with the gearchange out of curiosity? I always remember mine being fantastic, and it only deteriorated when the clutch was on its way out. No slipping, it just got progressively harder to slot into gear during high-rev (~limiter) changes.

I found one of the engine dampers to help a little with stopping the engine/box rocking too much also.
I can get gears, just not necessarily the one i wanted! A particular issue of changing down to second and actually getting fourth. I've already got an uprated gearbox mount on and will do the engine mounts as well.

Facian

56 posts

140 months

Friday 28th September 2018
quotequote all
df76 said:
Facian said:
What is the issue with the gearchange out of curiosity? I always remember mine being fantastic, and it only deteriorated when the clutch was on its way out. No slipping, it just got progressively harder to slot into gear during high-rev (~limiter) changes.

I found one of the engine dampers to help a little with stopping the engine/box rocking too much also.
I can get gears, just not necessarily the one i wanted! A particular issue of changing down to second and actually getting fourth. I've already got an uprated gearbox mount on and will do the engine mounts as well.
Ah ok, hopefully just something a bit soggy/worn/out of alignment then!

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
MOT time for the Civic, and passed after a couple of issues..

Turns out that the exhaust was fitted with a decat, and had no chance of an emission pass. A Japspeed 200cpi sports cat came to the rescue (plus a new O2 sensor) and it cruised through that part of the retest. I had my doubts, was quite a cheap solution, but really no issue in the end.

The suspension was well worn and moving about at the front, so...



Not ideal timing, but made the most of a sale deal. Impressed by the quality and the difference on the road is just ridiculous. Will need different springs at the rear eventually, but will test them first.

Also took the opportunity to fit engine mount inserts. So everything just feels tighter and might improve the gear change.

Last event of the year at Combe on Saturday, so will be interesting to see how it goes and weather looks perfect. Already looking forward to 2019 now as well.

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Monday 22nd October 2018
quotequote all
A very foggy Castle Combe turned into a beautiful day on Saturday. Ended about a second away from where I hoped, and a bit outgunned by turbo cars and some nice engines. Still, should have been a bit quicker. Negative earth lead also jumped off on the last corner of the last run, which meant I lost power steering as I turned into Camp. Not ideal and scrubbed that time. Best run of the day here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXh9E6coaxM&t=...

Car about to go into hibernation for a few months, but some simple mods planned for 2019. In no particular order:

1. Proper "sticky" tyres for speed events. The AD08s give too much away.
2. Some decent safety kit. Think a seat and harness would also give more support and confidence.
3. Hondata. The vtec definitely needs to be lowered, and a little more power would be a plus.

df76

Original Poster:

3,722 posts

281 months

Sunday 27th January 2019
quotequote all
Not much happening over the winter, car is off the road. Being a Honda it starts every time of course. Roll on March.

The short shifter that I ordered back in June arrived out of the blue. What an @rse to fit. Should be simple but sorting a couple of gear cable mounts verges on the impossible, proper design flaw. Managed after much pain, it's a total improvement in the gear change. Hoping that's sorted.

Had a test fitting of a race seat. With some road Schroth road legal belts. Should work.


Butter Face

30,863 posts

163 months

Sunday 27th January 2019
quotequote all
What short shift did you buy mate?