Minardi M198...............

Minardi M198...............

Author
Discussion

poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Following its first public outing this weekend in Chicago I thought I ought to make a thread really......



1998 Minardi F1, Chassis 01, In 1999 test car livery with some proto 99 aero. It is totally as it was when the Minardi team finished with it in 1999 including all electronics, software, hydraulics, engine, gearbox etc. etc. It's so original if we bolted the 98 aero back on it then it would pass scrutineering for any race in 98 laugh



Motor is the original Cosworth JD V10 with all the bits one would expect in place. It's still built as a race engine so is nigh on 17K RPM capable if required.





Original wheel still in use biggrin :



Original Dynamics dampers rebuilt and still used in anger front and rear.


Period Fondmetal mag wheels crack tested and refurbed. On Carbon/Carbons for brakes obviously! Currently doing the work to put it on modern Pirellis so we can see how much quicker they make it!


MM STEP 6 electronics. On the code from the Canadian GP that year.


Hydraulics pack. Throttle, Gear Barrel and clutch are controlled via Moogs with an engine driven hydraulic pump. Operating pressure is circa 200bar.


Being a completely original car in requires a bit of know how and effort to run. Off board heaters, hyds flush packs, jump batteries and fill rigs are the order of the day. It's a very well engineered car though so running it isn't an effort unlike some. Huge credit to the Minardi team for engineering something that is so well put together in the first place, we haven't needed to change a thing on it to run it today, unlike some!



It's an absolute privileged to keep this noisy bit of history in working order and really looking forward to getting it out as many times as possible this year smile


Scrump

8,649 posts

113 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Thanks for the new thread.

You said you are doing the work to put it on new Pirellis. This implies it is more than a simple wheel and tyre change, so what does it entail?

AussieFozzy

129 posts

83 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Magnificent.

Can i have a lend of it for the weekend please?

poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Scrump said:
Thanks for the new thread.

You said you are doing the work to put it on new Pirellis. This implies it is more than a simple wheel and tyre change, so what does it entail?
Same wheels but the Pirelli has a stiffer side wall and greater absolute grip so some changes to the third, ARBs and spring rates will likely be required to get the best from them. This car was developed around the grooved Bridgestone originally so a modern full slick provides a big performance increase.

AussieFozzy

129 posts

83 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
poppopbangbang said:
Same wheels but the Pirelli has a stiffer side wall and greater absolute grip so some changes to the third, ARBs and spring rates will likely be required to get the best from them. This car was developed around the grooved Bridgestone originally so a modern full slick provides a big performance increase.
When you say modern Pirelli's would that be the modern spec F1 tire or simply a regular Pirelli slick? I assume the Pirelli slicks that are available off the shelf are not anywhere close to the secret sauce they use for an F1 tire. I would be curious to know how different they really are.

poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
AussieFozzy said:
When you say modern Pirelli's would that be the modern spec F1 tire or simply a regular Pirelli slick? I assume the Pirelli slicks that are available off the shelf are not anywhere close to the secret sauce they use for an F1 tire. I would be curious to know how different they really are.
2016 season spec. These are still being produced for the team demo cars etc. that run the pre 2017 wheel sizes but are subject to various agreements before it's possible to purchase them.

AussieFozzy

129 posts

83 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
poppopbangbang said:
2016 season spec. These are still being produced for the team demo cars etc. that run the pre 2017 wheel sizes but are subject to various agreements before it's possible to purchase them.
Makes sense. Even if they are an old spec i can see why they would try to stop them from ending up in another manufacturers R&D lab. Do they still need to go back once used? And have you ever just strapped a set on an old Astra for fun?

stuthemong

1,834 posts

172 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Thanks for posting.

What's the component lining the two front shocks?

The linkage across the front looks like an arb, but the pivot point looks like it's attached to some sort of damper, is that variable to control amoint of arb stiffness/shock absorbing across the front axle?

Stu

CedricN

523 posts

100 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Great thread, the more technical details the better smile How do you communicate with the ECU, did they use some kind of in house software or of the shelf?

Tekno

101 posts

56 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Well done to you sir for keeping this beast alive.

stew-STR160

7,826 posts

193 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
One of the things that drew me to F1, way more than the lack of racing obviously, was the engineering of the things. Thanks for sharing the pics of it bare.

Gary29

2,792 posts

54 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Always fascinates me seeing F1 cars close up and stripped back like this, so many little details and clever engineering that you never normally get to see.

Thanks for sharing, and keep the pics / videos coming, I could study them all day.

seefarr

783 posts

141 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
poppopbangbang said:
Throttle, Gear Barrel and clutch are controlled via Moogs...
That must make it quite tricky to drive.




But seriously: I can understand the clutch and gears but why the throttle? I would have thought an electronic throttle would be lighter and would be just as controllable / responsive?

Thanks for another brilliant thread. thumbup

Dinoboy

1,894 posts

172 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Love it!

Rubins4

448 posts

80 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Holy christ.

What a fantastic machine.

I've always fancied an old DTM car (E30 M3 in Warsteiner livery, anyone?), but this eclipses a DTM car as the ultimate track car.

lufbramatt

3,926 posts

89 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
Another amazing thread, superb stuff. Thanks for posting the pics, could stare at the engineering all day.

poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
CedricN said:
Great thread, the more technical details the better smile How do you communicate with the ECU, did they use some kind of in house software or of the shelf?
It's all via the original Marelli Vision software (so 32bit XP only) with the original Minardi layouts/code which in turn communicates via a pair of specific Marelli interfaces (one for engine and one for gearbox) which connect to an external jump battery that then busses comms, power and a few other things (like remote throttle joystick etc.) down a single umbilical to the car.


poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
stuthe said:
Thanks for posting.

What's the component lining the two front shocks?

The linkage across the front looks like an arb, but the pivot point looks like it's attached to some sort of damper, is that variable to control amoint of arb stiffness/shock absorbing across the front axle?

Stu
The linkage across the front is an ARB, it operates in twist and the various holes within it allow some tuning of stiffness by altering the moment on the centre of the ARB. Attached to that are the pull rods to the rockers with the third in the centre, the third is essentially a bump stop with various possible combinations of rubbers and packers to alter the rate and total allowed ride height reduction under aero.

poppopbangbang

Original Poster:

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
A few slow fly bys from Chicago - https://youtu.be/ICNx5lXVo6w

There was a gentlemans agreement on a 100kph limit hence it not being anywhere near lit! laugh

Podie

45,819 posts

230 months

Tuesday 11th June 2019
quotequote all
cloud9 Love these threads