Does anyone know an Anti Covid vaxxer?

Does anyone know an Anti Covid vaxxer?

Author
Discussion

shost

Original Poster:

810 posts

107 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I'm a healthcare professional. I frequent twitter for the usual multitude of reasons but find the number and of ferocity anti covid vaxxers/covid deniers really quite alarming.

I'm sure some of these accounts are bots and a few just odd balls.

But I don't know anyone, at least anongst my circle or who would admit at least.

Really curious to see is there anyone on this forum who thinks its all a hoax or over response or does anyone know someone well. What has been their logic? Have they changed their mind or doubled down?

I don't want to get into heated arguments, though this is PH afterall, but at least I assume that most posters here are actual people.

Edited by shost on Thursday 25th February 12:49

Vandenberg

1,797 posts

97 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Just the one, an ex-colleague of mine thinks there is a massive conspiracy about the vaccine, and he will not be filling his body with mind control vaccine.

Funny, he is happy to fill his lungs with chinese vape juice and snort fat lines of posh.
I only keep him on facebook for the comedy value, its not worth engaging with him as he has the critical thing skills of a pond snail.

Yesterday he announced he had booked 2 weeks in Thailand and was going to the Drs to get vaccinated for Yellow fever, tetanus and hepatitis A.

You couldn't make it up.

Stig

11,659 posts

248 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Have you seen this thread: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...
or this one: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

I believe the concern is not that CV19 exist, but the 'risks' associated with taking a new vaccine with no idea of future side effects, whereas the vaccines (and longer term health ramifications) for the above diseases are well established.


Edited by Stig on Thursday 25th February 13:02

red22

127 posts

132 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
As you are a healthcare professional shouldn't you be more concerned with the amount of NHS refusing it or requiring staff to have the track and trace app but yelling them to turn if off at work? Also why bother with a vaccine that up to 70% effect, do you own anything that is only works 2/3 of the time.

Not being argumentative just interested. Apart from the hardcore that won't touch any sort of vaccine, it still leaves a massive amount of people who don't want it. I wouldn't have had it, but got offered the Pfizer one so did.

Munter

30,455 posts

205 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
red22 said:
As you are a healthcare professional shouldn't you be more concerned with the amount of NHS refusing it or requiring staff to have the track and trace app but yelling them to turn if off at work? Also why bother with a vaccine that up to 70% effect, do you own anything that is only works 2/3 of the time.

Not being argumentative just interested. Apart from the hardcore that won't touch any sort of vaccine, it still leaves a massive amount of people who don't want it. I wouldn't have had it, but got offered the Pfizer one so did.
100% of cars fail. Do you own a car?

You're not dealing with that though. You're dealing with the probability of a car failing on any given day. So you do things to make sure it's less likely.

Now we're dealing with the probability of virus transmission in any given interaction between two people causing hospitalisation or death. Which can be reduced by at least 2/3 with a vaccine IF the virus is there, which will be less likely, if more people have the vaccine, and defeat any infection before they have contact where they could pass it on.

But as is proved time and again on these threads. People don't get probability.

red22

127 posts

132 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I apologise for my views.

Louis Balfour

21,010 posts

186 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
shost said:
I'm a healthcare professional. I frequent twitter for the usual multitude of reasons but find the number and of ferocity anti covid vaxxers/covid deniers really quite alarming.

I'm sure some of these accounts are bots and a few just odd balls.

But I don't know anyone, at least anongst my circle or who would admit at least.

Really curious to see is there anyone on this forum who thinks its all a hoax or over response or does anyone know someone well. What has been their logic? Have they changed their mind or doubled down?

I don't want to get into heated arguments, though this is PH afterall, but at least I assume that most posters here are actual people.

Edited by shost on Thursday 25th February 12:49
I am intrigued as to why so many medics globally are declining the vaccine.



Pete102

1,667 posts

150 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Munter said:
100% of cars fail. Do you own a car?

You're not dealing with that though. You're dealing with the probability of a car failing on any given day. So you do things to make sure it's less likely.

Now we're dealing with the probability of virus transmission in any given interaction between two people causing hospitalisation or death. Which can be reduced by at least 2/3 with a vaccine IF the virus is there, which will be less likely, if more people have the vaccine, and defeat any infection before they have contact where they could pass it on.

But as is proved time and again on these threads. People don't get probability.
If you're going to disparage people on their lack of knowledge regarding probability you should state that in terms of risk its the probability (likelihood) of a car failing on any given day in a catastrophic manner (consequence).

Your vaccine analogy is correct, if a little simplistic - Its the likelihood of virus transmission (which incorporates a hole host of variables) leading to hospitalisation or fatality (consequence). Interestingly enough, when we look to reduce risk its done primarily on the 'likelihood' element and not the 'consequence element' but in the case of vaccines its working to mitigate the consequence from fatality / hospitality down to illness / feeling stty. This is what reduces the risk profile.

Those that choose not to take the vaccine have exactly the same likelihood of catching it (assuming no reduction in transmissibility) but a much increased consequence severity. Adding to this, those that work in healthcare environments have a much increased likelihood of catching the virus, hence higher risk.

Smiljan

8,760 posts

161 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
red22 said:
As you are a healthcare professional shouldn't you be more concerned with the amount of NHS refusing it or requiring staff to have the track and trace app but yelling them to turn if off at work? Also why bother with a vaccine that up to 70% effect, do you own anything that is only works 2/3 of the time.

Not being argumentative just interested. Apart from the hardcore that won't touch any sort of vaccine, it still leaves a massive amount of people who don't want it. I wouldn't have had it, but got offered the Pfizer one so did.
Maybe I've misunderstood your post but you don't see the point of the vaccine and have concerns that there are some rumours on social media that some NHS staff haven't had it. Given this you still had it?

Strikes me as a little muddled.

Sophisticated Sarah

13,283 posts

133 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I know quite a few medics who don’t want it. Mainly because they’re younger and worried about long term side effects.

I’ve only met one person who denies covid 19 exists. Most I know accept it exists and is either a) as bad as made out or b) over exaggerated.


Drive it fix it repeat

819 posts

15 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
red22 said:
Also why bother with a vaccine that up to 70% effect, do you own anything that is only works 2/3 of the time.
Not since I got rid of my renaults laugh

ThumperMc

1,058 posts

150 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
red22 said:
As you are a healthcare professional shouldn't you be more concerned with the amount of NHS refusing it or requiring staff to have the track and trace app but yelling them to turn if off at work?
In an effort to educate... You do understand why though don't you...

My wife turns hers off as she’s spending 12 hours treating COVID people but.... wearing scrubs, a coverall, a pinnie, whatever spec mask is needed, a visor, hairnet, 3 pairs of gloves (4 if she’s doing a blood procedure).

What do you think would happen if she left it turned on?...

Edited by ThumperMc on Thursday 25th February 13:39

Louis Balfour

21,010 posts

186 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Sophisticated Sarah said:
I know quite a few medics who don’t want it. Mainly because they’re younger and worried about long term side effects.

I’ve only met one person who denies covid 19 exists. Most I know accept it exists and is either a) as bad as made out or b) over exaggerated.
The last doctor I spoke to about it acknowledged its existence but thought the furore surrounding it was overblown.


Over over under steer

525 posts

87 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I don’t know of any who won’t have it. But I am lucky to have a group of normal well educated friends and family. It’s the Facebook reading mouth breathers that love to spin a conspiracy theory.

Smiljan

8,760 posts

161 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Probably more social media inflated rubbish. A mate of a mate who works in an NHS admin office posts on facebook her unfounded conspiracy theory and suddenly it's inflated into "NHS workers refuse unsafe vaccine"


Red9zero

1,101 posts

21 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I know someone who was vehemently against the vaccine, so much so that when his daughter (health care worker) was offered it, she refused it, as she believed her fathers hype. His opinion then changed into the Oxford vaccine being safe (as British), while the Pfizer wasn't (as foreign). He then got offered a vaccine early (due to health) and seeing an opportunity for a Facebook boast, had it. Luckily, everyone else I know is relatively normal laugh

Sophisticated Sarah

13,283 posts

133 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Louis Balfour said:
Sophisticated Sarah said:
I know quite a few medics who don’t want it. Mainly because they’re younger and worried about long term side effects.

I’ve only met one person who denies covid 19 exists. Most I know accept it exists and is either a) as bad as made out or b) over exaggerated.
The last doctor I spoke to about it acknowledged its existence but thought the furore surrounding it was overblown.
My wife’s colleagues think the same (A&E). Isolation is often rammed but that’s only because any symptoms of covid means the patient stays there until they get a negative test (then probably catch it while in isolation!). Isolation means the Mini-ward is isolated from the rest of A&E rather than individual isolation beds.

Sophisticated Sarah

13,283 posts

133 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Red9zero said:
I know someone who was vehemently against the vaccine, so much so that when his daughter (health care worker) was offered it, she refused it, as she believed her fathers hype. His opinion then changed into the Oxford vaccine being safe (as British), while the Pfizer wasn't (as foreign). He then got offered a vaccine early (due to health) and seeing an opportunity for a Facebook boast, had it. Luckily, everyone else I know is relatively normal laugh
I think it’s one of those where if you’re in the vulnerable category, have the jab. It’s not a nice thing to catch and can be deadly for the frail and vulnerable.

red22

127 posts

132 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Thank you for educating me.



crofty1984

15,087 posts

168 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
I have a friend that's not one for conspiracy theories and the like, and I'd not go so far to say he thinks it's a conspiracy. But he's very much on the side of the cure being far, far worse than the disease. He's absolutely furious at the way things have been handled "I'd have stacked the bodies of the old in the streets, rather than cripple the futures of generations". He's anti Vaxx on this particular issue, but more for not having failth in its efficacy/risks than a general "control" issue.