logbook query

Author
Discussion

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
my partner is coming to the end of her finance agreement with her car .

its been a duration of four years.

when she purchased the car she never recieved a logbook just the small green slip.

now the finance has come to a end we want to apply for the logbook.

my question is , if she built up speeding tickets and parking tickets will they come to light if she registers the car in her name

talksthetorque

8,866 posts

99 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
okenemem said:
my partner is coming to the end of her finance agreement with her car .

its been a duration of four years.

when she purchased the car she never recieved a logbook just the small green slip.

now the finance has come to a end we want to apply for the logbook.

my question is , if she built up speeding tickets and parking tickets will they come to light if she registers the car in her name
coffee

What sort of finance was it?

The small green slip is for her to prove the car will be registered in her name, but the paperwork hasn't come through.
If the dealer who sold her the car didn't process the transfer of keeper with the DVLA then you might be about to hit some issues. But it might be something to do with the finance.


okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Intresting you say that as she said the dealer has the logbook but I was thinking she's wrong as I've never heard of that kind of finance .

You say issues , what kind of issues?

jonwm

1,786 posts

78 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
A local garage does this in my village.

Seen it with a few family members.

They self finance the car, only never change the v5 so when they come to the end of the agreement they often swap them into another car and start again, the car they have come out of still has the original owner and never shows as another keeper. Happened to both my father in law and mother in law, they even kept the spare key on my FIL"s car.

C350Akra

8,799 posts

244 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Couple of questions:

Was the car new or used?

What sort of finance was it?

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
it was a used car , and its not pcp

No ideas for a name

957 posts

50 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
okenemem said:
my partner is coming to the end of her finance agreement with her car .

its been a duration of four years.

when she purchased the car she never recieved a logbook just the small green slip.

now the finance has come to a end we want to apply for the logbook.

my question is , if she built up speeding tickets and parking tickets will they come to light if she registers the car in her name
This is really odd. Unless it was leased why would your partner not be the RK of her own car?

Why was she waiting until the end of the finance? Not sure what the relevance of that is for the issuance of the V5.

About 4 years ago, she should have realised the new V5 hadn't been issued and got on to the DVLA.
I would just get on with this now - DVLA will write to the previous keeper who hopefully no longer have an interest in the vehicle. If they don't object, she will get a V5 issued in her name.

How has the tax (VED) worked over the last four years?



okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
she wasnt waiting to the end of the finance , she thought that this was the way it was meant to be.

she used to tax it online with the small green slip

we are considering getting the logbook but this goes back to the original post , basically asking if any old parking fines or tickets from the four years of ownership will come once the logbook is recieved

No ideas for a name

957 posts

50 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
okenemem said:
....
we are considering getting the logbook but this goes back to the original post , basically asking if any old parking fines or tickets from the four years of ownership will come once the logbook is recieved
Not taking the p, but surely she only has to worry about historical parking fines or tickets if she has commited any offences.
I am 100% sure I know if I have committed any offences in the last four years regardless of any paperwork turning up.

It sounds like she is worrying about nothing, or is expecting some misdemenours to catch up with her.

If she dosen't get the V5 in her name, it is going to be quite hard (though not impossible) to sell in the future.

talksthetorque

8,866 posts

99 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I'm now wondering if she got in to a "logbook loan" deal with the car when she bought it.
you can loan against your car with one of these but this is the first time I've heard of it being doen to buy a car.

Type the Registration number in to here to see if it's MOT'd and Taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

( is the tax £0 on this car?)


okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
Not taking the p, but surely she only has to worry about historical parking fines or tickets if she has commited any offences.
I am 100% sure I know if I have committed any offences in the last four years regardless of any paperwork turning up.

It sounds like she is worrying about nothing, or is expecting some misdemenours to catch up with her.

If she dosen't get the V5 in her name, it is going to be quite hard (though not impossible) to sell in the future.
shes not worried i am , e.g she doesnt know what average speed check is

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
I'm now wondering if she got in to a "logbook loan" deal with the car when she bought it.
you can loan against your car with one of these but this is the first time I've heard of it being doen to buy a car.

Type the Registration number in to here to see if it's MOT'd and Taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

( is the tax £0 on this car?)
i dont think its logbook loan as we have small green slip , and we have been taxing car for four years

sixor8

3,852 posts

232 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
You can't use the green slip for 4 years to buy VED. Presumably you have been using the VED renewal reminder letters, which means that a V5c was issued to your address at some point. Lost in post or accidentally thrown away by you perhaps?

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
sixor8 said:
You can't use the green slip for 4 years to buy VED. Presumably you have been using the VED renewal reminder letters, which means that a V5c was issued to your address at some point. Lost in post or accidentally thrown away by you perhaps?
we didnt get renewal letters of course you can use the green slip

i quote "To tax your vehicle online go to www.gov.uk/tax-disc - you'll need one of the following: 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11) 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C) Or, if you've just bought the vehicle , the 12 digit reference number on your new keeper supplement (V5C/2)"

sixor8

3,852 posts

232 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The new keeper green slip is valid to use until a new V5c is issued. It is no longer then valid. Sounds like the vehicle is still registered with the previous keeper.
you haven't 'just bought' it. Regardless, I was under the impression that the new keeper slip had a time limit. It used to, but maybe this changed when the onus was shifted to the seller, not the buyer, to send in the change of details.

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,008 posts

158 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
this topic going round in circles

talksthetorque

8,866 posts

99 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
okenemem said:
this topic going round in circles
Get your girlfriend to call the DVLA and ask if she is the registered keeper as the V5 never appeared when she bought the car.

Note, you may be on hold a while due to COVID Civil servants workers working from home but not working very hard.


BertBert

14,887 posts

175 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
okenemem said:
it was a used car , and its not pcp
So, perhaps tell us what it is rather than what it isn't. You want help, but can't arsed to give any useful info.

Ninja59

2,513 posts

76 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
Get your girlfriend to call the DVLA and ask if she is the registered keeper as the V5 never appeared when she bought the car.

Note, you may be on hold a while due to COVID Civil servants workers working from home but not working very hard.
Called the dvla about my updated V5 on Monday answered in 5 minutes, really efficient.

V5's are up to 10 days currently.

Chicken dinner

3,918 posts

32 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
okenemem said:
this topic going round in circles
Get your girlfriend to call the DVLA and ask if she is the registered keeper as the V5 never appeared when she bought the car.

Note, you may be on hold a while due to COVID Civil servants workers working from home but not working very hard.
The online chat works really well.