Alien

Author
Discussion

Narcisus

Original Poster:

6,076 posts

244 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Just watched in 4K and hdr. Pretty amazing in this age of digital effects how it still manages to look superb. First watched on bootleg VHS when I was 11 in 1979 scared the crap out of me then and still have the odd nightmare about Geigers creature even now.

Still in my top 3.

Lincsls1

1,884 posts

104 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
100% agreed.
A fantastic film, and somehow doesn't seem dated. Its a true classic. The story, suspense and atmosphere are so good. The bits that date it are just the computer systems really, everything else holds up really well, the alien is amazing as are the spacecraft.
Weaver is really rather fit back then too, running around in her little white knickers!laugh
I was lucky enough to see this back to back with Aliens at the cinema just a few years ago.

Turn7

19,877 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Love the whole franchise......

Great films,scary beasts, and lots of hi tech weapons.......

And yes, SW.....

Radec

996 posts

11 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I might be in the minority here but I think Aliens is just a little bit better than the first one.

There's not much in it in mind you between them.

anonymous-user

18 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Aliens is the superior film to me, but yes the original really holds up well today.

DaveGrohl

483 posts

61 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I enjoyed Aliens immensely, one of my absolute favourite films. Alien scared the absolute cr@p out of me, so much so I couldn't watch right to the end first time. Rewatched it a few times since and yes it is a staggering film. SW hard bh and those knickers........

On a non sexy note, I loved the Bill Paxton character in Aliens, great actor sadly missed.

Gary C

7,663 posts

143 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Narcisus said:
Just watched in 4K and hdr. Pretty amazing in this age of digital effects how it still manages to look superb. First watched on bootleg VHS when I was 11 in 1979 scared the crap out of me then and still have the odd nightmare about Geigers creature even now.

Still in my top 3.
I read this when I was 11 (also in 1979 !) but before this last lockdown, the local cinema had it on.

Was great to finally watch it on the big screen will the full six track sound smile

They even had sofa's to sit on.

Narcisus

Original Poster:

6,076 posts

244 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Narcisus said:
Just watched in 4K and hdr. Pretty amazing in this age of digital effects how it still manages to look superb. First watched on bootleg VHS when I was 11 in 1979 scared the crap out of me then and still have the odd nightmare about Geigers creature even now.

Still in my top 3.
I read this when I was 11 (also in 1979 !) but before this last lockdown, the local cinema had it on.

Was great to finally watch it on the big screen will the full six track sound smile

They even had sofa's to sit on.
:-) When I read the book the bit that really got to me was when ( I think it was ) Dallas was on a walkway and the Aliens hand is reaching for him.

SpudLink

3,484 posts

156 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I was 14 when I watched this in the cinema in 1979. I was shaking by the end of it. The unanswered questions about the alien and the ‘space jockey’ in the crashed ship are part of the reason the film lived so long in the mind. Didn’t need to be answered in sequels or prequels. Nonetheless, it remains one of my all time favourites.
Aliens is a great action film, but the original is a masterpiece.

croyde

17,863 posts

194 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I remember watching it in the Cinema when it was first released.

There was already a lot of tension in the air as the film started and the camera slowly swept around the sleeping space ship's interior.

I think the pages of a book fluttered and the whole cinema gasped.

Such innocent times, not so easy to scare or thrill an audience these days.

I mean, back when Jaws was first released, people were throwing up in the auditorium.

JagLover

33,587 posts

199 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Radec said:
I might be in the minority here but I think Aliens is just a little bit better than the first one.

There's not much in it in mind you between them.
I doubt you are in much of a minority. I prefer Aliens myself and to me it is almost the "perfect" action Sci-fi movie. Not only due to setting and performances but also pacing.

Alien is a very different movie, being horror sci-fi. It is a very good movie and clearly the most inventive, but Aliens is the superior movie, imo, set in the world that Alien created.

Someone said that each of the Alien movies in the franchise (1-4) were the same movie but just shaped by who the director was. Cameron in his prime was the best sci-fi action director hence my preference for Aliens.

Kenny6868

215 posts

109 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I watched Alien, Aliens & Alien3 back to back one Saturday evening back in the early 90s. I was seeing aliens coming out of the ceiling and out from behind curtains on my way to bed that night. Slept with the lights on!

Still my favourite franchise

Narcisus

Original Poster:

6,076 posts

244 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I had this on my bedroom door when I was a teen biggrin


satans worm

2,123 posts

181 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Watched it on bootleg VHS around a friends when i was 8, i ran all the way home i was so scared that night (and several others after!

Ive never watched it, or any of the sequels, again paperbag

Maybe its time to sit down and binge them all.....

marcella

142 posts

88 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Love this film too. The first time I saw it was lying on the stairs peering down into the living room when my Mum and Dad were watching it.

I must of been about 6, but I remember I had all the toys but never saw the film, scared the crap outta me!

I would highly recommend playing the game Alien:Isolation, it does a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere from the first films and plenty jump scares to go with it. Definitely in my top 10 video games of all time.

mat205125

16,102 posts

177 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Radec said:
I might be in the minority here but I think Aliens is just a little bit better than the first one.

There's not much in it in mind you between them.
They're very different films and both excellent

Alien is a claustrophobic horror monster movie

Aliens is more an action epic


Narcisus

Original Poster:

6,076 posts

244 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
marcella said:
Love this film too. The first time I saw it was lying on the stairs peering down into the living room when my Mum and Dad were watching it.

I must of been about 6, but I remember I had all the toys but never saw the film, scared the crap outta me!

I would highly recommend playing the game Alien:Isolation, it does a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere from the first films and plenty jump scares to go with it. Definitely in my top 10 video games of all time.
My advice is under no circumstances play that game !!! I bought it on release and played it for about 30 minutes most of which I spent in a locker. Apparently it can also be played in VR..... PTSD Time ....

Edit to say my version also had the Nostromo that you could just walk around without been .... Frightened... That was great !

vixen1700

15,496 posts

234 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
SpudLink said:
I was 14 when I watched this in the cinema in 1979.
Must have been 13, went with a mate from school and his dad.

Amazing the amount of 'X' films we used to get to go and see at that age. hehe

paolow

3,119 posts

222 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Narcisus said:
I had this on my bedroom door when I was a teen biggrin

Always used to bug me with that one that it looked like the alien 'burst' through the door, yet the tail was already through the breach...

paolow

3,119 posts

222 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Oh - for those of you that are fans - yes A3 was prettty weak - but the quadrilogy blu ray has the special edition = aka assembly cut which is a marked improvement and in fact is hugely different. Definitely recommended if you havent seen it