What's the latest thinking on PCCB?

What's the latest thinking on PCCB?

Author
Discussion

supermono

Original Poster:

7,368 posts

206 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
My ceramics are still in a box from just after I bought the GT2 three years ago and I'm thinking of putting them back on. There were no issues with them and they'd been certified ok by Reading and (obviously!) Bristol who supplied the car, though they had/still have a few dark patches.

But what's changed in the meantime?

There was a welsh company (PFM?) looking to provide a cheaper but arguably more robust alternative to be retrofitted to the hubs.
I read somewhere the rear genuine rotors can be fitted to the front hubs, and we all know rears are easily come by secondhand.
Are there any genuine remanufacturing options (ie the hubs are perfect) for just the rotors?
Are there any sellers putting out genuine PCCB1/2/3 items for a sensible price?

What else has happened in the market since I last looked?

SM

cableguy

2,278 posts

167 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
Discussed here: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0...

If only you were two weeks earlier with this thread... just sold a perfect set of fronts to the chap that bought my car.

C.

Davey S2

12,333 posts

212 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
'Would Mr Geneve please pick up a white courtesy telephone'

hehe

/He loves them and apparently gets £1 from Porsche everytime he recommends them

biggrin

One Trick Pony

198 posts

128 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
Replacement non-OE ceramics available at a good price here.

supermono

Original Poster:

7,368 posts

206 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
One Trick Pony said:
Replacement non-OE ceramics available at a good price here.
Those 695/550 replacements are apparently "High-Tech-Cast-Iron-Carbon" and 9Kgs. What's that all about? Are they carbon ceramic? But more importantly are they comparable in weight?

SM

supermono

Original Poster:

7,368 posts

206 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
cableguy said:
Discussed here: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0...

If only you were two weeks earlier with this thread... just sold a perfect set of fronts to the chap that bought my car.

C.
Shame. How much did you stiff him IYDMMA?

SM

cableguy

2,278 posts

167 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
Sold within the deal on the car. Looking at past ebay and various classifieds, £600+ should buy a good set/pair. 996 Ceramics which are very poor IMO seem to be a little thin on the ground now due to 997's being so established.

C.

Geneve

3,629 posts

177 months

Thursday 11th February 2010
quotequote all
Davey S2 said:
'Would Mr Geneve please pick up a white courtesy telephone'

hehe

/He loves them and apparently gets £1 from Porsche everytime he recommends them

biggrin
Wish I did.

But my comments have always related to the later Gen 3 pccbs. That's not to say there is anything wrong with earlier generation pccbs, but there were some well documented issues that dented confidence for a while.

supermono

Original Poster:

7,368 posts

206 months

Friday 12th February 2010
quotequote all
Does anyone have any technical info about the design911 rotor replacements?

My understanding is that they're just iron discs (albeit High-Tech-Cast-Iron-Carbon whatever that means), the advert uses the word ceramic but perhaps only to describe what they're replacing.

Surely someone must have looked into these? How much do standard PCCBs rotors f/r weigh? I can only weigh the complete assemblies which doesn't really help.

ETA: Here's a bit of info: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=49968&pos...

SM

Edited by supermono on Friday 12th February 08:28

GT Two

3,005 posts

150 months

Friday 12th February 2010
quotequote all
supermono said:
Does anyone have any technical info about the design911 rotor replacements?

My understanding is that they're just iron discs (albeit High-Tech-Cast-Iron-Carbon whatever that means), the advert uses the word ceramic but perhaps only to describe what they're replacing.

Surely someone must have looked into these? How much do standard PCCBs rotors f/r weigh? I can only weigh the complete assemblies which doesn't really help.

SM
No and I wouldnt buy a replacement bulb from those guys.

My friend picks his 996 GT3rs up from JZM on Saturday, on his visits there over the last couple of weeks he said that they are working on a ceramic disc option.

Perhaps worth a call?

supermono

Original Poster:

7,368 posts

206 months

Friday 12th February 2010
quotequote all
GT Two said:
supermono said:
Does anyone have any technical info about the design911 rotor replacements?

My understanding is that they're just iron discs (albeit High-Tech-Cast-Iron-Carbon whatever that means), the advert uses the word ceramic but perhaps only to describe what they're replacing.

Surely someone must have looked into these? How much do standard PCCBs rotors f/r weigh? I can only weigh the complete assemblies which doesn't really help.

SM
No and I wouldnt buy a replacement bulb from those guys.

My friend picks his 996 GT3rs up from JZM on Saturday, on his visits there over the last couple of weeks he said that they are working on a ceramic disc option.

Perhaps worth a call?
I just read this http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-... and it seems they weigh ~20lbs for just the disk compared with 12lbs for the whole PCCB assembly. They also mention "Brembo GTR or StopTech STR weigh about the same as Porsche stock PCCB, and they are both race proven. "

Does anyone know about those?

Anyhow, I'll give JZM a call later. I'm really wanting the ceramic discs back on the beast for some reason...

Is it just me or is the promise of spring causing a yearning for trackday action, zymol purchase and wheel powercoating in others too?

SM

996GT2

2,649 posts

168 months

Friday 12th February 2010
quotequote all
supermono said:
Is it just me or is the promise of spring causing a yearning for trackday action, zymol purchase and wheel powercoating in others too?

SM
Not just you. I'll be at Bedford on the 27th subjecting my PCCBs to my average track skills.

My plan with the brakes has always been to run them until they fail and then convert to steels, they're good, but they're not 3k a corner good.


jsb

138 posts

156 months

Saturday 13th February 2010
quotequote all
996GT2 said:
supermono said:
Is it just me or is the promise of spring causing a yearning for trackday action, zymol purchase and wheel powercoating in others too?

SM
Not just you. I'll be at Bedford on the 27th subjecting my PCCBs to my average track skills.

My plan with the brakes has always been to run them until they fail and then convert to steels, they're good, but they're not 3k a corner good.
Yeah snap on the convert to steelys. Question though, do the calipers need to be changed as well or just fit the larger turbo steel rotors with pads. Just wonder if the caliper is the same size?

Turbo cab

1,360 posts

190 months

Saturday 13th February 2010
quotequote all
Carnewall can suplly the correct disks to use with your existing calipers.

The Gen1 pccb's must have been made of chocolate - Mine were fit for the bin after 3 months of spirited street driving wink.

Leave them in the box SM.

I just have my fingers crossed that the Gen3 versions are a lot better.