MK1 Rover 200

MK1 Rover 200

Author
Discussion

CDP

6,173 posts

211 months

Sunday 15th May 2011
quotequote all
I wonder what the legal status of "It's my car, it's safely repairable, I would like it returned to the condition before the accident." would be? This is the legal obligation of the insurer; they have no contract with the innocent third party. How far has anybody got with this argument? It must have been tried with classic cars.

After all, a £200 cheque based on their valuation of the car would certainly put the recipient at considerable inconvenience. The cheap end of the market is quite a lottery, worthless cars can be very good but can (more easily) be just about ready for the scrap heap.

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Sunday 15th May 2011
quotequote all
The repairs need to be less than a third of the write off payout to justify doing it. So £200 repair for a with an agreed value of £600. Plus my insurers would get their admin' and other costs added on it would have been a least £1,000 for the Saxo driver in the end.

All this pushes everyone elses premiums up and I would be looking over my shoulder for the next five years waiting for a personal injury claim from the Saxo driver because as soon as there's no record of the accident in the insurance/Police databases (three years) there's no way of proving the accident wasn't my fault and flipped over onto me.

Someone who'd found the end of his bell tried that last year for a colision back in 1998. Luckilly I photographed everything and it got thrown out before any fraud could happen.

Richard Moss

135 posts

164 months

Monday 16th May 2011
quotequote all
Nice work on the repairs. It helps that it was reasonably rust free in that area, too.

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Thursday 19th May 2011
quotequote all
Hmmmmmm.....



..... scratchchin

red_rover

817 posts

177 months

Thursday 19th May 2011
quotequote all
They did it with the Rover 800 and the 200 SD3 is TWICE the car!

350zwelgje

1,814 posts

218 months

Thursday 19th May 2011
quotequote all
Glad that you are ok!
Hat of to you bow Very good to keep the Rover on the road.
Seems that you really like the car and challenges wink that go with it.

Myself just picked up a Rover 75 to play with and the SD1 (had some challenges with that as well but not as bad as yours) is back on the road as well.

Rob

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Friday 20th May 2011
quotequote all
Thanks Rob.

Here's pre-facelift 213S on the south coast.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...

Buy it now for £350 or start bidding at a bargain £150. A bit too far for me to travel but you're more than welcome to join the SD3 club. smile

james_tigerwoods

15,529 posts

154 months

Friday 20th May 2011
quotequote all
Liquid Knight said:
Thanks Rob.

Here's pre-facelift 213S on the south coast.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...

Buy it now for £350 or start bidding at a bargain £150. A bit too far for me to travel but you're more than welcome to join the SD3 club. smile
[Father Ted] That'll tap out [/Father ted]

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Friday 20th May 2011
quotequote all
james_tigerwoods said:
Liquid Knight said:
Thanks Rob.

Here's pre-facelift 213S on the south coast.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...

Buy it now for £350 or start bidding at a bargain £150. A bit too far for me to travel but you're more than welcome to join the SD3 club. smile
[Father Ted] That'll tap out [/Father ted]
I was thinking ignition barrel and bits for mine and somewhere to put my mates Tomcat. wink

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Monday 23rd May 2011
quotequote all
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...

frown

Poor car. frown

A bit of a metalist thinking the headlight's worth £30 when there are new old stcok ones on eBay for £4.99. silly


Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Monday 30th May 2011
quotequote all
I didn't win the two 213S's so I bought this for mine instead....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...

...and have been looking a 2.3 Honda Preludes again. Must; resist; tuning!

Having said that the Vitesse front spoiler could direct air flow into an intercooler. wink

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Friday 3rd June 2011
quotequote all
It's been a hard week for the Rover this week. A four-hundred mile to Bath and back to collect my £10 eBay bumper and skirt.



The journey there was rubbish, mostly motorway and on a "private" streach (officer) the car indicated 110mph and the sat' nav' confirmed 99mph (down hill). Met one of the nicest chaps I have ever bought anything from and got a free pair of Vitesse wheels to go with the bumper and skirt. wink



Sadly however thanks to the hills you get around Bath and extra weight in the boot the cars clutch went from a bit slippy to extra crispy. So I took "A" roads home and drove like I had Miss Daisy in the back. There was an interesting convoy on the A605; a animal transport (from the smell I'd say pigs), a Voyager running on used oil and smelled like a chip pan fire at a Kebab shop, a SAAB 9-3 with a knackered oil seal blowing white smoke out every gear change, my stinky clutch and an Audi A5 convertable with the roof down. hehe

I think it was the first time I have ever felt sorry for an Audi driver. wink

Luckilly it's a Honda bit so.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-BALLADE-1-5-ROVER-213-...

...eBay to the rescue again. Bloody expensive eh?

I'm looking for a Mini Clubman to put the Honda/Rover engine into as I have been offered a 220 turbo foe a very very good price. wink

red_rover

817 posts

177 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
You can't scrap the SD3 LK!

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
Got a quote for a T16 Turbo powered SD3 with apropriate brake and suspension upgrades. A deposit on a country estate would be cheaper so I'm thinking of fitting the turbo bits to the Honda engine instead. Apparently the septics do a kit for the 1.3 Civic/Ballade and I can use the turbo and bits from the T16, sell the engine and gear box to pay for the incidentals. Would be a blow through set up so an MG Metro Turbo sealed SU, modified manifold and low boost due to standard CR would be reliable and good for over 100bhp.

I was only thinking of the Mini if I could was going to fit the Tomcat to the SD3, but it would be cheaper to insure a Lotus Esprit V8. silly


CDP

6,173 posts

211 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
Liquid Knight said:
I was only thinking of the Mini if I could was going to fit the Tomcat to the SD3, but it would be cheaper to insure a Lotus Esprit V8. silly
Try the specialists like Adrian Flux and Footman James, you'd be surprised how cheap insurance on performance modified cars (as opposed to chavmobiles) can be.


Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
Footman said it would have to be a "Modified Car" instead of "Modified Classic" policy and cover the car to a value of up to £10,000. For a £350 Rover with a £75 engine and gear box it's overkill I think.

SD3 with SD1 running gear though. scratchchin






wink

MGJohn

10,203 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
Liquid Knight said:
Footman said it would have to be a "Modified Car" instead of "Modified Classic" policy and cover the car to a value of up to £10,000. For a £350 Rover with a £75 engine and gear box it's overkill I think.

SD3 with SD1 running gear though. scratchchin

wink
Rover T16 Turbo would be a tad overkill in the SD3... bit of a sleeper though and them some. 200ps in bog standard trim with room for more... smile
..

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
I have Wisbech Engineering up the road and AN Racing in the next village so 400-500bhp would be even better. wink

MGJohn

10,203 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
Liquid Knight said:
I have Wisbech Engineering up the road and AN Racing in the next village so 400-500bhp would be even better. wink
You glutton.... wink

It is rumoured that AN ( Andy Nicholls ) has reached in excess of 700bhp from a Rover T16... Good grief.

Liquid Knight

Original Poster:

15,671 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th June 2011
quotequote all
MGJohn said:
Liquid Knight said:
I have Wisbech Engineering up the road and AN Racing in the next village so 400-500bhp would be even better. wink
You glutton.... wink

It is rumoured that AN ( Andy Nicholls ) has reached in excess of 700bhp from a Rover T16... Good grief.
Tuned back down to 500-ish for reliability. wink

Just checked and I only won a Tenner last night so it'll have to wait.