California to ban petrol cars and trucks.

California to ban petrol cars and trucks.

Author
Discussion

NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
Not sure how well it will be received, but California is planning to follow the EU and UK's lead by banning the sale of all new petrol cars and trucks in 2035.
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/916209659/californi...
It could cost the governor the next election.

RDMcG

15,905 posts

167 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
CA had been very influential and I expect it will stick.

ATG

17,323 posts

232 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
Governor won't be doing it unless he thinks it'll have adequate popular support. What would be the point of enacting legislation that would get repealed after you've been kicked out of office?

RobDickinson

30,790 posts

214 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
ATG said:
Governor won't be doing it unless he thinks it'll have adequate popular support. What would be the point of enacting legislation that would get repealed after you've been kicked out of office?
Cali is sick of smog, pollution, climate change-> fires etc

Jimmy Recard

17,274 posts

139 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
Geographically California is probably the state best placed to go all-electric and financially too.

California (due to its geography and high car usage) has had smog problems for as long as I can remember. It historically had and has the strictest emissions laws of any US state and I think was the first to move from lead petrol to unleaded

NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
ATG said:
Governor won't be doing it unless he thinks it'll have adequate popular support. What would be the point of enacting legislation that would get repealed after you've been kicked out of office?
And the best way to get it repealed is to vote the governor out of office.
His track record of driving business and hence jobs out of California doesn't help his chances of re election.
https://www.hoover.org/research/california-busines...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickgleason/2020/0...

bubbleboba

4 posts

4 months

Monday 28th September
quotequote all
Still, there is time, now that it's 2020, how pandemic took a toll on the entire human race but done well for O3 (ozone layer). There will be a huge global climate change after 5 years from which I believe strongly and how the world is going to be in 2035.

hoganscrogan

677 posts

244 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
I challenge anyone to look down on LA from the observatory and NOT think gas cars need replacing!

It's a pretty depressing realising you spend all day under that mustard coloured blanket. And surely we want a great American company like Tesla to thrive, it's leading the way back to a rebirth and return to international relevance for the USA car industry (Rivian, Ford)

Terminator X

9,980 posts

164 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
RobDickinson said:
ATG said:
Governor won't be doing it unless he thinks it'll have adequate popular support. What would be the point of enacting legislation that would get repealed after you've been kicked out of office?
Cali is sick of smog, pollution, climate change-> fires etc
Lol EV to stop the wild fires.

Santiago Canyon Fire (1889). Burned approximately 300,000 acres (120,000 ha).
Berkeley Fire (1923). Destroyed 640 structures, including 584 homes.
Griffith Park Fire (1933). Official death toll was 29 firefighters, but may have killed up to 58.
Rattlesnake Fire (1953). 15 firefighters were killed in this arsonist's fire.
Bel Air Fire (1961). 484 homes were destroyed; 112 injuries.
Laguna Fire (1970). 382 homes burned, killing eight people.
Painted Cave Fire (1990). 1 death and 430 buildings burned in this arson fire near Santa Barbara.
Oakland firestorm (1991). Killed 25 people. Destroyed 2,843 single-family homes and 437 multi-family units.
Mount Vision Fire (1995). 45 homes destroyed. Cause: illegal campfire.
Panorama Fire (1980). 28,800 acres burned, destroying 310 homes and 67 structures, killing four people, and injuring 77 in north San Bernardino.[20] Origin of fire was near Old Waterman Canyon along Hwy. 18, same general area as origin of the Old Fire (2003), but the Panorama fire burned west of through the North Park area of San Bernardino (near California State University, San Bernardino). Both fires were arson set.

TX.

NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
hoganscrogan said:
I challenge anyone to look down on LA from the observatory and NOT think gas cars need replacing!
The wife moved to LA in the 60's and said you could chew the air.

Stigproducts

1,317 posts

231 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
First really hot week of the year in California they kept having to turn off the power because people had the nerve to turn on their air conditioning. If the government can't arrange enough power they are setting themselves up for failure if every single car needs a charge too. How's that going to work out when the entire state can't go to work because the sun doesn't shine at night?

And a double lol for the concept that EV's will stop forest fires. That is really drinking the Kool aid. Jesus wept.

Saad Raza

1 posts

2 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
clap Electric Cars could be the next option

jjwilde

1,540 posts

56 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Stigproducts said:
First really hot week of the year in California they kept having to turn off the power because people had the nerve to turn on their air conditioning. If the government can't arrange enough power they are setting themselves up for failure if every single car needs a charge too. How's that going to work out when the entire state can't go to work because the sun doesn't shine at night?

And a double lol for the concept that EV's will stop forest fires. That is really drinking the Kool aid. Jesus wept.
Because EV tech will solve this with battery energy storage. You would have known this if you'd just spent 5mins reading.

Zed 44

1,142 posts

116 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
You guys are on the wrong forum. This one is called Pistonheads. It's about metal things that move up and down, make a loud noise, give the thrill of speed, and emit some smoke.

Here's where you guys need to be:

https://extinctionrebellion.uk/
https://friendsoftheearth.uk/
https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/contact/
https://twitter.com/Brakecharity?ref_src=twsrc%5Eg...

NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
Zed 44 said:
You guys are on the wrong forum. This one is called Pistonheads. It's about metal things that move up and down, make a loud noise, give the thrill of speed, and emit some smoke.
Add the word old to that list and I'm on board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMITokuHN4

Stigproducts

1,317 posts

231 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
jjwilde said:
Because EV tech will solve this with battery energy storage. You would have known this if you'd just spent 5mins reading.
Sure they will, just like the government and the electricity suppliers in California will have the wherewithal create enough electricity to feed the 2020 demand so people can turn their AC on.

Pica-Pica

7,671 posts

44 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
NMNeil said:
Not sure how well it will be received, but California is planning to follow the EU and UK's lead by banning the sale of all new petrol cars and trucks in 2035.
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/916209659/californi...
It could cost the governor the next election.
Signing the legislation to set up CARB didn’t do Reagan much harm as Governor.

NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

fred bloggs

522 posts

160 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
We tried all the options for powered travel 120 years ago, and settled on oil derivitives as it has the highest calorific value.
Have a google at lithium and copper mining, then tell me EV's are good.

Just set loose a pandemic that kills the old, and then invent a vaccine that makes youngsters sterile. Less people, less cars. Then stick everyone in high rise rabbit hutch apartments in cities,and feed them synthetic protein.

World saved. Your welcome.


NMNeil

Original Poster:

917 posts

10 months

Friday 23rd October
quotequote all
fred bloggs said:

Have a google at lithium and copper mining, then tell me EV's are good.
Google water pollution in the Permian Basin (where I live) then tell me how great oil is.