One topic, many questions...

One topic, many questions...

Author
Discussion

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Tuesday 11th June
quotequote all
Hi all again.
As I told before, I started to work on the car finally.
In Italy it's really difficult to find someone who knows something about TVR cars....so I really need and appreciate your helps.
I think that icould be a good idea to start only one topic for all my questions...
I don't want to mess around the forum with all my topics... angel

So.....let me start with a couple of things..

1: My cigar lighter is broken.
How the hell do you dismantle it?
I can't figure out how to get behind it.
And I can't even figure out how it was originally attached because parts are missing.
Could someone take a picture?

2: Gear leather gaiter: it's the only part really worn of the interior.
I want to change it with a new one.
This morning I took it apart without problem...but all the lower part isn't fixed to the gearbox tunnel in any way....
How tho part it's originally fitted to the tunnel?

It goes without saying how much your help is appreciated.....

Thanks ALOT bow

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Tuesday 11th June
quotequote all


My gaiter

pmessling

2,290 posts

206 months

Tuesday 11th June
quotequote all
Cigarette lighter. Just throw it in the bin and replace with a USB socket. Be careful of the silver key mounted near it. Easiest way to get behind it is removing the top of the dash above the clocks.

For the gaiter. They are all just pushed under the hole so nothing wrong there.

Juddder

866 posts

187 months

Tuesday 11th June
quotequote all
Actually, just to add to Peter's post, the easiest way to get to the cigarette lighter and the silver key is to just take the car stereo out smile

You don't even need to unplug it, just wiggle out of the mount and then you can reach around and unscrew the back of the securing nuts for both and remove or replace with USB and a push latching switch as I have done thumbup

Juddder

866 posts

187 months

Wednesday 12th June
quotequote all
Took a while but found a photo thumbup (May 2017)



Edited by Juddder on Wednesday 12th June 00:09

Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Wednesday 12th June
quotequote all
The gear gaiter I seem to remember was just glued in place at the bottom. Obviously its usually done when the whole of the center console is out, but I found contact adhesive and those small spring clamps held it in place whilst it set.

Robscim

808 posts

259 months

Wednesday 12th June
quotequote all
Juddder said:
Actually, just to add to Peter's post, the easiest way to get to the cigarette lighter and the silver key is to just take the car stereo out smile

You don't even need to unplug it, just wiggle out of the mount and then you can reach around and unscrew the back of the securing nuts for both and remove or replace with USB and a push latching switch as I have done thumbup
That's brilliant - thanks!!! beer

Mine decided a few weeks ago to head off into the dash and I've been having a running battle trying to convince it otherwise! hehe

I need to add a mounting ring to stop it happening again but wasn't sure if the stereo route would work.

As always, the depth on information on here never fails to amaze me, even for the simple things! bow

Rob

Juddder

866 posts

187 months

Wednesday 12th June
quotequote all
Robscim said:
That's brilliant - thanks!!! beer

Mine decided a few weeks ago to head off into the dash and I've been having a running battle trying to convince it otherwise! hehe

I need to add a mounting ring to stop it happening again but wasn't sure if the stereo route would work.

As always, the depth on information on here never fails to amaze me, even for the simple things! bow

Rob
Pleasure - and if you have small hands or long fingers, you can actually just pull the ash tray out and attack it from the bottom

Lots of options to hopefully help you out smile

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Wednesday 12th June
quotequote all
Thank a lot to all.
I'll send you some pictures and let you know my progress as soon as I start to work on it.

thumbup

Supateg

762 posts

145 months

Thursday 13th June
quotequote all
Juddder said:
Took a while but found a photo thumbup (May 2017)



Edited by Juddder on Wednesday 12th June 00:09
As usual tech moves on… I picked up a voltage meter, 1 usb A & 2 usb C last year off a well know retailer. Really helpful seeing my failing alternator voltage…




Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Monday 17th June
quotequote all
Hi all.
New work, new question....
I started to work on the helmet holder to fix the upholstery which seems a little bit tired.
I had use some special M3 tapes to "glue" leather and carpet.
The problem is that, when I took apart the helmet holder, I discovered that isn't any fixing at all: someone put only a really poor bihadesive on the base of the mould which touch the central electric loom......
Could you please help me and let me know how this part is originally fitted?
1999 Cerbera so Tuscan style seats.
Thanks

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Monday 17th June
quotequote all


This is the final result.
Much better now.
Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it without any fastening......


Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Tuesday 18th June
quotequote all
On mine, there's a long bolt at the top that goes through into the boot and is done up with a wing nut, you peel back the carpet at the top to get access, which has the added plus of holding the bolt whilst you do up the wingnut.

Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Tuesday 18th June
quotequote all
Actually I remembered I have a stripped spare.
You can see the hole here at the top


The underneath is covered in padding as well

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Tuesday 18th June
quotequote all
Brilliant.
Any of you have a picture of this fixing?

Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Wednesday 19th June
quotequote all
Not much to see really. It's just a bolt with big washers

Inside


Boot

Andrea7

Original Poster:

56 posts

5 months

Wednesday 19th June
quotequote all
You are all so helpful!
Great to know I can count on thi forum!
Greetings

Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Thursday 20th June
quotequote all
Originally it had a long bolt with a wingnut on it. When it came back from the rebuild it was missing the bolt, so it got replaced with a bolt, self locking nut and large washers - and stayed like that.

Robscim

808 posts

259 months

Thursday 20th June
quotequote all
Juddder said:
Pleasure - and if you have small hands or long fingers, you can actually just pull the ash tray out and attack it from the bottom

Lots of options to hopefully help you out smile
Thanks again! beer

But like so many TVR things, mine has no ashtray!!!

Will give the radio route a go when I'm ready to start the usual contortions!! But there's driving to be done beforehand!!! driving

Rob

Byker28i

62,788 posts

220 months

Thursday 20th June
quotequote all
Robscim said:
Juddder said:
Pleasure - and if you have small hands or long fingers, you can actually just pull the ash tray out and attack it from the bottom

Lots of options to hopefully help you out smile
Thanks again! beer

But like so many TVR things, mine has no ashtray!!!

Will give the radio route a go when I'm ready to start the usual contortions!! But there's driving to be done beforehand!!! driving

Rob
Have you got the slot for one? I have a brand new one left as I replaced mine as it was broken and I had the opportunity to buy two for £1 each from an autojumble