AJP8 in F3000 car!

AJP8 in F3000 car!

Author
Discussion

HRG

72,812 posts

206 months

Saturday 5th December 2009
quotequote all

ridds

7,412 posts

211 months

Saturday 5th December 2009
quotequote all
HarryW said:
I reckon the majority of the improvement is the headers which are seriously compromised by the chassis rails and bulwarks in a cerb.
Still love to see 500 out of a 4.5, I reckon mine with race fuel and headers would probably do 500 on the bench dyno.
Have to agree, Look at AJPGriffs and how much has come from that.

The exhaust on the Cerb AJP are a major hurdle.

HarryW

14,911 posts

236 months

Sunday 6th December 2009
quotequote all
Chris Wilson said:
I am restoring the Mugen 3 litre V8 in my 1991 Lola F3000 and spares are a nightmare, I have sourced bits form all over the world, and pistons are having to be made. Whilst the AJP looks enormous next to a Mugen the spares availability and simplicity of it look appealing, it's a pity the concept never took off. .....
Are you sure teh AJP8 is that big a lump, I'm sure it fits into a 22' cube in its bare form, not forgetting it is 4.2-4.7ltr engine too.

itsallyellow

3,617 posts

187 months

Sunday 6th December 2009
quotequote all
ridds said:
HarryW said:
I reckon the majority of the improvement is the headers which are seriously compromised by the chassis rails and bulwarks in a cerb.
Still love to see 500 out of a 4.5, I reckon mine with race fuel and headers would probably do 500 on the bench dyno.
Have to agree, Look at AJPGriffs and how much has come from that.

The exhaust on the Cerb AJP are a major hurdle.
I agree. Im sure we got a lot more power due to the complex maifolds in the race car.











What im really intrested in is these air intakes. On the race car i could probably acomadate somthing like this.

You dont have a spare intake system do you????

Mike

Edited by itsallyellow on Sunday 6th December 13:58


Edited by itsallyellow on Sunday 6th December 14:00


Edited by itsallyellow on Sunday 6th December 14:01

jdman

21 posts

150 months

Sunday 6th December 2009
quotequote all
Chris Wilson said:
I am restoring the Mugen 3 litre V8 in my 1991 Lola F3000 and spares are a nightmare, I have sourced bits form all over the world, and pistons are having to be made. Whilst the AJP looks enormous next to a Mugen the spares availability and simplicity of it look appealing, it's a pity the concept never took off. Where is the Reynard now, I think I heard it went to Ireland? The Australians ran (run??) a series for F3000's with Holden (Buick) V6's in them.




Chris i have the car and yes its in Ireland there is a class in Ireland for all the ex f3000 cars quite a few here run the holden as they were all bought from Australia. But the Holden is a heavy and under powered lump but reliable which in these tough times a cheap reliable lump is an advantage. If you want any info or help as a couple of guys here run the mugen engine here.


john

jdman

21 posts

150 months

Sunday 18th July 2010
quotequote all
Here is an update on an AJP the car now runs well and have raced it in Anglesey and it was very quick still some work to do but its getting there.


Also here is a vid the car is geared to 185mph in 5th going up the hill the engine is mapped on 99 octane road fuel and is fairly rich for the first runs also the limiter is set to 7500rpm so still being careful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQIue0pbpY8

The next race is the phoenix park races in Dublin its held on public roads through a large park in the middle of dublin its a bit bumpy but should hit the max speed on the straights.

JensenA

5,671 posts

197 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
Thanks for the update JD..... That does sound nice thumbup

darren no 7

548 posts

215 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
they are only ment to rev to 7200 to 7400 rpm!

ridds

7,412 posts

211 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
Only because they're so badly balanced from the factory. laugh

A fully balanced and lightened engine should easily get to 8000. Although there's not a lot of point if the power has turned over way before then.

jdman

21 posts

150 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
Well im only going on what the dyno said and it was pulling beyond 7500rpm also dont forget the exhuast and intakes are special if you take a look at the pics earlier on in the thread.

darren no 7

548 posts

215 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
what power did it make as i am building a 4.7

jdman

21 posts

150 months

Monday 19th July 2010
quotequote all
it made 462 but we had some issues with lambda sensors the emerald ecu only takes one input so we ran their lambda in one exhaust and the cars in the other but we got different readings so we mapped it to the leaner side. also the engine is brand new and we were not going to kill it early on. The plan is to map it again at the end of August and this time run it on proper 105 octane race fuel as im racing against old F1 cars in a round of the Euroboss championship in September. The guy who dynoed it for me reckons we will break 500bhp no problem as he was very cautious and it still made 462 so with the race fuel no problem.


darren no 7

548 posts

215 months

Tuesday 20th July 2010
quotequote all
thats the bhp we are hoping to get(500) but only reving to 7000 rpm.The standerd race 4.5 we used to in the tvr tuscan challange never made the power it was ment to (460)a good one was about 410 bhp

APMAUTO

368 posts

233 months

Tuesday 20th July 2010
quotequote all
if you are revving to 7.5k and above on a regular basis you need better rods;)

dinkel

25,861 posts

225 months

Tuesday 20th July 2010
quotequote all
What about the torque figures. They must be pretty good with the 2 valves per cylinder.

ridds

7,412 posts

211 months

Tuesday 20th July 2010
quotequote all
APMAUTO said:
if you are revving to 7.5k and above on a regular basis you need better rods;)
I thought the cheese rods TVR supllied were rather good, hehe especially the hand grinding around the small end to "balance" them where they remove most of the material around the bearing. eek


JR

12,180 posts

225 months

Tuesday 20th July 2010
quotequote all
ridds said:
APMAUTO said:
if you are revving to 7.5k and above on a regular basis you need better rods;)
I thought the cheese rods TVR supllied were rather good, hehe especially the hand grinding around the small end to "balance" them where they remove most of the material around the bearing. eek
Can't understand why Dom isn't using them on his stroker kit.

mcosh

264 posts

213 months

Wednesday 9th June
quotequote all
Here is he car today.


DuncanM

4,333 posts

246 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
Love it smile