Suggestions please for a 50K weeked car

Suggestions please for a 50K weeked car

Author
Discussion

Adam B

16,022 posts

198 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
Kevin-sz0nv said:
Most probably get shot down again for posting pics etc but of all the cars I've had a V10 manual with sports exhaust and tuning is the best by far. The sound and that engine is off the scale and its a reliable Audi. Plus the series one is the best looking version imo of the R8s. Paid 55k for a late 2010 2 owners 15k miles.... Love it!

probably wouldn't be my first choice of number plate

GG33

1,006 posts

145 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
Adam B said:
probably wouldn't be my first choice of number plate
+1 :-)



bertie

8,030 posts

228 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
utgjon said:
For 50k you'd be hard pushed to do better than a 987 Boxster Spyder, especially when you take into account cost of ownership.
I thought they'd be great, really liked the look, so I bought one a while ago.

Never really enjoyed it, suspension is absolutely rock hard, not quick, roof is an utter pain, sold it and took quite a loss.

Dont believe the hype IMHO

WCZ

6,832 posts

138 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
bertie said:
I thought they'd be great, really liked the look, so I bought one a while ago.

Never really enjoyed it, suspension is absolutely rock hard, not quick, roof is an utter pain, sold it and took quite a loss.

Dont believe the hype IMHO
they're not supposed to be super quick and the roof is a ball ache but they are fun imo

utgjon

666 posts

117 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
bertie said:
utgjon said:
For 50k you'd be hard pushed to do better than a 987 Boxster Spyder, especially when you take into account cost of ownership.
I thought they'd be great, really liked the look, so I bought one a while ago.

Never really enjoyed it, suspension is absolutely rock hard, not quick, roof is an utter pain, sold it and took quite a loss.

Dont believe the hype IMHO
Can't say I agree, I'm afraid - we've had one since nearly new and it's still one of the favourite cars in the fleet (amongst things like 997.2 gt3rs, stradale, and previously a 650s).

OK, it's not the fastest/loudest/most refined, but it's a sweet handling little car with more than enough pace for the road that makes a beautiful howl... and above everything, it feels special!

The carbon buckets/manual gearbox/alcantara/silly roof etc add up to more than the sum of it's parts in our experience.

If someone told me it would be the last sports car i'd ever drive, i'd be a pretty happy boy.

bertie

8,030 posts

228 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
utgjon said:
bertie said:
utgjon said:
For 50k you'd be hard pushed to do better than a 987 Boxster Spyder, especially when you take into account cost of ownership.
I thought they'd be great, really liked the look, so I bought one a while ago.

Never really enjoyed it, suspension is absolutely rock hard, not quick, roof is an utter pain, sold it and took quite a loss.

Dont believe the hype IMHO
Can't say I agree, I'm afraid - we've had one since nearly new and it's still one of the favourite cars in the fleet (amongst things like 997.2 gt3rs, stradale, and previously a 650s).

OK, it's not the fastest/loudest/most refined, but it's a sweet handling little car with more than enough pace for the road that makes a beautiful howl... and above everything, it feels special!

The carbon buckets/manual gearbox/alcantara/silly roof etc add up to more than the sum of it's parts in our experience.

If someone told me it would be the last sports car i'd ever drive, i'd be a pretty happy boy.
Each to their own, and I do seem to be in the minority.

Mine was manual, alcantara and sports seats, not carbon buckets.

It was mainly the rock hard suspension that did it for me, it just never floated my boat and and I always walked past it in the garage and got in a Ferrari, hence I sold it and took a £13k hit which seemed a lot for a car that was supposed to be collectable and static on price at worst.

utgjon

666 posts

117 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
bertie said:
utgjon said:
bertie said:
utgjon said:
For 50k you'd be hard pushed to do better than a 987 Boxster Spyder, especially when you take into account cost of ownership.
I thought they'd be great, really liked the look, so I bought one a while ago.

Never really enjoyed it, suspension is absolutely rock hard, not quick, roof is an utter pain, sold it and took quite a loss.

Dont believe the hype IMHO
Can't say I agree, I'm afraid - we've had one since nearly new and it's still one of the favourite cars in the fleet (amongst things like 997.2 gt3rs, stradale, and previously a 650s).

OK, it's not the fastest/loudest/most refined, but it's a sweet handling little car with more than enough pace for the road that makes a beautiful howl... and above everything, it feels special!

The carbon buckets/manual gearbox/alcantara/silly roof etc add up to more than the sum of it's parts in our experience.

If someone told me it would be the last sports car i'd ever drive, i'd be a pretty happy boy.
Each to their own, and I do seem to be in the minority.

Mine was manual, alcantara and sports seats, not carbon buckets.

It was mainly the rock hard suspension that did it for me, it just never floated my boat and and I always walked past it in the garage and got in a Ferrari, hence I sold it and took a £13k hit which seemed a lot for a car that was supposed to be collectable and static on price at worst.
As silly as it might sound, I don't think it'd be the same without the buckets, and that's what Andreas Preuninger said about the new Spyder - the only option he'd tick would be buckets as they contribute so much to the driving experience.

And FWIW, i'm not saying it doesn't get overlooked a lot. There are many occasions when we'll pick up the keys to something else instead... but each time I drive the Spyder I'm reminded how much it offers for the cash. In comparison to the RS, it's probably 95% of the experience at 1/3rd of the price.

Sorry you didn't enjoy yours as much as you'd hoped ... and that 13k hit seems excessive!

PS2018

180 posts

17 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
How long do we think to wait before a Mclaren 12c is in the 50-55k conversation ?

cayman-black

8,027 posts

160 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
PS2018 said:
How long do we think to wait before a Mclaren 12c is in the 50-55k conversation ?
I will check on Monday.

132

Original Poster:

400 posts

207 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
Chaps,

Just to conclude this thread: We ended up buying a Gran Turismo Sport. I know it is not a sports car, but I guess my son is more mature than I thought...He saw a Bianco Fuji GT fly past and he was hooked....We found a really nice Bianco Eldorado facelift car with all of the carbon interior and exterior packs. It looks sharp, has rear seats and, in Sport mode, sounds bellissmo. He is over the moon and I'm pretty chuffed, too...

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

supercommuter

2,001 posts

46 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
132 said:
Chaps,

Just to conclude this thread: We ended up buying a Gran Turismo Sport. I know it is not a sports car, but I guess my son is more mature than I thought...He saw a Bianco Fuji GT fly past and he was hooked....We found a really nice Bianco Eldorado facelift car with all of the carbon interior and exterior packs. It looks sharp, has rear seats and, in Sport mode, sounds bellissmo. He is over the moon and I'm pretty chuffed, too...

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.
Pics...

jakesmith

4,482 posts

115 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
132 said:
Chaps,

Just to conclude this thread: We ended up buying a Gran Turismo Sport. I know it is not a sports car, but I guess my son is more mature than I thought...He saw a Bianco Fuji GT fly past and he was hooked....We found a really nice Bianco Eldorado facelift car with all of the carbon interior and exterior packs. It looks sharp, has rear seats and, in Sport mode, sounds bellissmo. He is over the moon and I'm pretty chuffed, too...

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.
Good shout I had one up till a year ago fantastic car

thecook101

630 posts

59 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
You don’t work in Amersham by any chance? Black one just started parking up next to me recently. Absolutely lovely thing.

EDIT: Duh. Bianco.

Edited by thecook101 on Wednesday 14th August 11:25

Colossus

323 posts

158 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Congratulations! I have owned mine from new for the last 10 years and it still turns heads for all the right reasons. The noise, the looks and the drama are all there. Yes it is a GT but it does go and handle well for such a heavy car, although I have fixed rate dampers which I think contribute to that. They are also pretty painless own. I wish you and your son many happy times in it.

132

Original Poster:

400 posts

207 months

Thursday
quotequote all
thecook101 said:
You don’t work in Amersham by any chance? Black one just started parking up next to me recently. Absolutely lovely thing.

EDIT: Duh. Bianco.

Edited by thecook101 on Wednesday 14th August 11:25
Hi, not far. I am near Gerrards Cross.

132

Original Poster:

400 posts

207 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Colossus said:
Congratulations! I have owned mine from new for the last 10 years and it still turns heads for all the right reasons. The noise, the looks and the drama are all there. Yes it is a GT but it does go and handle well for such a heavy car, although I have fixed rate dampers which I think contribute to that. They are also pretty painless own. I wish you and your son many happy times in it.
Thank you, Sir.

I went to open the driver's door this morning and the electronic release did not work. I tapped the handle and it just started working....oh the joys of Italian car ownership biggrin




Edited by 132 on Thursday 15th August 14:50

blueg33

21,528 posts

168 months

Thursday
quotequote all
132 said:
Thank you, Sir.

I went to open the driver's door this morning and the electronic release did not work. I tapped the handle and it just started working....oh the joys of Italian car ownership biggrin




Edited by 132 on Thursday 15th August 14:50
Looks great.

mate of mine has a Gran Cabrio MX Stradale - the Italianness of it is really irritating. Glove box randomly pops open, Maserati logo on the dash is slightly wonky, electrics are more random than the old Lucas "Price of Darkness" stuff used by British Leyland.

tokyo_mb

378 posts

161 months

Saturday
quotequote all
132 said:
Just to conclude this thread: We ended up buying a Gran Turismo Sport. I know it is not a sports car, but I guess my son is more mature than I thought...He saw a Bianco Fuji GT fly past and he was hooked....We found a really nice Bianco Eldorado facelift car with all of the carbon interior and exterior packs. It looks sharp, has rear seats and, in Sport mode, sounds bellissmo. He is over the moon and I'm pretty chuffed, too...
A great choice - though I might be biased - enjoy that V8 sound while you can!

If you are not already a member at Sports Maserati, I highly recommend that forum for insights on alternative parts without the 'Maserati tax'. the forum Android Auto / Apple CarPlay upgrade, events information, and some good banter.