Collecting Cars auction results

Collecting Cars auction results

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

footsoldier

1,878 posts

155 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
That's a new one - an auction site where you want to avoid people who buy a lot ;-)
Serial buyers...can't trust 'em...


RATATTAK

6,799 posts

152 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
SFTWend said:
If I was a dealer trading in sports and prestige cars I'd probably set up auto bids on many lots with limits that provided a profit margin. This in the knowledge most lots sell for strong money so no risk of being successful on more cars than I wanted in stock.
yes and it looks like that's exactly what Zippy's doing !

SFTWend

272 posts

38 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
RATATTAK said:
Well he bought the Mustang last week for £38,888 so let's see if it gets to Targa Florio Cars
Over 40% markup on that if my maths is correct.

Jonny TVR

3,697 posts

244 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
why on earth would you buy off them unless you have a trade in and even so!

Jonny TVR

3,697 posts

244 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
you would think zippy would change his account name

majordad

3,339 posts

160 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
A friend of mine’s called Whippy, maybe he’d sell Zippy the name, or do a cash with name exchange?

WD-40

98 posts

95 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
Zippy also tried to sell a Maserati 3200 recently, but it went unsold:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2000-maserati-...

The description states he acquired the vehicle in March 2020 but I think when someone queried his reasons for selling so soon in the comments (now deleted), he stated it was "his own personal car" that he'd owned for 5 years, sold it in March but then the buyer decided they didn't want it so he gracefully took it back...

RATATTAK

6,799 posts

152 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
HIS LM said:
Zippy is a serial trader, was the link established to Targa Fiori ?
https://www.targafloriocars.com

bennno

7,051 posts

232 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
RATATTAK said:
HIS LM said:
Zippy is a serial trader, was the link established to Targa Fiori ?
https://www.targafloriocars.com
Clearly is, mustang he purchased Is now for sale at Targa Florio.

Question is whether the owner of a motor dealers could / should be selling their ‘personal’ cars as private sales via CC. I was a bit aghast that I’d bid on a car that he was selling that said trade, which suddenly got changed to private without notification or a reset of the auction / live bids.

Petrus1983

4,474 posts

125 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?




Drclarke

1,080 posts

136 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?

Or the seller is in for total disappointment!

MDMA .

6,123 posts

64 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
Drclarke said:
Petrus1983 said:
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?

Or the seller is in for total disappointment!
Probably the interior colour letting it down. Might get to 28k in the end.

Wilmslowboy

3,100 posts

169 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
Drclarke said:
Petrus1983 said:
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?

Or the seller is in for total disappointment!
Probably the interior colour letting it down. Might get to 28k in the end.
£27k...about right, interior colour, trip, and non-specialist history.

WojaWabbit

972 posts

181 months

Friday 4th December 2020
quotequote all
21ATS said:
If you managed a sale for a friend to simply take the hassle out of it you're absolutely spot on.

In the case of the Ferrari you mention, DK were managing the the sale, providing viewing and inspection facilities, "vouching" for the condition of the vehicle and therefore providing a degree of provenance by default and were being paid for doing so. As a Motor Trader being paid to undertake a sale they simply can't choose to opt out of the legal requirements of being a motor trader. If we chose your interpretation then surely any Sale or Return dealer are in fact not dealers - just brokers overseeing a private transaction between individuals.

The key point here is the managing agent is a motor trader being paid to sell a vehicle as part of their business. As a private individual I guess you're not a registered motor trader selling cars for a living? That's the crux of it.


Edited by 21ATS on Tuesday 1st December 17:50


What this did reveal to me after I started looking into this is how many "dealers" are not actually dealers or motor traders at all but are operating this managed sale business model. They seem to prefer the term "brokers".

So as a private individual I found I'd been looking at cars advertised by what I thought was a motor trader only to find (after the fact) they weren't a trader at all and it was effectively a private sale - but at a full retail price.

Edited by 21ATS on Tuesday 1st December 17:55

I appreciate that some would think they're dealing with a trader up until the point of transaction, but then others would conduct due diligence and figure it out before sale, as it appears you have done. If the transfer of funds isn't completed by the trader/broker then I'd think in the eyes of the law it's a private sale. Sale or Return transactions are completed with the trader, and they take responsibility for the sale as such. In the cases you mention where you initially believed you were looking at motor trader adverts, were they handling the funds?

Emphasis on "I'd think..." in my comment above btw, as I'm no legal eagle! Just my interpretation and understanding of what I've read. If someone was particularly concerned about this type of transaction perhaps they could seek clarification of rights from Citizen's Advice.

MrHooky

108 posts

105 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Collect this on Friday.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-porsche-9...

Feel like I've got a bit of a bargain given the history and ownership. Not the fastest I know (I have an F11 535d and E46 M3 that are much quicker) but £ per smile should be good fun. Cheapest facelift 2.7s on PH seem to be c.£7.5k so even with buyers premium seems a fair price. The benefit of buying a convertible on 1 December I guess...



time waster

520 posts

204 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Wilmslowboy said:
MDMA . said:
Drclarke said:
Petrus1983 said:
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?

Or the seller is in for total disappointment!
Probably the interior colour letting it down. Might get to 28k in the end.
£27k...about right, interior colour, trip, and non-specialist history.
didn't even manage that

Wilmslowboy

3,100 posts

169 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
time waster said:
Wilmslowboy said:
MDMA . said:
Drclarke said:
Petrus1983 said:
Surely someone is set for a total bargain?

Or the seller is in for total disappointment!
Probably the interior colour letting it down. Might get to 28k in the end.
£27k...about right, interior colour, trip, and non-specialist history.
didn't even manage that
£27,030 with fees

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2002-porsche-9...


911Thrasher

2,564 posts

162 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Refreshing color that 996turbo! Cool spec

brightonpad

90 posts

114 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
MrHooky said:
Collect this on Friday.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-porsche-9...

Feel like I've got a bit of a bargain given the history and ownership. Not the fastest I know (I have an F11 535d and E46 M3 that are much quicker) but £ per smile should be good fun. Cheapest facelift 2.7s on PH seem to be c.£7.5k so even with buyers premium seems a fair price. The benefit of buying a convertible on 1 December I guess...


Well done... looks good value. I do like a 2.7 986, feels more delicate (in a good way) than the 3.2S.

cayman-black

10,036 posts

179 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
Probably the interior colour letting it down. Might get to 28k in the end.
I tell you now its not the colour its the seats they are the worst i have ever had.

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED