RV8 Leaky oil pump area

RV8 Leaky oil pump area

Author
Discussion

100SRV

Original Poster:

1,785 posts

209 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Hi,
Rover V8 3.9 with the older type front cover which has an irritating and persistent oil leak from that area.

The engine has a Milner-Phillips oil pump adapter to keep the oil filter from fighting with the front differential (engine is 254mm further aft in the chassis), here is a photo of one:



Twice now I've stripped it down and replaced the gaskets to try and cure the leak.
The adapter had it's faces skimmed to remove scoring so I am pretty sure they will be true and flat.
The oil filter housing I didn't check.
Gaskets were fitted with a smear of vaseline to hold them in place, fasteners were oiled and nipped up.
The capillary gauge plumbing has no trace of leaks so I am fairly sure it's the mating faces where the leak is. I'll have a good look when the engine is hot to see if I can spot the leak as it happens.


Are there any tricks I have missed?

Boosted LS1

20,023 posts

227 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Maybe check for a crack?

Also Halfords sell a really good Locktite that's designed for sumps and oil places. It's the black stuff Si 5980 flange sealant. I use it all the time.

Ranger 6

6,396 posts

216 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
I found mine had a cracked boss for the pressure sender. Another cover plate solved that one.

Obviously, yours doesn't have that any more, however, as the engine is so far back is there any need to have the remote adaptor?

paintman

6,536 posts

157 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Ranger 6 said:
I found mine had a cracked boss for the pressure sender. Another cover plate solved that one.

Obviously, yours doesn't have that any more, however, as the engine is so far back is there any need to have the remote adaptor?
Sounds like his engine isn't in the usual position & an oil filter in the usual LR V8 position is too close to the front diff.

Refit with new gasket & smear of hylomar on each face.

ETA Are any of the bolts into open holes in the oily area which would allow oil to track along the bolt unless a sealant is used on the threads or are they all blind holes? (Been a long time since I've needed to take the pump off mine!)

Edited by paintman on Monday 7th June 20:28

Ranger 6

6,396 posts

216 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
paintman said:
...Sounds like his engine isn't in the usual position & an oil filter in the usual LR V8 position is too close to the front diff.
Yes, when I first got mine (1988 - 90 V8 CSW) it had the wrong filter on, which was too long and the front axle could've hit it on extreme articulations. By moving the engine back there is much more clearance, however, his is a Bowler so could be different details.

100SRV

Original Poster:

1,785 posts

209 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Ranger 6 said:
Yes, when I first got mine (1988 - 90 V8 CSW) it had the wrong filter on, which was too long and the front axle could've hit it on extreme articulations. By moving the engine back there is much more clearance, however, his is a Bowler so could be different details.
The engine is 250mm further back so the oil filter would touch the front differential at full bump.

I can't see any cracks on the oil pressure boss/port but the oil pressure relief valve cap is damp.

Next step is to get the black stuff Si 5980 flange sealant and replace the gaskets along with some thread sealant and new copper washers.
Reassemble after careful inspection of the oil pump housing.
I've not seen any reasonably priced ones on eBay so am open to offers if any PH'ers have one lurking - please PM me.

100SRV

Ranger 6

6,396 posts

216 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Got it!

I hadn’t actually looked at mine - of course, exactly as you said, with the engine further back it’s the diff that would cause the problem, not the steering arms like mine.