Classic Maseratis...

Classic Maseratis...

Author
Discussion

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
67Dino said:
True, the MOT is encouraging. Do report back!
I've just emailed them and received a very prompt and honest reply....

''It's old and it's Italian! I cannot sell this with any guarantee so this is the safest way of limiting any liability to us. If you're interested please come and have a look, it's probably better than you expect''.

Seems fair enough, I think if it was an absolute minter like the RHD one that Dickie Grace has for sale up in Cheshire then it would be around £25k. Might go and have a gander if I get the chance.

67Dino

1,748 posts

63 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
67Dino said:
True, the MOT is encouraging. Do report back!
I've just emailed them and received a very prompt and honest reply....

''It's old and it's Italian! I cannot sell this with any guarantee so this is the safest way of limiting any liability to us. If you're interested please come and have a look, it's probably better than you expect''.

Seems fair enough, I think if it was an absolute minter like the RHD one that Dickie Grace has for sale up in Cheshire then it would be around £25k. Might go and have a gander if I get the chance.
Fair enough, I guess. Love to hear how you get on.

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Some of the QPVs I've looked at on Autotrader have dropped right down to the bottom of their depreciation curve and are tempting, but are probably at the point where they'll produce one or two big bills in the near future.

There's an interesting QPIV V8 on there now, it's high mileage but that in itself isn't a bad thing, it's a RHD auto with good history, although I've read that the auto box in these isn't the best....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010114...

Also on Autotrader is a RHD Ghibli V6 which takes my fancy, again it's an auto but I can't remember if it's the same box as in the QPIV, I've read that it's no slouch in the Ghibli though compared to the manual and wouldn't put me off....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009043...
You probably seen the ad already , put on Car and Classic today 1998 Evo QPIV manual ,21,000 miles, £22,300

not the cheapest but ticks every box

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Sunday 18th October
quotequote all
Yes, that's the one that was on for £25k a while back, a rarity as QPIVs go being RHD manual. I wasn't that keen on grey leather interiors but it's growing on me, and having looked though some of my Maser books (yet again hehe) quite a lot of the '50s grand tourers by Frua, Allemano and Ghia had them too. There's a very nice '65 Alfa 2600 Sprint Coupe on carandclassic I've got my eye on with a grey leather interior which I'm warming to.

Some more old / interesting Maser stuff I've recently come across....










































rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Sunday 18th October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Yes, that's the one that was on for £25k a while back, a rarity as QPIVs go being RHD manual. I wasn't that keen on grey leather interiors but it's growing on me, and having looked though some of my Maser books (yet again hehe) quite a lot of the '50s grand tourers by Frua, Allemano and Ghia had them too. There's a very nice '65 Alfa 2600 Sprint Coupe on carandclassic I've got my eye on with a grey leather interior which I'm warming to.

Some more old / interesting Maser stuff I've recently come across....







































Like them a lot both spider and coupe, for some reason a very under rated under valued Alfa but for how long.

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Monday 19th October
quotequote all
Both quite hard to find now too.

More Maser stuff....












Dunk130TC

276 posts

148 months

Tuesday 20th October
quotequote all
I recognise the Ghibli, it's def been up for sale in the last 5 or so years. Interestingly the front fogs are missing, don't think for a minute you'll replace them, the chap I bought my Ghibli from, imported a wreck from Ireland just to replace one of the front fogs.
Headlights...even rarer!
The auto box...... at a the time when it was someones daily I get it as classy comfy cruiser, and it does pair well with the 2.8 rather than the peakier 2.0. However it wasn't my daily and it was a weekend toy, the auto box just diluted the experience for me and it just felt a bit lazy rather than edgy. They do shift and the early cars don't have any ABS let alone traction, they're also on a narrower tyre too, so be prepared particularly when it's damp and cold. My test drive was unexpectedly sideways!

matrignano

2,662 posts

168 months

Tuesday 20th October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
What's the silver car in the middle of the pic?

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Tuesday 20th October
quotequote all
matrignano said:
P5BNij said:
What's the silver car in the middle of the pic?
One of the many A6G variants, I've dug out my Richard Crump & Rob De La Rive Box book but can't identify it yet.

Edit : I think it's an A6G / 2000D from 1956.

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Tuesday 20th October
quotequote all
Dunk130TC said:
I recognise the Ghibli, it's def been up for sale in the last 5 or so years. Interestingly the front fogs are missing, don't think for a minute you'll replace them, the chap I bought my Ghibli from, imported a wreck from Ireland just to replace one of the front fogs.
Headlights...even rarer!
The auto box...... at a the time when it was someones daily I get it as classy comfy cruiser, and it does pair well with the 2.8 rather than the peakier 2.0. However it wasn't my daily and it was a weekend toy, the auto box just diluted the experience for me and it just felt a bit lazy rather than edgy. They do shift and the early cars don't have any ABS let alone traction, they're also on a narrower tyre too, so be prepared particularly when it's damp and cold. My test drive was unexpectedly sideways!
Thanks Dunk - I hadn't noticed the missing fogs! With regards to the manual / auto choice, well there isn't really much choice at the moment, it'd just down to what's available, no surprise there wink

matrignano

2,662 posts

168 months

Tuesday 20th October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
One of the many A6G variants, I've dug out my Richard Crump & Rob De La Rive Box book but can't identify it yet.

Edit : I think it's an A6G / 2000D from 1956.
Thank you. Lovely looking car!

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Wednesday 21st October
quotequote all
matrignano said:
P5BNij said:
One of the many A6G variants, I've dug out my Richard Crump & Rob De La Rive Box book but can't identify it yet.

Edit : I think it's an A6G / 2000D from 1956.
Thank you. Lovely looking car!
Isn't it just!

More A6Gs.... no two seem to be exactly alike, there are several subtle differences between them....































On my shopping list....


Dunk130TC

276 posts

148 months

Wednesday 21st October
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Thanks Dunk - I hadn't noticed the missing fogs! With regards to the manual / auto choice, well there isn't really much choice at the moment, it'd just down to what's available, no surprise there wink
There’s more choice with LHD? I’d consider importing one, with hindsight I would rather a manual gutter sitter than an auto rhd.
Please buy the manual 2.0 on autoscout and save me from an Italian temptress.

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Dunk130TC said:
P5BNij said:
Thanks Dunk - I hadn't noticed the missing fogs! With regards to the manual / auto choice, well there isn't really much choice at the moment, it'd just down to what's available, no surprise there wink
There’s more choice with LHD? I’d consider importing one, with hindsight I would rather a manual gutter sitter than an auto rhd.
Please buy the manual 2.0 on autoscout and save me from an Italian temptress.
There probably is more choice, yes, but not having much experience of LHD I'd rather avoid them if possible. Sounds a bit wuss like in a way, but I could easily use a right hooker for work sometimes (taking the long way home etc driving), there's a security barrier with the keyfob button on the right as you enter the car park and the barrier doesn't stay up long enough to either lean over to the passenger side window or get out, go round to open it and jump back in again!

Got a link to that 2 litre...? I'm getting error 404 when I try to google it wink

Dunk130TC

276 posts

148 months

Thursday 22nd October
quotequote all
Lhd, car park barrier issue? Viz top tips would advise to simply reverse.
Please do / do not / do buy this / my lusted after 2.0 manual Ghibli:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/maserati-ghibli...

Edited by Dunk130TC on Friday 23 October 07:44

P5BNij

Original Poster:

6,967 posts

64 months

Dunk130TC said:
Lhd, car park barrier issue? Viz top tips would advise to simply reverse.
Please do / do not / do buy this / my lusted after 2.0 manual Ghibli:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/maserati-ghibli...

Edited by Dunk130TC on Friday 23 October 07:44
Thought about the reverse move but knowing my luck I'd drive smack bang into someone else trying to exit the car park!

I like the look of that 2.0, love those wheels, they're Millie Miglias aren't they...? Much prefer them to the usual type.

More Maser fare....