Aston Martin Enthusiasts - Miscellaneous

Aston Martin Enthusiasts - Miscellaneous

Author
Discussion

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all

Aston Martin have always issued a steady flow of News Releases.

Nothing for a month.

https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/our-world/news



oilit

1,605 posts

142 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

Aston Martin have always issued a steady flow of News Releases.

Nothing for a month.

https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/our-world/news
except for the gaming chair ....

I agree - I expect an embargo on pr has been implemented whilst an assessment has been completed by the new ceo.

dbs2000

2,397 posts

156 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all
Maybe we'll go back to quality over quantity, its been gimmicky over the last few years to say the least.

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all

Who knows what to believe when reading internet newspaper reports, but here goes;

Mr Vettel will become an Aston Martin Brand Ambassador in 2021. Part of the recent driver announcement. AML will pay a £5 million salary for that role.



KevinBird

789 posts

171 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

Aston Martin have always issued a steady flow of News Releases.

Nothing for a month.

https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/our-world/news
That is odd

Mr.Tremlini

1,085 posts

65 months

Wednesday 16th September 2020
quotequote all
oilit said:
except for the gaming chair ....

I agree - I expect an embargo on pr has been implemented whilst an assessment has been completed by the new ceo.
Sounds feasible.
The gaming chair, or the bottle of Bowmore... or for a price right between those two, a V12 Vantage... clearly I`m the wrong demographic... getmecoat

8Speed

545 posts

30 months

Thursday 17th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

Who knows what to believe when reading internet newspaper reports, but here goes;

Mr Vettel will become an Aston Martin Brand Ambassador in 2021. Part of the recent driver announcement. AML will pay a £5 million salary for that role.


I'm already a bit upset about Perez losing his F1 seat to Vettel - this makes it even worse!!
rolleyes

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Thursday 17th September 2020
quotequote all

8Speed said:
Jon39 said:

Who knows what to believe when reading internet newspaper reports, but here goes;

Mr Vettel will become an Aston Martin Brand Ambassador in 2021. Part of the recent driver announcement. AML will pay a £5 million salary for that role.


I'm already a bit upset about Perez losing his F1 seat to Vettel - this makes it even worse!!
rolleyes

Yes - presumably the image of having a four times champion in the team, was the deciding factor.

I have the impression that so far this year, Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll have been fairly equal. Close qualifying times and often running near to each other in races. In fact Stroll is currently ahead, of Perez in the drivers championship.
Quite a different situation with the Ferrari drivers. Sebastian Vetttel has had some bad luck, but overall has been behind Charles Leclerc.

It will be interesting next year, to see whether one of the Aston Martin drivers, will be repeatedly quicker than the other.



Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Thursday 17th September 2020
quotequote all

Aston Martin took 1st and 2nd places (GTE-Pro) and 1st place (GTE-Am), at todays first practice session for the Le Mans 24 hour race.

The race initially scheduled for June, has been postponed to 19th/20th September 2020.











LTP

730 posts

76 months

Thursday 17th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

Aston Martin took 1st and 2nd places (GTE-Pro) and 1st place (GTE-Am), at todays first practice session for the Le Mans 24 hour race.
I’m having a horrible flashback to last year when, if I recall correctly, after a similar dominant performance in qualifying adjustments to the Astons under the Balance of Performance requirements pushed the Vantages down the field for the actual race.

Perhaps they should qualify with a half-brick under the throttle?

dbs2000

2,397 posts

156 months

Friday 18th September 2020
quotequote all
LTP said:
I’m having a horrible flashback to last year when, if I recall correctly, after a similar dominant performance in qualifying adjustments to the Astons under the Balance of Performance requirements pushed the Vantages down the field for the actual race.

Perhaps they should qualify with a half-brick under the throttle?
My thoughts too. The AM was gimped so badly the race was over for them (/us) within 10 laps.

MO55

2,030 posts

131 months

Friday 18th September 2020
quotequote all
It looks like the lesson of 2019 was learned,,, our grid positions:

GTE Pro
3. #95
@Marco_sorensen

4. #97
@alexlynnracing


GTE Am
4. #98
@RossGunnRacing

5. #90
@ceastwood28

@OfficialTFSport

dbs2000

2,397 posts

156 months

Friday 18th September 2020
quotequote all
MO55 said:
It looks like the lesson of 2019 was learned,,, our grid positions:

GTE Pro
3. #95
@Marco_sorensen

4. #97
@alexlynnracing


GTE Am
4. #98
@RossGunnRacing

5. #90
@ceastwood28

@OfficialTFSport
Lets hope for a good race biggrin

LTP

730 posts

76 months

Saturday 19th September 2020
quotequote all
I'm going to pose a question that I've often contemplated but never researched, so I'm hoping those more knowledgeable about endurance racing and the Le Mans series here can help; with apologies if this is off thread topic.

Surely, in an endurance race of over 8 hours the actual starting position on the grid is not so important as, say F1 at Monaco. So what's the incentive, apart from bragging rights, for going 10/10's in qualifying to only get hit by BoP penalties? What's to stop the teams sandbagging during qualifying? I know pro racing drivers are so skilled at aspects like tyre, fuel and temperature management that if they're in slightly superior machinery they can put in lap after lap at a blistering, competitive pace whilst still having something in reserve - which they'd need for the actual race anyway, as you can't do qualifying laps for the entire duration.

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Saturday 19th September 2020
quotequote all

LTP said:
...... with apologies if this is off thread topic.

...... as you can't do qualifying laps for the entire duration.

No need for any off thread apologies Paul. There was a reason for me starting this topic, but please use it for anything Aston Martin related. You probably noticed that our Aston Martin F1 Team topic started very well, but was then abruptly moved to the F1 forum. There were immediately some unkind words about Mr. E. Jordan and also, almost none of us continued our conversation following the move to the F1 forum. The moderators told me they had to move it, because some PH members have complained in the past, about F1 topics being on marque forums. Hopefully we will be allowed our new Miscellaneous topic, to be used for anything we choose, including Aston Martin racing.

I am no expert of BoP, but it does appear generally to work well. You will remember the very exciting wheel to wheel racing, between Aston Martin and Chevrolet at Le Mans a few years ago. Remarkable for that to happen, after 23 hours of racing.

I don't think BoP decisions are taken based simply on qualifying results. With many races in the WEC series, BoP adjustments seem to be considered over several races. 'Sand bagging' therefore not so effective, but it was thought Ford might have run slower in the races prior to their 50th anniversary Le Mans. Who could object though to a little gaming, after all the Le Mans entertainment they provided with GT40s during the 1960s.

Racing at Le Mans these days, seems to be continuously run almost at qualifying pace. I need to look at the times though, to see if that is correct.

I especially enjoy watching the live on board tv at night (German Eurosport or Youtube for free coverage) . A real sense of speed. Approaching chicanes flat out, then braking at a point which seems impossibly late.




Edited by Jon39 on Saturday 19th September 16:54

LTP

730 posts

76 months

Saturday 19th September 2020
quotequote all
I’m watching the race live and I can’t help but think, having heard that the Porsches dominated qualifying and had a BoP adjustment accordingly, how appropriate it is that “schadenfreude” is a German word. biggrin

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all

2020 Le Mans 24 Hours race, daybreak.

NOW - Live on board - LMP1 Toyota.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSwG5fgjX6k

And we thought an Aston Martin Vantage GTE was fast !


Live Timing - https://live.24h-lemans.com/en/live




Edited by Jon39 on Sunday 20th September 06:51

dbs2000

2,397 posts

156 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
Woohoooooo 😎

Mr.Tremlini

1,085 posts

65 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all
clapbeer

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,050 posts

107 months

Sunday 20th September 2020
quotequote all

dbs2000 said:
Woohoooooo ??

Indeed.

GTE Pro 1st Aston Martin Racing V8 Vantage # 97
.............. 3rd Aston Martin Racing V8 Vantage # 95

GTE Am 1st TFSport V8 Vantage # 90