Tyres for my mk1 MR2

Tyres for my mk1 MR2

Author
Discussion

AW111

Original Poster:

5,686 posts

89 months

Friday 12th June
quotequote all
So it's tyre time for the MR2.

It's a modified mk1a (1986) with 160 HP n/a.
Only weighs 970 kg.

Suspension is standard height but slightly stiffer than stock, with Tokico dampers.

Wheels are 15" mk3 mr2 : I have 4 x 6.5" and 4 x 7"

The current tyres are Pirellis that came with the wheels, and are just too damn noisy on AU's coarse-chip tarmac.

So:
Summer tyres (because Australia), but must cope with wet roads.
Not too loud.
Wear is irrelevant - it's a fun car, not daily.
Must cope with the occasional gravel road.
195/50 R15 on 6.5" rims

I'm considering either Bridgestone Potenza R003 or Michelin PS3.

Anyone have an opinion on either option, or another suggestion?

trickywoo

8,556 posts

186 months

Saturday 13th June
quotequote all
I remember when that size was THE hot hatch size and you could get all the top makes.

Seems from the selection now that it is more budget commuter.

If you can get them and I don’t think you can Goodyear f1 assy 5 are a great tyre for light weight cars.

I think the Michelin is your best option.

swampy442

767 posts

167 months

Saturday 13th June
quotequote all
AD08R's? Not sure what the noise is like but theyre a great all round tyre, I even used them in the snow on my E36 track car lol

AW111

Original Poster:

5,686 posts

89 months

Saturday 13th June
quotequote all
trickywoo said:
I remember when that size was THE hot hatch size and you could get all the top makes.

Seems from the selection now that it is more budget commuter.

If you can get them and I don’t think you can Goodyear f1 assy 5 are a great tyre for light weight cars.

I think the Michelin is your best option.
Thanks.
I can get the Goodyear's in my size, bit they're quite a bit more than even the Michelin's. IIRC about $30/tyre more.

trickywoo

8,556 posts

186 months

Saturday 13th June
quotequote all
AW111 said:
Thanks.
I can get the Goodyear's in my size, bit they're quite a bit more than even the Michelin's. IIRC about $30/tyre more.
Probably go with the Michelin then.

I went Goodyear instead of PS4 because they were a fair bit cheaper.

Red Devil

12,061 posts

164 months

Sunday 14th June
quotequote all
AW111 said:
trickywoo said:
I remember when that size was THE hot hatch size and you could get all the top makes.

Seems from the selection now that it is more budget commuter.

If you can get them and I don’t think you can Goodyear f1 assy 5 are a great tyre for light weight cars.

I think the Michelin is your best option.
Thanks.
I can get the Goodyear's in my size, bit they're quite a bit more than even the Michelin's. IIRC about $30/tyre more.
It is not possible to get 15" Assymetric 5s in Europe. Goodyear doesn't list them (maybe Australia is different or else you're using a different Goodyear tyre).
If they did I would definitely fit them to my Mk2 which is on the stock OEM wheels. My other Mk2 is running 17s for which Assymetric 5s are available.

A friend of mine has Advan AD08Rs on his Mk1. Yokohama have now replaced the AD08R with the AD08RS.