I'm joining the RX8 life style. Caution? Encouragement?

I'm joining the RX8 life style. Caution? Encouragement?

Author
Discussion

Pit Pony

4,319 posts

86 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Personally, unless funds are really tight, I would look for a zero rust car in really really good condition and I'd assume that I need to.budget for a new engine rebuild soon.

Whats the budget for a new engine?
FTFY

Buy a car with a knackered engine as cheap as you can, rebuild it, and at least you know you are good for 80K

Gary C

7,752 posts

144 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Look at it this way.

Buy one thats a bit tatty on the hope the engine is good but then you need to overhaul the engine, you have a tatty car with a good engine

Buy one with a really nice body, then if the engine goes, you will have a nice car with a nice engine.

BUT, if you are worrying about the engine before you have even bought one, are you going to be able to enjoy the car without always wondering and worrying ?

You might be better off with something else.

ZackM

Original Poster:

207 posts

34 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Personally, unless funds are really tight, I would look for a zero rust car in really really good condition and cross fingers about the engine.

Whats the budget ?
Funds are not unlimited. smile

But the main problem is more availability. Please remember, as I said I'm not in the UK, where you have dozens of them, for cheap, everywhere. This particular car for example is the only one I don't have to drive 2 hours just to look at it.

Also, it is the more powerful engine, which is very rare. Most of them are the lower powered engine. Then perfect trim, being the up level with leather and fully loaded and in the perfect interior and exterior colour.

Gary C

7,752 posts

144 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ZackM said:
Gary C said:
Personally, unless funds are really tight, I would look for a zero rust car in really really good condition and cross fingers about the engine.

Whats the budget ?
Funds are not unlimited. smile

But the main problem is more availability. Please remember, as I said I'm not in the UK, where you have dozens of them, for cheap, everywhere. This particular car for example is the only one I don't have to drive 2 hours just to look at it.

Also, it is the more powerful engine, which is very rare. Most of them are the lower powered engine. Then perfect trim, being the up level with leather and fully loaded and in the perfect interior and exterior colour.
Ah, the UK does have a reasonable supply//

ZackM

Original Poster:

207 posts

34 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Look at it this way.

Buy one thats a bit tatty on the hope the engine is good but then you need to overhaul the engine, you have a tatty car with a good engine

Buy one with a really nice body, then if the engine goes, you will have a nice car with a nice engine.

BUT, if you are worrying about the engine before you have even bought one, are you going to be able to enjoy the car without always wondering and worrying ?

You might be better off with something else.
Well, I think worrying about the engine is the whole lifestyle with these cars? The engine needs a lot of attention right?

As for the condition of the car. I won't buy it if it's truly bad. But for example, if it's rust around the brake light on the boot, there are dozens of RX8s being broke for parts. A boot lid is cheap and probably can even be found in the same colour too.

All together, given that they are hard to find here, specially for a good price, if the imperfections are not hard to fix, is it really worth passing on it because of it? The seller already told me the engine was rebuild about 20k km ago, or 12k miles ago.

Gary C

7,752 posts

144 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ZackM said:
Well, I think worrying about the engine is the whole lifestyle with these cars? The engine needs a lot of attention right?

As for the condition of the car. I won't buy it if it's truly bad. But for example, if it's rust around the brake light on the boot, there are dozens of RX8s being broke for parts. A boot lid is cheap and probably can even be found in the same colour too.

All together, given that they are hard to find here, specially for a good price, if the imperfections are not hard to fix, is it really worth passing on it because of it? The seller already told me the engine was rebuild about 20k km ago, or 12k miles ago.
I woudn't say it needs a lot of attention, just understanding that its different I suppose. Keep the ignition system in good fettle, use the right oil. Don't let a failing cat fail the engine, get advice from an owners club.

They are fun.

ZackM

Original Poster:

207 posts

34 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I have also heard these engines are not that great for short trips all the time? But then heard there is a trick if you drive for short, you just need to set it to neutral and rev it to about 4K for about 10 secs and shut the engine off without taking the foot from the gas?

Much of my driving will include short trips. For example my kids school is only a short 1.3 miles from the house. I don't do the school run everyday. But at least once a week. Then to work is about 5 miles of city traffic.Takes me about 30 minutes.

Although on my way home I have the chance to take a longer way, with more open roads to enjoy the drive. smile



Edited by ZackM on Thursday 4th March 21:02

Gary C

7,752 posts

144 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
When people talk about 'short trips' they generally mean about 100 yards. They can be flooded and the rev and turn off allows it to spin unfuelled as it stops.

You will find more info and helpful people here https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewforum.ph...

Lincsls1

1,921 posts

105 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
ZackM said:
I have also heard these engines are not that great for short trips all the time? But then heard there is a trick if you drive for short, you just need to set it to neutral and rev it to about 4K for about 10 secs and shut the engine off without taking the foot from the gas?

Much of my driving will include short trips. For example my kids school is only a short 1.3 miles from the house. I don't do the school run everyday. But at least once a week. Then to work is about 5 miles of city traffic.Takes me about 30 minutes.

Although on my way home I have the chance to take a longer way, with more open roads to enjoy the drive. smile

Edited by ZackM on Thursday 4th March 21:02
I remember with my 192, the oil often looked like it had mayo on the dipstick, I'd have to wipe and recheck a few times before getting nicer oil. This, IIRC is normal on these cars, the car has 2 oil coolers either side of the bumper and in the winter months they were a little to efficient at cooling the oil, meaning it didn't get hot enough to burn condensation off. It was advised (RX8 forums?? can't remember) to block these oil coolers in the winter which I did with no ill effect and it helped with reducing this mayo.
If this idea concerns you, bare in mind the Jap spec cars don't have these coolers, I guess Mazda expected the car to be driven harder in the UK.



Lincsls1

1,921 posts

105 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Weirdly, these little quirks remind you that you're driving something a bit different, a bit special. I didn't find it a negative and I didn't worry about the engine, just looked after it.
One time I flooded mine, by starting it and moving it a few feet then switching straight off, it was a real bh to get going again. The solution was to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank for a while to 'blow' the fuel out. Then put fuse back in and try again. It can take several attempts, it will stink of fuel at the exhaust and obviously its not good for the cats, but needs must. You will also need to have another car connected to the battery to cope with the extended cranking. I never flooded it again!

rotaryjam

162 posts

66 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
There is a way to avoid flooding, usefull If you need to move the car for example.

Basically you just need to hold the revs at 3k for 10 seconds then turn it off, which is from the official manual no less. There is a similar alternative method also listed on this page:

http://www.rotarywiki.com/index.php?title=Rotary_E...

ZackM

Original Poster:

207 posts

34 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
I went to see a RX8.

Cranked the engine and I thought it somehow sounded like a new starter. I asked and the answer was, yes, new starter. Wasn't an immediate start. But also didn't take long. Very loud starter though. This is the first RX8 I have ever been in. So maybe it is supposed to sound like that.

Left the engine idling for a while as I looked around the car. At first, no white smoke and engine running smooth. Then lots of white smoke started coming out and never went away and the engine after a bit of the white smoke show, started idling rough.

It was very difficult to see anything under the car. But there was something hanging from the engine and touching the ground. Looked like some sort of belt at first. Like one of those cargo belts one uses to tie cargo. Looked wide and flatter. But looking closer maybe some sort of hose. Don't know what it was.

It looks like the sills have been recently painted.

swampy442

1,089 posts

176 months

Thursday 11th March
quotequote all
Was it smoke or condensation from a cold exhaust?