Bmw 2002 - anybody seen any....

Bmw 2002 - anybody seen any....

Author
Discussion

R66bby

Original Poster:

135 posts

76 months

Tuesday 4th November 2014
quotequote all
Hey guys I'm looking to start a project car.
I'm looking for a bmw 2002. Has anybody see any around?

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Tuesday 4th November 2014
quotequote all
Couple outside my window.



What's your budget and what are you after exactly?

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Tuesday 4th November 2014
quotequote all
White car is actually my partners and we've owned it for a few years.



Blue car is well worn and has usual chips, scratches etc but is a lovely drive and used most days. It's an automotive mountain goat and racks up the miles with ease. It isn't actually for sale, however we do have a lack of storage so if you're interested? It's on Minilites now but apart from that, looks as per the photo.


R66bby

Original Poster:

135 posts

76 months

Wednesday 5th November 2014
quotequote all
Wow very nice wink

I'm looking for a round rear light model that would require a little cosmetic work etc.
it would be for a project / restoration car. Max I would be looking to spend is £4000.
Obvz Less for a full project/restoration car.

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Wednesday 5th November 2014
quotequote all
Call James @ JFi Classics and say I sent you.

http://www.jficlassiccars.co.uk/

£4K is the lower end of what's likely to be out there to be honest. A round tail light tii will cost you £12k+ and that has had a knock-on effect on the regular, carb fed 02's. Incidentally, the carb fed cars are a better option for daily / regular use. Kugelfischer injection can be tough to set-up and expensive to fix, when it goes wrong. A 28/36 Weber is a far nicer thing to deal with.

If you're quick, I know James has a Riviera blue early car at £4.5k

R66bby

Original Poster:

135 posts

76 months

Wednesday 5th November 2014
quotequote all
Yes iv been emailing James and he sent me that cars details yesterday. I just wish it was £500 less and i would snap it up.

Do you commute in your '02?
What kind of fuel figures do you get?

My commute would be about 80miles return at the moment. But looking to move closer to work so then the '02 would be fine.

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Wednesday 5th November 2014
quotequote all
I use it for long and short journeys. Average 30'ish MPG. Might be worth mailing James and seeing if there's any wriggle room on price? 500 would be pushing it though, as it's well worth the asking price.

Jabosoc

2,335 posts

175 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
Those are really lovely Mark. I think if I were looking for one (some day, hopefully) at the lower end of the market I'd be considering 1602s which haven't seen such a tremendous price rise as the 2002s.

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
Jabosoc said:
Those are really lovely Mark. I think if I were looking for one (some day, hopefully) at the lower end of the market I'd be considering 1602s which haven't seen such a tremendous price rise as the 2002s.
That's changing though. In a lot of ways the 1602 is actually a sweeter drive and people are seeing past the badge.

s m

17,728 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
R66bby said:
Wow very nice wink

I'm looking for a round rear light model that would require a little cosmetic work etc.
it would be for a project / restoration car. Max I would be looking to spend is £4000.
Obvz Less for a full project/restoration car.
Seen this one obviously?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C554484#


s m

17,728 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
Often see this one on way home - makes my 25 yo car feel new


s m

17,728 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
e21Mark said:
Jabosoc said:
Those are really lovely Mark. I think if I were looking for one (some day, hopefully) at the lower end of the market I'd be considering 1602s which haven't seen such a tremendous price rise as the 2002s.
That's changing though. In a lot of ways the 1602 is actually a sweeter drive and people are seeing past the badge.
click

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
s m said:
e21Mark said:
Jabosoc said:
Those are really lovely Mark. I think if I were looking for one (some day, hopefully) at the lower end of the market I'd be considering 1602s which haven't seen such a tremendous price rise as the 2002s.
That's changing though. In a lot of ways the 1602 is actually a sweeter drive and people are seeing past the badge.
click
That example, as well as being the less desirable square tail light model, also has 'issues' and isn't really representative. I declined an offer of £7k on mine.....



s m

17,728 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
e21Mark said:
That example, as well as being the less desirable square tail light model, also has 'issues' and isn't really representative. I declined an offer of £7k on mine.....

I wouldn't argue with you - if he can't go over 4k though that's the sort of stuff that is about.

More money, as you say, will get a nicer car generally

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
s m said:
e21Mark said:
That example, as well as being the less desirable square tail light model, also has 'issues' and isn't really representative. I declined an offer of £7k on mine.....

I wouldn't argue with you - if he can't go over 4k though that's the sort of stuff that is about.

More money, as you say, will get a nicer car generally
No, you're right and he'd be better getting something whilst his budget allows. There's quite a strong demand for 02's though, so I'd thoroughly inspect anything that has hung around for too long, as there's usually good reason. The car at JFi for £4.5k is a great basis for a rolling restoration, as it's really solid. Some money could also be clawed back by selling bits like the twin 40's and fitting OE.

s m

17,728 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
Do you know this one Mark - a square light one? £3900

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/classic-bmw-2002-1974...


e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Thursday 6th November 2014
quotequote all
s m said:
Do you know this one Mark - a square light one? £3900

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/classic-bmw-2002-1974...

I don't, but I know someone who does. wink

It has a lot of rot that needs repairing. Those rear turrets are NLA and as you know, welding and fabrication is bloody expensive.

Jabosoc

2,335 posts

175 months

Friday 7th November 2014
quotequote all
Let's hope somebody with the abilities to repair it properly snaps it up then.

Tea Pot One

1,710 posts

172 months

Friday 7th November 2014
quotequote all
I love the 2002's ... there are I think three in a road near me in various states of repair where someone obviously does them up. I think I saw one with a roll cage so they probably race them.

e21Mark

12,783 posts

117 months

Friday 7th November 2014
quotequote all
Tea Pot One said:
I love the 2002's ... there are I think three in a road near me in various states of repair where someone obviously does them up. I think I saw one with a roll cage so they probably race them.
SW London?