Run flats v 'normal' tyres

Run flats v 'normal' tyres

Author
Discussion

wiggy001

5,967 posts

236 months

Tuesday 26th May 2015
quotequote all
Jonsv8 said:
The Eagle asym 2 have quite soft sidewalks so are quite a change from rft although I really like them
Just made this change on my Z4C... it's nice not feeling like every rut in the road will put me in a ditch/the next m-way lane!

Roland7137

2 posts

2 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
HI

I have an 2017 X5 M50D and i have to change my tires and someone told me that will be better if i`ll change my RFT to normal ones.
Please can someone tell me if i`ll do the right thing? If yes can someone advise me which ones to use?

Thanks

Roland7137

gizlaroc

16,669 posts

189 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Roland7137 said:
HI

I have an 2017 X5 M50D and i have to change my tires and someone told me that will be better if i`ll change my RFT to normal ones.
Please can someone tell me if i`ll do the right thing? If yes can someone advise me which ones to use?

Thanks

Roland7137
It will ride 100x better.

Although the latest Goodyear runflats seem to be pretty good to be fair. But still, on proper tyres it will handle 10x better and will be so, so, so much more comfortable and show you what the car should feel like.

Not sure if the cost savings are still there as well as on my 5 series there is not much in it now between a normal and run flat tyre.

What tyre sizes is your car on?

For me it would depend what run flats are available whether I stuck with them or not.

Court_S

4,694 posts

142 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
I agree with the above, the car should feel much better with standard tyres.

The run flats on my other half’s recently bought 125i were dreadful. It was a completely different car once they were removed.

Riggie

166 posts

90 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
gizlaroc said:
It will ride 100x better.

Although the latest Goodyear runflats seem to be pretty good to be fair. But still, on proper tyres it will handle 10x better and will be so, so, so much more comfortable and show you what the car should feel like.

Not sure if the cost savings are still there as well as on my 5 series there is not much in it now between a normal and run flat tyre.

What tyre sizes is your car on?

For me it would depend what run flats are available whether I stuck with them or not.
If you have staggered tyre sizes, you need to stick with BMW Star marked tyres to prevent transfer box issues. I thought it was a load of rubbish and went with non-star tyres and found out the hard way.

Roland7137

2 posts

2 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
gizlaroc

Thank you for your quick answer. i have 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear. Now i have Dunlop Maxx but are little bit bumpy...i hope you understand what i mean, and the fuel consume is quite high. Sorry about all this but is my 1st BMW and x5 M50D. I was looking for Vedrestein Quatrac Pro all season.
I quite don`t know which to use. Some told me a Michelin Latitude sport 3. What do you think about it?

Thank you once again.

g3org3y

16,767 posts

156 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Roland7137 said:
gizlaroc

Thank you for your quick answer. i have 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear. Now i have Dunlop Maxx but are little bit bumpy...i hope you understand what i mean, and the fuel consume is quite high. Sorry about all this but is my 1st BMW and x5 M50D. I was looking for Vedrestein Quatrac Pro all season.
I quite don`t know which to use. Some told me a Michelin Latitude sport 3. What do you think about it?

Thank you once again.
I agree with Riggie above.

My understanding with the X Drive models on a staggered set up is that you need to use BMW Approved (star marked tyres) to ensure the rolling radius is consistent otherwise it'll cause bother with the transfer box. Given that your car is new(ish) at 2017, if you were to run into any issues, I suspect BMW would wash their hands of it if you had non approved tyres.

gizlaroc

16,669 posts

189 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Roland7137 said:
gizlaroc

Thank you for your quick answer. i have 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear. Now i have Dunlop Maxx but are little bit bumpy...i hope you understand what i mean, and the fuel consume is quite high. Sorry about all this but is my 1st BMW and x5 M50D. I was looking for Vedrestein Quatrac Pro all season.
I quite don`t know which to use. Some told me a Michelin Latitude sport 3. What do you think about it?

Thank you once again.
To be fair, the Dunlop Sport Maxx are one of the better run flats.

As said above, you do need to be careful with awd cars making sure the tyres are matched rolling radius wise.

I'm nut sure what moving to non run flat compared to what you have now would truly offer in all honesty, maybe slightly more comfort.


Have a look on www.realoem.com to see if they offer any BMW star marked tyres in non run flat for your car.


Vroomer

1,546 posts

145 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I've never had any problem with runflats and don't understand why there is such vociferous opposition.

mmm-five

8,936 posts

249 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Vroomer said:
I've never had any problem with runflats and don't understand why there is such vociferous opposition.
The first generation RFs were not good...in that the sidewalls were so stiff they cracked wheels, rattled your teeth out, and made the steering very light (on BMWs anyway)...and were about twice the price of non-RFs.

The 3rd4/th gen RFs you get now are much better...and the manufacturers have tuned the suspension better to take away some of the harshness. Prices have come down significantly too.

The 19" RFs I've got on my F31 320D don't feel any worse than the slightly higher profile 18" non-RFs I had on my e46 330D.

gizlaroc

16,669 posts

189 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Vroomer said:
I've never had any problem with runflats and don't understand why there is such vociferous opposition.
Depends on the car and the tyres.

Also, if you have never had a problem I guess you have never tried it on a decent proper tyre either and seen what that brings to the table?

g3org3y

16,767 posts

156 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
mmm-five said:
Vroomer said:
I've never had any problem with runflats and don't understand why there is such vociferous opposition.
The first generation RFs were not good...in that the sidewalls were so stiff they cracked wheels, rattled your teeth out, and made the steering very light (on BMWs anyway)...and were about twice the price of non-RFs.

The 3rd4/th gen RFs you get now are much better...and the manufacturers have tuned the suspension better to take away some of the harshness. Prices have come down significantly too.

The 19" RFs I've got on my F31 320D don't feel any worse than the slightly higher profile 18" non-RFs I had on my e46 330D.
The Bridgestone RE050A RFTs on my E91 (and Z4) were/are crap. Replaced the ones on the E91 with Goodyear Eagle F1 RFTs which are much much better. Wife uses car (work and transporting baby g3org3y) and given no spare, keeping it on RFTs makes sense.

Our X5 has Continental WinterContact (Star marked) RFTs in 18 inch favour. Have the 20 inch summer wheels in the garage which are Dunlop RFTs (also star marked). I'll be keeping it on RFTs...because wife/child. I think I would like to keep it on the 18s so may go for some All Seasons.

The Z4 I'll be changing at some point. Annoyingly, there's a lot of tread on all 4 tyres.

My 630, tyres getting low, 19s and also on RFTs. They'll be getting changed to non RFTs (prob Michelin Pilot Sports).