E61 V8 Bearding

E61 V8 Bearding

Author
Discussion

ATM

Original Poster:

13,398 posts

188 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Spuffington said:
jboy72 said:
Ellieb10 said:
My E61 545i has adaptive drive - I find it the only thing I really dislike about the car. Why BMW thought lighter steering at speed is desirable is beyond me. Perhaps the 550i's steering is recalibrated? Anyway, I run an Alpina B5 alignment pattern which makes a slight improvement.

I'm interested in a slightly more expressive back box too. Thought about the mod where you pull some of the wadding out and reweld the back boxes but decided it was too ghetto.
Do you perhaps have active steering rather than adaptive drive? I have never heard a bad word said about adaptive drive... plus I think it adjusts the suspension rather than the steering rack...

Edited by jboy72 on Thursday 30th July 16:48
I'm with you on this. Adaptive Drive is constantly in play but messing with the "stiffness" of the anti-roll bars, does nothing to the steering. The way to tell if you have it is not only how flat you corner, how supple the suspension is when not cornering but also the presence of a reasonably large hydraulic box in the centre rear of the car. It sits between the two anti-roll bars and modulates their tension based on the cornering forces.

Ok, so not unlikely that you could have Active Steering AND Adaptive Drive but I would suggest it's the former which will make the steering light, not the latter. Never had any issue with mine and made the 550i SO much more comfortable and capable than my 535d lci.
I dont have that on my bus



Lurking

39 posts

126 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Another E61 545i owner here smile I've had it a few months ready for the arrival of first kid.
Very happy with, can throw loads in the back, waft round the M25 and then smilesmile when you floor it.

Still need to sort out the mystery of the cables in the glove box so I can listen to MP3s (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=1526781&nmt=another+e60%5Ce61+blue+tooth+question%2E%2E%2E%2E&mid=245638) but very happy otherwise.




dom9

7,379 posts

178 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Lurking said:
Another E61 545i owner here smile I've had it a few months ready for the arrival of first kid.
Very happy with, can throw loads in the back, waft round the M25 and then smilesmile when you floor it.

Still need to sort out the mystery of the cables in the glove box so I can listen to MP3s (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=1526781&nmt=another+e60%5Ce61+blue+tooth+question%2E%2E%2E%2E&mid=245638) but very happy otherwise.
Does that make us 2 of 8? The guy who sold me my car reckoned there were only 8 left in the UK... Not sure if that was e61 545i or SE spec or what though!?

Ellieb10

63 posts

122 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
jboy72 said:
Do you perhaps have active steering rather than adaptive drive? I have never heard a bad word said about adaptive drive... plus I think it adjusts the suspension rather than the steering rack...

Edited by jboy72 on Thursday 30th July 16:48
My bad Jboy - I've got "S217 dynamic steering" and "S229A active drive" but the steering is the one that bugs me the most (obviously). Today I have learnt to concentrate more when reading the forums. wink

Edited by Ellieb10 on Friday 31st July 15:33




Edited by Ellieb10 on Friday 31st July 15:42

jboy72

375 posts

150 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Ellieb10 said:
My bad Jboy - I've got "S217 dynamic steering" and "S229A active drive" but the steering is the one that bugs me the most (obviously). Today I have learnt to concentrate more when reading the forums. wink

Edited by Ellieb10 on Friday 31st July 15:33




Edited by Ellieb10 on Friday 31st July 15:42
Interesting - I must admit I had heard of neither! But I get the idea - I am not too fond of my "active steering". Unfortunately for me the only thing I really get to contrast it with is the steering in my Alfa 156 which is old school, direct, lightly assisted, 2.2 turns lock to lock near-perfection. Hardly a fair fight really.

Lurking

39 posts

126 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
@dom9 I think there are only 7 manual 545i E61's still on the road from last time I looked at the how many left web site smile

How long have you had yours?

dom9

7,379 posts

178 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Lurking said:
@dom9 I think there are only 7 manual 545i E61's still on the road from last time I looked at the how many left web site smile

How long have you had yours?
Mine is an auto (actually wanted it as it's around town most of the time and on motorway and dog duties) and I've only had it a couple of months but I LOVE it! The new exhaust gives it such a menacing growl and in SE spec, it's a bit of a sleeper!


Lurking

39 posts

126 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Very nice. If/when mine needs anything doing to the exhaust I'd look into a bit more noise.
Mine is SE and debadged, always amusing to surprise people!

ATM

Original Poster:

13,398 posts

188 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
Lurking said:
Very nice. If/when mine needs anything doing to the exhaust I'd look into a bit more noise.
Mine is SE and debadged, always amusing to surprise people!
Even with the badge I still surprise people.

hornetrider

63,161 posts

174 months

Friday 31st July 2015
quotequote all
I don't want to debadge mine. My inner child wants the eleventy billion 520d drivers to know I'm driving the Big Dog as I glide effortlessly past... hehe

Equally, I always like to spot a fellow V8 on the road, so it's cool to keep dem badges.

dom9

7,379 posts

178 months

Saturday 1st August 2015
quotequote all
Mine is still there but I am considering debadging...

ATM

Original Poster:

13,398 posts

188 months

Saturday 1st August 2015
quotequote all
I just had a brief interaction with a 2007 530i e61. The demonstration was swiftly over.

philmots

4,566 posts

229 months

Saturday 1st August 2015
quotequote all
ATM said:
I just had a brief interaction with a 2007 530i e61. The demonstration was swiftly over.
How do you find it compares with other stuff you've had?

ATM

Original Poster:

13,398 posts

188 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
philmots said:
ATM said:
I just had a brief interaction with a 2007 530i e61. The demonstration was swiftly over.
How do you find it compares with other stuff you've had?
I'm quite impressed with it. For a daily run about which is massive and a warp drive when required and all for 8 grand. You can glide over speed bumps and enjoy country lanes in it too. I'm still organising some go flat tyres and then hopefully it will be even better.

I'm getting various messages popping up on the screen which could be worrying if these things bother you. I've had it 2 weeks and so far I've had these:

Engage Park - every time I stop
Oil level - not checked it
Reverse light bulb failure
Airbag warning

hornetrider

63,161 posts

174 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
You've had an oil warning yet you haven't checked the level? The mind boggles.

Of the many aspects of this car that are impressive to me, one is the fact that it absolutely does not use any oil. All my six pot Beemers have enjoyed a drink, the V8 doesn't drink a drop.

So... I'd check it out.

dom9

7,379 posts

178 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
I had a low water warning one morning... Topped off the header tank and that hasn't reappeared... Can't see a leak and it doesn't seem to be steaming though!?

Quite often get a PDC failure that clears itself. Probably the fairly common 'bad connection' with one of the parking sensors. Has behaved recently.

Last night the transmission threw up a warning and locked itself in 3rd/ 4th.

Didn't fancy cruising for hours on the motorway at 4,500-5,000rpm so pulled over and turned the ignition off.

Restarted and that seemed to have cleared itself fine. Think it got confused with some heavy-footed inputs in the overtaking lane.

Otherwise, did a few hundred miles yesterday, returning from Crete and having to pick up the monster and was as effortless and comfortable as always!

philmots

4,566 posts

229 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
Wow, the oil level i'd be checking asap, you can do it through the idrive or if you're like me and don't trust it there's a dipstick hiding at the back of engine..

Are the other warnings just at random? Have you actually checked the reverse lights? It could be the wiring in the boot hinges but if it's seemingly at random and combined with the other errors I'd be looking at the battery, they're properly sensitive to tired batteries. If it's never had one it will need one now.

ATM

Original Poster:

13,398 posts

188 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
The oil level only popped up once. I think it was on Friday. Its not popped up since. What oil do I need anyway?

Spuffington

1,131 posts

137 months

Monday 3rd August 2015
quotequote all
Battery would be my first guess, particularly random and seemingly unconnected messages.

wsurfa

2,830 posts

164 months

Tuesday 4th August 2015
quotequote all
Is it heresy to also be looking at S6 estates? £3-5k more, but 60bhp extra... Plus a V10 can never be a bad idea can it...?